Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · High School volleyball

leewoolery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · High School volleyball

Local team finished strong this season heading into tournament.

These are for newspaper coverage, feature stories and my website.

© Lee Woolery Speedshot Photo

Junior outside hitter Camryn Moeller kills over a Piqua defender

Senior libero Victoria Holland serves against Piqua

Senior setter Katie Jackson passes ball to teammate

Senior defender Caroline Pratt bumps to setter

West Virginia-bound Katie Demeo records another kill against Piqua

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:28 AM
Top Gun
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · High School volleyball

leewoolery wrote:
Local team finished strong this season heading into tournament.

These are for newspaper coverage, feature stories and my website.

Lee Woolery,

I like the photos and having essentially the same setup as you! I will comment that when I shoot prep sports in less than ideal situations I will sacrifice shutter speed for ISO/ASA. There are multiple venues and sports that I shoot at 1/2000s or faster because they have lighting to accommodate it (i.e. professional venues, NBA, NHL, and NFL).

When I am shooting high school venues or collegiate venues I will lower the shutter speed to 1/1000s and drop the ISO to make up for the difference in the shadows/highlights. With the Canon 1DX, I experience a fair amount of flattening above 10,000 ISO (while it is still sharp, it lacks the definition of lower ISO photos)....which I shoot at a fair amount of the time and you are probably in the same boat. The nice thing about high school sports is that they are relatively slower compared to collegiate/pro sports that necessitate the high shutter speed.

-Isaiah

Oct 16, 2016 at 05:57 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · High School volleyball

I'll agree with Top Gun on lowering your ISO, really no need to shoot 2000ss, I cover volleyball a lot, I will routinely shoot at 640ss, and this is covering high level high school, collegiate, and even pro level. Yes you get some blur at that slow but as long as the face is tack sharp then the blur is no big deal, you could drop your ISO in half and still have plenty of ss, or drop to say 8000 and go to f3.5 or f4, It is nice when you can run the ss up to 1000 or more, but when it is costing you sharpness, and you don't need that fast of a shutter, then why do it. Either way keep practicing, and trying new things.

Andy

Oct 17, 2016 at 09:16 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.