Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Replacement NP-FW50 batteries? Anything new to say?

chiron
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Replacement NP-FW50 batteries? Anything new to say?

I am about to buy a bunch of NP-FW50 for a trip with lots of outside shooting in a cold clime.

Is there anything new to say about whether any particular brand of replacement battery is higher quality and more reliable than the others?

Wasabi? STK? ??

Oct 16, 2016 at 01:35 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Replacement NP-FW50 batteries? Anything new to say?

Wasabi is just fine.... OEM is still the best though but quite a bit more $$.

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:09 AM
chiron
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Replacement NP-FW50 batteries? Anything new to say?

Yes, I agree that the Sony are best, though they seem to lose there capacity over time also. None of my Sonys have done as well as my Canons use to--though the longer life of the Canons may have made the loss of capacity harder to notice.

I have both Wasabi and STK as well as several Sonys. My impression right now is that the STK outperform the Wasabi, but I think my Wasabi batteries are a year or two older. I am curious about other people's experience.

The difference in price is phenomenal--the Sonys cost about 5 1/2 times as much as the off-brand--so 10 Sony batteries would run me $550, but 10 Wasabi or STK would cost $100. Quite a large difference. One is more or less a nuisance cost. The other feels like a major purchase.

Outside of camera batteries, I never see much of a difference in brands of batteries in the various standard sizes--they all seem to run the flash or the flashlight about the same.

In camera batteries, I'm not sure that there could be such a vast difference in the batteries or technology inside to justify the huge cost differential.

Oct 16, 2016 at 04:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cengell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Replacement NP-FW50 batteries? Anything new to say?

Hi all, 1 concern is the Sony's batteries have the safety features, that could be a reason to use Sony batteries. I also have the Wasabi's and if they are fully charged with the Sony charger they are 90% the life as my Sony's. when 1 of my Wasabi's dies I will cut it open and see what if any protection they have, of course with the Samsung S7 Note's battery issue (still Samsung not saying the real reason of the meltdown) this is a concern with not having battery protection.

I always choose my 10 Sony NP-FW50 batteries before I choose my Wasabi's, just I trust them 100%. To answer your question Chiron is maybe get 4-5 Sony and 2-3 Wasabi and 2 STK, I suggest Amazon for the Wasabi as you get 2 NP-FW50 and a car charger for $26.95.

Christopher

Oct 16, 2016 at 09:04 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Replacement NP-FW50 batteries? Anything new to say?

Nikon is beginning to engineer their cameras to rule out bein g undersold third party suppliers. Be thankful you have the option. I have purchased from SterlingTek and B&H (Vello) with zero problems as have many others.

Oct 16, 2016 at 09:26 PM
justruss
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Replacement NP-FW50 batteries? Anything new to say?

I have 2x originals and 2x Wasabi for my A7rII-- and I cannot tell them apart by use, drain time, storage, etc. In fact, the Wasabis weigh a negligible amount more than the Sonys (weight being one of the best secondary tests for determining capacity), and unlike the Sonys don't have any hollow space one can feel when squeezing.

I've had my batteries for almost exactly a year, and have shot from the Alps to the tropics with them. No complaints yet (aside from getting 1/3 to 1/5 the # of photographs per battery compared to my 5D2).

One bit of advice I read-- which was supposed to be based on accumulated anecdote-- was that the Wasabis worked better if only ever charged in-camera or with the original battery charger. Mine came with a Wasabi battery charger, which I promptly tossed in a box and never used.

Oct 17, 2016 at 06:19 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password