Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · About to buy a Fuji XT-1, can I move around the manual-fo...

haleheartless

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · About to buy a Fuji XT-1, can I move around the manual-focus assist area?

I've been excited about the possibility of using adapted manual focus lenses with the manual focus assist tools on the XT-1.
I can see myself using the viewfinder double screen magnification mode a lot. It has a large view for composing and another small screen for focusing at 100% magnification.
However, all the demos that I've seen show the magnification area to be right in the center. Can you move it off-center to check manual focus elsewhere?
Even when using the digital split screen or the focus peaking magnification, the zoom seems to be only in the center.
If not, you're left with focus-recompose, right? How has that fared with everyone?

Oct 16, 2016 at 03:07 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · About to buy a Fuji XT-1, can I move around the manual-focus assist area?

haleheartless wrote:
I've been excited about the possibility of using adapted manual focus lenses with the manual focus assist tools on the XT-1.
I can see myself using the viewfinder double screen magnification mode a lot. It has a large view for composing and another small screen for focusing at 100% magnification.
However, all the demos that I've seen show the magnification area to be right in the center. Can you move it off-center to check manual focus elsewhere?
Even when using the digital split screen or the focus peaking magnification, the zoom seems to be only in the center.
If not, you're left with focus-recompose,
...Show more

I'm going to assume you mean using the split-image setting instead of focus peaking? Otherwise, what I have found to work even better for using my old Nikkor MF lenses, is to use the peaking with red high setting. I then can press the rear command dial and it will magnify the whole screen. Having said that, I'm not sure this works the same way with the X-T1, you may have to use the focus assist button.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:00 AM
CMcG01
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · About to buy a Fuji XT-1, can I move around the manual-focus assist area?

Id have to double check to see if this is accurate info, but I think the magnified part is whichever focus point is set. By default this is the center point.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:00 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · About to buy a Fuji XT-1, can I move around the manual-focus assist area?

yes you can

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:44 PM
haleheartless

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · About to buy a Fuji XT-1, can I move around the manual-focus assist area?

what do you do if what you're focusing on is off-center? Say to one of the rule of thirds corners. Will it magnify that portion?

Oct 16, 2016 at 05:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

haleheartless

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · About to buy a Fuji XT-1, can I move around the manual-focus assist area?

That's great. That's what I was wondering.

Oct 16, 2016 at 05:00 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · About to buy a Fuji XT-1, can I move around the manual-focus assist area?

You can move it around, but you can't move it while zoomed in like you could on the Sony A7 series of cameras. If you move the focus point while zoomed in, it will take you out of the zoom view you were in. This is my only gripe with the XT/Pro cameras.

Oct 17, 2016 at 03:08 AM
Macro
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · About to buy a Fuji XT-1, can I move around the manual-focus assist area?

Alpha_Geist wrote:
You can move it around, but you can't move it while zoomed in like you could on the Sony A7 series of cameras. If you move the focus point while zoomed in, it will take you out of the zoom view you were in. This is my only gripe with the XT/Pro cameras.

Agreed. Being able to pan while zoomed would be very useful.

This would be a nice fix for the next FW update.

Oct 18, 2016 at 03:00 AM
Weez
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · About to buy a Fuji XT-1, can I move around the manual-focus assist area?

My preferred way of MF is actually the "AF+MF" option, where you set the front dial to M, but still use the back button to AF. When you release the back button and begin to turn the focus ring, it automatically zooms in to the chosen point for fine tuning if needed.

Now, I know you're talking about using third-party MF lenses with an adapter, so obviously the AF part doesn't apply, but I wonder if it will still auto zoom when the ring is turned? I don't yet have an adapter to try this.

Oct 18, 2016 at 04:43 AM
joeybk85

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · About to buy a Fuji XT-1, can I move around the manual-focus assist area?

Weez wrote:
My preferred way of MF is actually the "AF+MF" option, where you set the front dial to M, but still use the back button to AF. When you release the back button and begin to turn the focus ring, it automatically zooms in to the chosen point for fine tuning if needed.

Now, I know you're talking about using third-party MF lenses with an adapter, so obviously the AF part doesn't apply, but I wonder if it will still auto zoom when the ring is turned? I don't yet have an adapter to try this.

It won't auto zoom with most adapters because they don't have any contact with the camera, so the camera doesn't even know the focus ring was turned.

Oct 23, 2016 at 03:52 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password