Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Anyone using LR with newer Intel CPUs?

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using LR with newer Intel CPUs?

Christmas season is coming up, and since I'm the one who buys the non-clothing presents I get anyway, I'm curious if there's any reason to upgrade past my i7-4930k to get better performance out of lightroom on the CPU/RAM side. The things that have always plagued me in LR have been rendering 1:1 previews (about 4 seconds per preview when swapping between images) and the slight delays with cropping/brushing/etc.

I installed an m.2 Samsung 950 pro 512gb NVMe drive several months back, but my pc design is rather old and doesn't natively support those drives. However, I did notice a very small speed bump in some functions when all the catalog/cache/etc. files are on that drive.

Just looking for a worthwhile change up/excuse to update my workstation.

Also, how's Windows 10 treating people?

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:43 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using LR with newer Intel CPUs?

Windows 10 is very nice.
The latest Lr is using smart previews to edit.
When I added a gtx 1070 to my 6700K based rig.... I have removed 95% of any remaining lag.
Especially when doing any brunch touch up work.

-mark

Oct 16, 2016 at 04:40 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using LR with newer Intel CPUs?

No complaints on Windows 10, it has a lot of the stuff I liked about 7 and none of what I hated about 8.

I'm using a similar era Intel still, lots of ram and fast SSDs. Honestly, I'm not sure how much more CPU is going to help. Are you using the onboard Intel graphics or are you using a beefier graphics card?

It is sometimes hard to know where the bottleneck is with LR.

Oct 16, 2016 at 04:45 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using LR with newer Intel CPUs?

Lightroom is surprisingly undemanding of the computer's video subsystem. Once it gets the image up on the screen, it's static (until you do something to it). Compare that to rendering video, which is hugely demanding.

As I understand it, the top bottlenecks are RAM and the speed of the device that's storing the catalogue. You want your catalogue on an SSD. Having the actual source files on an SSD certainly doesn't hurt, but isn't as important.

Here's good general advice for tuning your system from Adobe: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/performance-hints.html?sdid=KBQWU

On the question of CPUs, here's an excellent analysis from a system builder:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Lightroom-CC-6-Multi-Core-Performance-649/

According to these folks, circa May 12, 2015 (so a bit dated now), recommended CPUs for Lightroom CC/6 are these ones:
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz Quad Core 8MB 88W
Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz Six Core 15MB 140W or
Intel Xeon E5-1650 V3 3.5GHz Six Core 15MB 140W
Intel Xeon E5-1680 V3 3.2GHz Eight Core 20MB 140W

Oct 16, 2016 at 05:17 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using LR with newer Intel CPUs?

Saw that pugetsystems link a long time ago, it basically suggests the cpu I currently use (4930k and 5930k are very similar, and the 6850k is basically the current iteration).

M.2 NVMe drives are about 2-3x faster than the fastest sata SSDs available, which is why I installed one.

It sounds like adobe gave up on trying to be any faster with high-resolution photo development and focused on miniatures that don't always show stray hairs/etc. Too bad they don't want to improve the program's actual efficiency.

I use a GTX770 in my system because I see it as a hybrid-purpose pc. I wouldn't really have any use for a graphics card upgrade outside improving LR performance, but AFAIK it doesn't affect preview rendering speeds.

Oct 16, 2016 at 08:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

beechhouse

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using LR with newer Intel CPUs?

M.2 NVMe drives are about 2-3x faster than the fastest sata SSDs available, which is why I installed one.

That's only true if the M.2 is configured over the PCIe 3.0 4x channel. That would be setup in BIOS. If your M.2 Drive is connected over SATA, you'll only be able to achieve SATA throughput/bandwidth which tops out at about ~500-750 megabytes per second. One SSD connected to SATAIII will only achieve around 480MB/s real world. 2 or 3 SSD's in a RAID 0 might reach the 500-750 depending on the size of SSDs.

LR, much like video editing, requires a lot bandwidth from your preview drive. 1 SSD assigned as the preview drive will definitely improve performance. The best performance you'll see is from a 4 lane PCIe 3.0 SSD. Like the Kingston Predator 240GB. It can reach 1.2 GB/s bandwidth. Which is great for large file transfer.

Right now, only recent motherboards have true M.2 ports that are connected to the PCIe port. Older mobos use M.2 sharing over the SATA and PCIe.

New mobos also have a free SATAe or SATA Express channel that can reach similar throughput of a PCIe 3.0 4x channel.

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:43 PM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone using LR with newer Intel CPUs?

Thanks for the info - I am in the same boat. But the article doesn't mention anything about changing filters in the development module.

Does anyone experience delays when changing between gradient, radial filters and cropping modes?

Will a video card upgrade address the speed in changing filters and the crop tool?

Oct 18, 2016 at 05:58 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone using LR with newer Intel CPUs?

Littleguy,
Never had issue with transitioning between brush and say gradient tool.

In the background, I have the work space set to 40GB. I edit some large weddings for clients.
I also run 1 catalog per wedding.
This is just me... I like to run lean as possible.

Something that does affect switching between images is if the sharpness is applied.
I have moved all sharping as a last, large group sync.

I do have SSD for OS and a separate SSD for workspace.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:52 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone using LR with newer Intel CPUs?

In fact I installed it using an adapter via one of the PCIe 3.0 8x slots on my motherboard because I understand a bit about bus speeds and bottlenecks. It's just that my cpu is an older model and the tech isn't fully supported, and plus it may not make a huge difference anyway with lightroom.

Oct 26, 2016 at 06:02 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password