New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · FPS in Single frame advance

Oscarsmadness
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FPS in Single frame advance

I use Single frame 90% of the time on my D700.

I discovered that if I goose the shutter button just right, I can fire off 4 or maybe even 5 frames at a rate of about 8 fps. Since my epiphany, I have never used continuous high (5 fps) if I need a high frame rate. I stand there in Single mode, wait for it, wait for it, wait.... bam bam bam bam bam. And then hope the buffer clears before I try to do that again.

This trick works only in Single mode.

Does anybody else do this? Am I in danger of breaking something by doing this?

I realize that this means I should get my GAS rip roaring for a D500, D4, or better, but I have no money, yet.

Oct 15, 2016 at 09:46 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FPS in Single frame advance

Hi Oscar,

When you say goose the shutter, do you mean you bounce your finger to grab the moments that look best to you? I do this all the time, as you control the photos you get rather than holding down and hoping for the best. At very high frame rates you will capture special moments and also create a lot of sorting work when you do your selection. It makes the post shoot workflow tedious and has demand on card space, battery and camera longevity. I do keep my camera set up to burst as there are times when a short burst is a good choice.

Morris

Oct 16, 2016 at 08:58 AM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FPS in Single frame advance

I mean bouncing my finger, yes. The primary goal of doing this is to acheive a higher burst rate than would be possible in Continous High. Shortening the culling process is a happy byproduct.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:12 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FPS in Single frame advance

So you mean it's faster than what the camera can do?
I'll try if it also works on the D800 series. Would be nice. Now I'm always in continuous high, but I take single shots 90% of the time. So every time it's just a slight squize on the shutter button.

Oct 16, 2016 at 01:14 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FPS in Single frame advance

The primary goal of doing this is to acheive a higher burst rate than would be possible in Continous High
My D700 did 8...you'd never get close. Try the 10 of the D500
and get back to us.
For the record: proper technique is to gently roll your index
over the shutter. I shudder at the thought of bouncing.

Oct 16, 2016 at 01:46 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FPS in Single frame advance

trenchmonkey wrote:
My D700 did 8...you'd never get close. Try the 10 of the D500
and get back to us.
For the record: proper technique is to gently roll your index
over the shutter. I shudder at the thought of bouncing.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:45 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FPS in Single frame advance

Oct 16, 2016 at 03:28 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FPS in Single frame advance

I do that without trying as my hands are shakey anymore.

Oct 16, 2016 at 04:37 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FPS in Single frame advance

I don't see how this would be possible....can anyone else fire 8FPS in single shot mode by continually pressing the shutter up and down? Seems highly unlikely to me...

Oct 16, 2016 at 04:53 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FPS in Single frame advance

Well, bouncing is not quite the right word. I'll roll my index finger over the shutter button and push it down just enough to trip the shutter. If I need to pop off a few frames real fast, I'll kinda "pulse" my finger when I have my finger down on there. I think pulse is a better word because my finger keeps the button moving minimally but rapidly between the halfway press and shutter release. It is a very subtle motion. Mr. Finger is not flopping completely off the button and slapping back down again.

Trenchmonkey I hope that relieves your concern hahaha. I'd love to try a D500 but I don't have that opportunity unfortunately.

And yes playerofwar, you are spot on. Let me know how it works (or doesn't work) for you.

Oct 16, 2016 at 04:59 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.