New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Butterfly/Diffusion Panel

voidsherpa
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Butterfly/Diffusion Panel

Trying to recall the brand I had been looking at last year. It had shock cord through the tubing and had a babypin on one of the sides so it could be mounted on a single grip head. Cant seem to find it anymore.

Oct 16, 2016 at 01:29 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Butterfly/Diffusion Panel

You don't mention frame size, portability or budget. All the majors have something to offer, e.g. Matthews frame @ B&H

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:25 AM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Butterfly/Diffusion Panel

rico wrote:
You don't mention frame size, portability or budget. All the majors have something to offer, e.g. Matthews frame @ B&H

4'x4' or 6'x'6. I think it was the chimera panel system that I recalled being able to be used with a single grip head.

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:29 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Butterfly/Diffusion Panel

Chimera certainly offers shock-cord frames, and has their full catalog online. The frames I avoid are those with non-standard grip components, like Lastolite.

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Butterfly/Diffusion Panel

Yeah it took me awhile but I found a PDF of their products, their product photography leaves alot to be desired. I mistook their "pin grip system" as being a baby pin, now to figure out if it'll work why my kupo grip heads, the pin cutout is slightly angled unlike the one in their catalog.

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:40 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Butterfly/Diffusion Panel

I'm not a fan of shock-corded designs, although I have a 36"x72" panel from dearly-departed Photoflex. The Chimera panel looks different in design, and much better built. The 5/8" dia tubing makes it compatible with a standard knuckle, but only if the tubing doesn't crumple when gripped (alu is bad that way). The "pin" will resist torquing when the panel is horizontal, and represents a hard-point where the grip head can safely exert pressure. The head itself (Chimera #3750) appears to be a Matthews 2.5" with custom channel for the torque-pin.

Frankly, I would skip it. The torque-pin needs that custom channel, making other knuckles (grip arms, gags) useless. I certainly don't limit my deployment of panels to the direct top-of-stand, and making use of #3750 in any other way will require bunches of intermediate grip gear. You have so many more options if you drop the shock-cord requirement. I would get one of the many Matthews flavors for a secure and well-made overhead frame.

Chimera instruction manual: Panel Frames & Grip Head
If that link fails, navigate as follows: chimeralighting.com/resources/ -> Instruction Manuals -> Panel Frames & Grip Head

Oct 16, 2016 at 08:33 AM
neoshazam
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Butterfly/Diffusion Panel

What will you be using it for ?

I have 2 Photoflex 39"x72" , 1 Photoflex 72"x72" , Scrim Jim 39"x72" and Sunbounce Sun Swatter 4'x6'. That order actually matches a spectrum of how I use it ; Studio a little, Studio a lot, outside a little, outside a lot.

Oct 16, 2016 at 03:33 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password