Thanks

greg

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:09 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Pro P&S (Canon?)

Hi Greg,

About a year ago, my nephew asked this question, and I suggested the Panasonic FZ1000. It has a 1" sensor (13.2 mm x 8.8 mm), same as the G7X and RX10-/RX100-series, and an equivalent 25-400mm lens, with f/2.8-4. It's not "pocketable" like the RX100-series, but it has a decent superzoom, and he's taken a lot of excellent photos with it. You should be able to find a used FZ1000 in excellent or better condition, for under $600. The new FZ2500 and RX10 II look pretty good too (maybe better), but they'll bust your budget wide open.

If you want "pocketable", then the G7X and RX100-series are worth consideration, but they're limited to about 100mm to 120mm focal lengths. The G1X with a slightly larger 1.5" sensor (18.7mm x 14.0mm) and 28-112mm lens also looks interesting. I've heard at least a few FM'ers say they prefer the G1X over the newer G1X II, but I have no personal experience with them. You can compare sensor performance at Photons to Photos, where you'll find that there's not a lot of difference, but the RX10 II and G7X seem to lead the pack.

I use the RX100 and X100S as my 'ultra-light' travel kit, but it's lacking at the long end (max. equiv. 100mm). My next-kit-up is the X-E2 with 14/2.8 and 18-55 OIS, and SL1 with 70-200/4L IS and 1.4x III, which is best carried in a small bag (e.g. Domke F-5XC), but it's way more capable that the smaller kit. You don't often have to change lenses very often, when you have two cameras with three lenses.

Depending on reviews following its introduction, I'm thinking about replacing my X-E2 + SL1 kit with an M5 and EF-M lenses (plus maybe the EF 70-200/4L IS). Its APS-C sensor provides significantly improved DR and noise compared with the smaller sensors (based on 80D performance), and it's very small (barring the 70-2002/4L IS).

Jim

Oct 16, 2016 at 07:35 AM
gheller
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Pro P&S (Canon?)

Great input, thx!

greg

Oct 17, 2016 at 01:40 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Pro P&S (Canon?)

jcolwell wrote:
I've heard at least a few FM'ers say they prefer the G1X over the newer G1X II, but I have no personal experience with them.

That would be me and yes I much prefer the original though quirky G1X to the Mark II, for sheer IQ in a small camera it is still unbeatable IMHO (although it's not easily pocketable and has no close focus ability without a closeup filter). The images look almost exactly like an 18 meg Canon APS-C camera, except they are in 3:4 format

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:46 AM
RjCruz22

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Pro P&S (Canon?)

You might want to consider checking other video camera options as I found mine at http://www.camerarunner.com
You'll also get best tips on how to and what camera to buy. Good luck on choosing!

Oct 17, 2016 at 05:39 AM
vigna
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Pro P&S (Canon?)

Recently acquired Panasonic TZ110 with 4K video, voted as European best compact travel camera and well prized

Oct 17, 2016 at 05:56 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Pro P&S (Canon?)

vigna wrote:
Recently acquired Panasonic TZ110 with 4K video, voted as European best compact travel camera and well prized

Looks like a nice camera. It's called the ZS100 in North America. The 25-250mm (equiv) lens might just squeak into Greg's "longer" lens canegory. The f/2.8-5.9 aperture doesn't really qualify for "faster", but it might be a good compromise, because it's pretty small.

Oct 17, 2016 at 06:21 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Pro P&S (Canon?)

jcolwell wrote:
I've heard at least a few FM'ers say they prefer the G1X over the newer G1X II, but I have no personal experience with them.

dhphoto wrote:
That would be me and yes I much prefer the original though quirky G1X to the Mark II, for sheer IQ in a small camera it is still unbeatable IMHO (although it's not easily pocketable and has no close focus ability without a closeup filter). The images look almost exactly like an 18 meg Canon APS-C camera, except they are in 3:4 format

Hi David, you're right. I recall that you weren't the only person to express this POV.

Oct 17, 2016 at 06:22 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Pro P&S (Canon?)

jcolwell wrote:
Hi David, you're right. I recall that you weren't the only person to express this POV.

No Jeff Nolten is also a big fan of the G1X amongst others. It's a shame I found the Mark II so poor, but I really did, IMHO it was a big step backwards

Oct 17, 2016 at 07:11 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Pro P&S (Canon?)

I'm also a big fan of the original G1X. Never felt the need to go to the lower MP v.II. Close focus is usually fine for me, but you just have to know that just about any subjects under 3-4' will require pushing the macro setting. I seldom take close-up lenses, but I tested a whole range, with excellent results. Tough little pro camera with great IQ for its size.

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:34 AM

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best Pro P&S (Canon?)

If we bring the Panasonic cameras into the equation, the LX100 looks like a rad unit. A dream pocket camera.

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:58 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best Pro P&S (Canon?)

Gunzorro wrote:
I'm also a big fan of the original G1X. Never felt the need to go to the lower MP v.II. Close focus is usually fine for me, but you just have to know that just about any subjects under 3-4' will require pushing the macro setting. I seldom take close-up lenses, but I tested a whole range, with excellent results. Tough little pro camera with great IQ for its size.

Yes, the quick double-press of the left hand side of the rear controller (from memory) to go into macro mode takes a second, then you can comfortably shoot a fairly close portrait. It becomes second nature

The G1X really is a quirky beast, it benefits from the JJC auto lens cap which is great and makes the camera slimmer too. I use a small wrist cord instead of a strap

It's almost a digital throwback but for some reason I am very attached to it, and the RAW files really are great. If the G1XII had been a similar camera with a proper built in viewfinder instead of the horrid hotshoe one it would have been perfect

The Eos M5 with a fixed lens is what I'd have liked it to become

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:39 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best Pro P&S (Canon?)

Not sure if anyone was following this, but just ordered the Lumix DMC-LX100S (the retro silver and brown one).

Has great reviews. A bit less reach than I originally was desiring, but overall may be the best bet for my needs.

Once I put it thru the paces, I will submit my thoughts and sample images

Aloha!

greg

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:16 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.