FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · 5D Mark II for stills today

garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5D Mark II for stills today

rabbitmountain wrote:
There are distinct control differences (button layout) that kept me away from the 6D and made me leap to the 5D3 at the time. This may or may not be relevant for you but I thought I'd share that.

I agree, but the 6D is configurable enough to mitigate the biggest limitations.

A custom function enables direct control of AF points using the dpad without a button press. This, plus the fact there are only 9 to deal with, makes the loss of the joystick tolerable for me. I also gained back FEC by reprogramming the Set button.

It's not as ideal ergonomically as the more advanced bodies, but for my needs this is compensated for by the smaller size and weight, reliable autofocusing, and overall image quality in an affordable package.

Oct 16, 2016 at 01:47 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5D Mark II for stills today

lsutigerfan wrote:
My mistake. I quickly read through earlier comments and when someone mentioned "mkII" I assumed they were referring to the 'pro' camera which shared the same sensor (1Ds mark iii) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS-1Ds_Mark_III

I've never actually seen ANY of the high-end Canon bodies, in real-life situations, any closer than 100 yards (in sporting events) and certainly have never seriously looked into buying one....so my familiarity is almost nill.

I have quickly forgotten that Canon uses the "Mark" naming convention for successor models while Nikon just throws in an "S" or "X" -- or randomly picks a slightly higher number.

It has been proven numerous times, that 5D II and 1Ds III do not share the same sensor, despite both having 21 mpix.

As for the OP. Can 5D2 take great pics even today? Sure. Are there cameras that will get even better results and get them faster? Sure.

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:38 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5D Mark II for stills today

I loved my 5d2 when it came out. For stills, I think the only reason you need to upgrade is mpx. If you want to print very large, the 5dsr images can be printed about 60% larger than 5d2 with same quality. But aside from that improvements have been marginal.

The biggest improvement was in fps, which you likely don't need for stills.

You would be better to focus on glass and technique unless you plan to print really large. And even there, if you print on canvas the picture will still look great large.

Some people consider that dynamic range is a really big improvement and sony a7r2 is thus the preferred route for stills. 42mpx is tempting for printing bigger, but I think the dynamic range gains are overstated because in a controlled environment (studio) you don't need the dynamic range because of lighting. And outside, the dynamic range of a7r2 is still inadaquate and you need to used bracketing and blending anyway so not a gain.

So if you want to print big its either 5d3 (30mpx), 5dsr (50mpx), a7r2 (42mpx). I would (and have) chosen 5dsr because sony is lower in mpx and more importantly I really like the canon system (there is no ts17, no 600mm. yes you can use adapters but why when you don't have too ---- Nikon does not even have a ts17). And if you looking to print large, go with the largest 50mpx 5dsr.

So my opinion is either stick with 5d2 and upgrade lens if needed or move to 5dsr for stills.

Edited on Oct 16, 2016 at 03:06 PM · View previous versions

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:59 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5D Mark II for stills today

It has been proven numerous times, that 5D II and 1Ds III do not share the same sensor, despite both having 21 mpix.

True. But any differences between them are (literally) vanishingly small. :-)

Oct 16, 2016 at 03:06 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5D Mark II for stills today

gdanmitchell wrote:
True. But any differences between them are (literally) vanishingly small. :-)

Quite the contrary. Before the "5 stop pushes" became the norm , one member (has long since been banned I believe) demonstrated 1Ds III files could be pushed "many stops" without nasty banding 5D II had.

Oct 16, 2016 at 05:45 PM
lsutigerfan
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5D Mark II for stills today

i was wrong twice about the sensor so not gonna even touch that one again. But here are some old snapshots from another time and another place in my life. literally. All were taken with either a 17-40L or the extremely average 28-135IS

Oct 16, 2016 at 06:43 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5D Mark II for stills today

Former 5D2 (before that 5D; concurrent/after X-E1, A7rII) shooter. Paid, feature photojournalism around the world.

The 5D2 today shoots the same quality images it did the day it was released. It is capable of stunning quality, beautiful colors, and high detail. A 24MP FF sensor is capable of wonderful web output, and moderately large prints (even at close inspection). I'd never call the 5D2 trash. But I also wouldn't call the original 1Ds, or even 1D (in all its 4 MP glory) trash either...

Can the 5D2 produce images on par with those from the 5Dsr, D810, A7rII?* No. There's no point fooling ourselves. Is it good enough? Is spending more worth the price? Only each of us can judge that for ourselves. My mom is happy with her iPhone and an RX100. I was itching for an upgrade and an A7rII delivered and I would never want to go back (even just on the basis of the sensor difference, let alone any other consideration).

*But, frank talk: on the used market the 5D2 is 1/2 to 1/3 the price of these cameras. What do you expect?

Oct 17, 2016 at 06:58 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5D Mark II for stills today

justruss wrote:
Former 5D2 (before that 5D; concurrent/after X-E1, A7rII) shooter. Paid, feature photojournalism around the world.

The 5D2 today shoots the same quality images it did the day it was released. It is capable of stunning quality, beautiful colors, and high detail. A 24MP FF sensor is capable of wonderful web output, and moderately large prints (even at close inspection). I'd never call the 5D2 trash. But I also wouldn't call the original 1Ds, or even 1D (in all its 4 MP glory) trash either...

Can the 5D2 produce images on par with those from the 5Dsr, D810, A7rII?* No. There's no
...Show more

Digital cameras are a fairly mature product. They don't double in ability each 2 years. They get perhaps 20% better each four years. The 5d2 has the ability to print about 80% of the size of the new 5d4 that sells for ~$4000. It can print as big as a 1dx which recently sold for $6000. My point is, the fact that 5d2 is 1/3 the price of a 5d4, is not indicative of ability. The 5d2 is not 2/3 worse than 5d4. For stills, in a skilled photographer hands its not that much different than the 5d4 or 1dx.

The primary differences is that 5dsr can print >50% bigger and the fps of the 5d4 are way higher. Only you can decide whether printing bigger or faster fps is worth the money based on your usage and budget.

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:51 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5D Mark II for stills today

Scott Stoness wrote:
Digital cameras are a fairly mature product. They don't double in ability each 2 years. They get perhaps 20% better each four years. The 5d2 has the ability to print about 80% of the size of the new 5d4 that sells for ~$4000. It can print as big as a 1dx which recently sold for $6000. My point is, the fact that 5d2 is 1/3 the price of a 5d4, is not indicative of ability. The 5d2 is not 2/3 worse than 5d4. For stills, in a skilled photographer hands its not that much different than the 5d4 or
...Show more

I definitely wasn't implying that anyone can extrapolate a linear relationship between price and performance-- let alone a ridiculously narrow focus on resolution alone. My aside about price (and it was in NO way a response to any other post) was only: Of course you'd expect the much higher priced, new item to perform better; the 5D2 is amazing given its price!

My overall post was the elaboration of something pretty simple: The 5D2 is still a great camera. There are newer cameras today that are better. And the preceding two statements are not in contradiction.

And while I appreciate you sharing the idea that only each of us can decide on the value of such things.... do note that the passage of mine that you quoted literally said the exact same thing: "Is it good enough? Is spending more worth the price? Only each of us can judge that for ourselves."

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:55 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5D Mark II for stills today

Milan Hutera wrote:
Quite the contrary. Before the "5 stop pushes" became the norm , one member (has long since been banned I believe) demonstrated 1Ds III files could be pushed "many stops" without nasty banding 5D II had.

Having owned and used the 1Ds3 and 5D2 extensively for all sorts of subjects I agree the 1Ds3 sensor is better and more pliable than the 5D2 one. The 1Ds3 files have more organic feel (less plasticky digital) than the 5D2

Is the 5D2 still relevant? Yes, as long as you aren't going to manipulate files a lot and can manage with one decent AF point.

The 6D is simply a better camera if you are buying now (as is the 1Ds3)

Oct 17, 2016 at 01:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

anselwannab
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 5D Mark II for stills today

dhphoto wrote:
Having owned and used the 1Ds3 and 5D2 extensively for all sorts of subjects I agree the 1Ds3 sensor is better and more pliable than the 5D2 one. The 1Ds3 files have more organic feel (less plasticky digital) than the 5D2

Is the 5D2 still relevant? Yes, as long as you aren't going to manipulate files a lot and can manage with one decent AF point.

The 6D is simply a better camera if you are buying now (as is the 1Ds3)

I was surprised that on the buy/sell forum here that there isn't much difference between the 1DsIII and the 5DII? Maybe a couple of hundred bucks. For that delta I'd almost go with a lower frame count 1D series camera? Love my 5DII, but when I got my 1DIII, I was like "Ah, I see now." Since you have both, what do you think?

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:20 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 5D Mark II for stills today

anselwannab wrote:
I was surprised that on the buy/sell forum here that there isn't much difference between the 1DsIII and the 5DII? Maybe a couple of hundred bucks. For that delta I'd almost go with a lower frame count 1D series camera? Love my 5DII, but when I got my 1DIII, I was like "Ah, I see now." Since you have both, what do you think?

I sold the 5D2 about a year ago, after buying a 6D. I will never sell the 1Ds3, at 800ISO and under it has the finest IQ of any of the 20 meg Canons IMHO

Oct 17, 2016 at 05:15 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 5D Mark II for stills today

Really? The 5d2 is a later camera. I would have assumed it's sensor was tweaked from the 1ds3 for better performance.

The main upgrade is the 3 inch lcd screen.
Absolute garbage on the 1ds3 vs the 900k dot HD screen on the 5d2

memoria wrote:
I'm gonna go ahead and open the true sensor-geek door and just clarify that even though the 5D Mark II and 1Ds Mark III share the same sensor base design, the two sensors are very different. The latter uses a different color filter and most likely a more advanced readout and processing. So when comparing the two, the 1Ds Mark III files are better balanced and has less noise in the shadows.

Not that many would care today, but still for the record. They're not really the same

Oct 17, 2016 at 05:21 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 5D Mark II for stills today

RSHPhotography wrote:
Really? The 5d2 is a later camera. I would have assumed it's sensor was tweaked from the 1ds3 for better performance.

The main upgrade is the 3 inch lcd screen.
Absolute garbage on the 1ds3 vs the 900k dot HD screen on the 5d2

One was the very top of the pro line (costing a small fortune new), one was the prosumer full frame. To my eyes (and I'm not alone) the 1Ds3 IQ is a little better and you can do much more with the RAW files.

As for the LCD, no it's not great by today's standards but I use liveview to focus my 1Ds3 almost every shot and for that it's great, as it is for viewing the histogram. I generally use the (lovely big) viewfinder to do basic composition and then tweak and focus using LV, works fine for me.

Oct 17, 2016 at 05:34 PM
memoria
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 5D Mark II for stills today

Couldn't agree more with dhphoto.

Everything said about the 1Ds3 vs 5DII is true. And the LCD isn't actually that bad. I use it on a regular basis and show my clients images on the display for viewing. They never ask for zooming nor do they try to figure out what the image looks like. The only time when it actually can be considered "old" is when zooming in to check sharpness/critical focus. But the AF is really good so mostly, you don't need that anyway.

The files are truly spectacular in daylight. They really knew how tune their color filters back then when everything wasn't about high ISO performance and fancy DR.

Fortunately though, it SEEMS that Canon has gone for a bit more "film-like" approach with the 5D mark IV. Let's hope they continue down that road.

Oct 17, 2016 at 06:00 PM
Kmccarthy
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 5D Mark II for stills today

The Mark II has a great full frame sensor, with the AF of a cheap Rebel. If you nail the focus, the images are fantastic - almost indistinguishable from a 5DIII. However, my keeper rate went way up when I upgraded from the II to the III. if you can't afford the 5DIII, I think the 6D is a great alternative, for about the same price (used) as the 5DII.

Oct 17, 2016 at 08:42 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 5D Mark II for stills today

folks who complain about the displays should have a go at the 1DII series and will instantly feel like using those old nokia phones (which change what you see depending on the angle you're looking at it )

that being said, I've owned and used 5D, 5DII, 6D and 5D3.

To me, the 5D mark III is the first 'complete' dslr from Canon. It can do anything and everything for me (for ME, that means probably not for you/him/her).

It filled all the gaps missing in the 5D2 (and even in the 6D, which is funny,since the 6D is newer)

If you're only thinking about the 5D2, the price difference between a used 5D2 or 6D is very small and I'd really go for the 6D. It's a better camera in terms of IQ (ISO, etc).

Only when you start shooting more and more moving subjects you realize how pathetic the AF system is on the 5D/5DII/6D. If your subjects are still or not moving erratically, then it will be fine.

If you find a really really cheap 5D2, go for it and get some good glass, otherwise you're better off with a 6D.

If you like to work with environmental light and not limited (psychologically) to ISO 100-400 and enjoy shooting to higher iSO, then again, go for 6D instead of 5D2.

But if you can find a bargain with a 5D3, that is trully the camera to have. It will not disappoint you.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:57 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 5D Mark II for stills today

The 5DII is still a very relevant camera today and the original 5D is as well.

Oct 18, 2016 at 04:30 AM
ShutterPonch

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 5D Mark II for stills today

I just picked up a used Mark II and had it converted to infrared. My Mark III is my main body so i like the similarity and L lens interchangeability. The Mark IV doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade for my needs.

Oct 18, 2016 at 06:49 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password