New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Second system

Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Second system

Maybe it's the onset of middle age, or possibly a general lack of exercise and fitness, but lately I've really been feeling the weight of my Nikon gear, and have developed an interest in the possibility of putting together a basic interchangeable lens mirrorless kit.

The two systems that seem most interesting to me are Fuji (X-Pro2 or possibly the X-T2?) and the Olympus micro 4/3s (E-M1?).

Anyone here have experience using either (or both) of these systems alongside full frame Nikon? Any thoughts on the pros and cons of each? Or would I be better off just picking up some lighter Nikon stuff (a D7200 and some 1.8 primes, for example)?

Any input appreciated.

C

Oct 16, 2016 at 03:37 AM
Surfnsun
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Second system

I don't have experience yet with Fuji, but I'll be investing in a X-T2 + a couple small primes for a light carry kit. Leaning towards initially going after the 16mm f/1.4 + 56mm f/1.2. They have some stellar small primes and that's a lot of what attracts me to Fuji.

Oct 16, 2016 at 03:54 AM
Dj R
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Second system

buy a used mirrorless kit from someone getting out of the game.
it may be just what the doctor ordered.

this way if you love it, 1. you can keep it and save money. 2. you can flip it, and break even, then buy the exact mirrorless stuff that you want.
or if you don't like it, you just sell it all and break even.
no risk.

Oct 16, 2016 at 04:11 AM
sputnik
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Second system

I started with a Panasonic m43-kit to complement my Nikon system. When the Fuji X-E1 came out I felt the urge to try it and have kept to Fuji since then. Now I would say that Fuji is my main system.

There are a couple of special (to me) lenses that keep me from trading the Nikon gear.

Depending on your priorities I think both m43 and Fuji could be a good choice. Obviously the APS-C stuff will be a little larger and heavier.

/Anders

Oct 16, 2016 at 07:04 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Second system

I went full circle: D5100→A7ii→D7100. As a system, Nikon is hard to beat: wide range of bodies/lenses for every weight requirement and price point, CLS, great ergos, large used market. M43 may offer a genuine weight reduction of some fractional amount, but that's it. I kept the A7ii as an alt platform but, even there, the use of RF WA lenses can seriously underperform. The D7100, meanwhile, was upgraded to a D500. Pair with a kit zoom 18-55, and you get a lightweight shooting monster.

Oct 16, 2016 at 09:45 AM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Second system

My secondary system is m43. I find it makes a real difference in size and weight, and my previous Nikon DX ownership did not provide (for me anyway) a sufficient weight/bulk savings compared to FX.

That said, the Fuji DX sensor sized system sounds very appealing, sine they seem to have the lenses to provide sufficient weight/bulk savings (esp the primes), but that's just internet reading and not first hand experience for me. The suggestion to try the secondhand market is a good one.

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:50 AM
lexdiamonnyc
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Second system

I use a Fuji X100, that i'll never give up!! and now that it's getting cold and I wear heavier clothes it's pocketable once again

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:30 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Second system

Chris Court wrote:
Maybe it's the onset of middle age, or possibly a general lack of exercise and fitness, but lately I've really been feeling the weight of my Nikon gear, and have developed an interest in the possibility of putting together a basic interchangeable lens mirrorless kit.

The two systems that seem most interesting to me are Fuji (X-Pro2 or possibly the X-T2?) and the Olympus micro 4/3s (E-M1?).

Anyone here have experience using either (or both) of these systems alongside full frame Nikon? Any thoughts on the pros and cons of each? Or would I be better off just picking up some
...Show more
Me too Chris. I am 57 yrs old now and felt the full weight of my Nikon kit on a recent month long tour of Myanmar/Nepal/Bhutan in May/June. I also had the Sony A7r and FE28/2 and FE55/1.8 along to 'field test' them.

My wife and I just returned from a month in Europe yesterday (Italy, Iceland, UK, Belgium) and I am so glad I switched to Sony for the trip. I knocked 5kgs off the whole kit which meant even when I was carrying the whole kit & kaboodle (inc. tripod and ballhead) I was not over 10kgs - that compared to the 17kgs with my complete Nikon travel kit. The A7rii is a simply superb camera and I was more than happy with the lenses I used the most (Loxia 21/2.8, FE55/1.8 and Zeiss MP 100/2), cropping to other FLs is so easy with these astounding lenses on a 42MP sensor.

Whilst walking around I really noticed that and when I wanted to leave stuff in the hotel that I knew I wouldn't be using then I was frequently under 5kgs (inc. backpack & tripod/ballhead).

I switched out the 800E for an A7rii (keeping the A7r as backup) but kept my D500, 200-500 and a few other lenses for sport/wildlife. I'm sure you'll have a similar experience if switching to Fuji or Oly.

N.B. I'll add that the Nissin i40 flash was brilliant too. Perfect for traveling, small, light and great TTL & HSS.

Good luck !
Kevin

Edited on Oct 17, 2016 at 01:10 AM · View previous versions

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:38 PM
ariot
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Second system

full circle here -- Nikon -> Fuji -> Olympus -> Nikon

I had multiple bodiees of each, with multiple lenses, so it was full on swap.

I'm not going back. It's subjective, pretty much, and I made my honest effort.

FWIW, I use an RX1RII at work, and if I really need a small camera, I'll get that or the Lieca Q.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Second system

It depends on what you shoot. I have had multiple systems for 8-9 years now, and couldn't make do with just one system.

Right now I am shooting Nikon APS-C and Panasonic M 4/3. I sold my Nikon full frame when I stopped shooting events in low light, where I needed the 2.8 zooms and ISO 3200 to 6400.

I downgraded from the D810 & D750 to a D7200 and a D5500 for casual use. Unfortunately, the D5500 doesn't save me enough on lenses, so that may go soon (I wish Nikon had the 24 mm and 40 mm 2.8 pancakes that Canon dies for $100 each ussd for pretty good lenses, plus more. The Canon 50 1.8 STM is also pretty good & cheap & small. $300 for all 3..)

Anyway I am keeping my Panasonic GX85 along with a Panasonic 100-300 for wildlife. It is so much smaller and easier to handle than the D7200 with the Sigma 150-600. I will decide this winter if I can get rid of the Sigma (and similar DSLR long lenses) and just keep the 100-300 or other M 4/3 lenses.

I also love the GX85 for 4k video. It is an amazingly small camera with the 12-32 lit lens. Add the Panasonic 12-35 2.8 and 35-100 2.8 and it is a pretty good kit. Plus a couple of primes. I tried a D500 thinking I could get 4k there and maybe go all Nikon, but the autofocus isn't there (yes, I absolutely need it for wildlife), and Nikon still lags a but in video controls. (My opinion.)

I still am not 100% convinced by M 4/3 for all use, especially above 400-800 ISO.

I am selling my Sony A6300 kit because I prefer/ won't give up the Nikon APS-C with a 70-200 4.0 and Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS (a great $300 or less lens), and I don't save anything with Sony on the telephoto/ Wildlife end. Plus there are very few options there, it us really still Nikon or Canon for variety with the telephoto and take zooms with great autofocus. (Adapters work well for wide and regular.)

I tried Fuji. I liked the cameras, but it costs a lot to buy a body with great autofocus like the $750 (refurbished) D7200 or the $500 new D5500 (on sale.) If I did more casual work that didn't require great AF and telephoto lenses I might have been more interested...

Just my quick thoughts after trying everything the past few years. As my needs varied my equipment varied. Plus I would probably revise a few thoughts if I spent more than 10 minutes posting this. Good luck!

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:09 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Second system

Thanks for the viewpoints, guys. I'll have to dive in and find some reviews of the gear mentioned.

I expect I'll (initially, anyway) only be supplementing my Nikon kit, not replacing it.

Interesting, Kevin, that the Sony kit represents such a weight saving over Nikon. The A7r is full frame, right?

One of the problems with mirrorless, from where I'm standing, is the profusion of options. At least with DSLRs, the choices are fairly straightforward.

I wonder if the Nikon 1 system might be worth considering, also, just to thicken the morass further.

C

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:23 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Second system

I'm in the same spot. I'm so tired of hauling heavy FX Nikon gear, especially at higher altitudes. My last trip I slimmed it down to three lenses but that wasn't quite enough. I did buy a D3300 and use it with Nikons 20mm f1.8G, 50mm f1.8D, 85mm f1.8G. It's actually a very capable system although I intend to replace the body with D5300 (has histogram.) The problem is that really the Fuji X isn't really any lighter or less bulky than the Nikon D5300 with f1.8g lenses. It's really not. Having a small Nikon camera and small lenses using Nikon F mount gives me more back up options too. I can mix and match. For shooting in big cities I've actually gone to the very compact Nikon F3T with AiS lenses 28/50/105mm, and shoot b&w film. Very small bag, and I love the gritty results. I also sometimes use a Leica IIIc with Leica 28/50/90 lenses in a tiny bag, a LowePro Nano. Lots of fun! What I've found is that a shot made with my F3T or Leica IIIc gets just as much interest as those from my D800E.

Kent in SD

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:45 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Second system

I moved to Fuji XT2 and enjoy the camera system. I'm certain it would be my preferred camera even if I still had Nikon gear. I do miss Nikon's lighting system. I have two new Fuji flashes on order--waiting for their release. Two23 proposed an option, but I'm comparing the XT2 to my D4s and fast, heavy, glass. The D4s is a great camera, its edge no longer was worth size, weight, and pain in my shoulders and wrist. Fuji is producing some great cameras and glass, as is Oly and Sony. My bias against mirrorless has evaporated with the XT2.

Edited on Oct 17, 2016 at 04:27 PM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2016 at 07:36 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Second system

Chris Court wrote:
Thanks for the viewpoints, guys. I'll have to dive in and find some reviews of the gear mentioned.

I expect I'll (initially, anyway) only be supplementing my Nikon kit, not replacing it.

Interesting, Kevin, that the Sony kit represents such a weight saving over Nikon. The A7r is full frame, right?

One of the problems with mirrorless, from where I'm standing, is the profusion of options. At least with DSLRs, the choices are fairly straightforward.

I wonder if the Nikon 1 system might be worth considering, also, just to thicken the morass further.

C

The weight savings for me (Sony) came all over the place Chris ; smaller backpack, lighter tripod (worked very well) and my smaller ballhead (the superb Sirui G-10KX). On top of other smaller accessories e.g much smaller filters and filter holder not required (150mm filters are needed for the Tamron alone), smaller flash (the excellent Nissin i40) and so on.

Then there were the lenses; Voigtlander 15 and Loxia 21 replaced the huge (though superb) Tamron 15-30/2.8, no 70-200 and so on through the range of lenses I took.
The cameras accrued further savings with leaving the backup D500 behind and having swapped the D800e for an A7rii to partner it's smaller sibling the A7r (yes both are FF but the A7rii has 5-axis IBIS too).

I don't think you can go wrong keeping a slimmed down Nikon kit and adding a Sony/Fuji/Oly kit (in that order for me) to replace some Nikon cameras/lenses for travel and other events/times when you don't want the heft/visibility of the Nikons.

Oct 17, 2016 at 08:51 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Second system

I've bounced back and forth between DSLR (Nikon, Pentax), Mirrorless (Sony, m43, Fuji at different times) and dual systems (any combination of the above) since the G1 first came out in 2009.

I've finally settled on something completely different. Film. You can net pretty much all the size/weight advantages of a mirrorless setup by shooting a manual, mechanical SLR. I'm now shooting an FE & FG instead of mirrorless.

Oct 17, 2016 at 02:11 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Second system

I like Micro 4/3

Oct 17, 2016 at 02:22 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Second system

mawz wrote:
I've bounced back and forth between DSLR (Nikon, Pentax), Mirrorless (Sony, m43, Fuji at different times) and dual systems (any combination of the above) since the G1 first came out in 2009.

I've finally settled on something completely different. Film. You can net pretty much all the size/weight advantages of a mirrorless setup by shooting a manual, mechanical SLR. I'm now shooting an FE & FG instead of mirrorless.

I was considering the camera obdurate.

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:32 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Second system

It is a single camera "stystem." The Sony RX10 MKIII with an, attached, 24-600mm lens.
Just a 1"" sensor but a really special camera. Good video and totally silent shooting. It'S $1500 cheap for a system-nothing else to buy.

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:57 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password