New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · 5D Mark II for stills today

myk7000

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D Mark II for stills today

I'd love to hear peoples' thoughts around the Canon 5d Mark II today in 2016 as a stills camera.

I am a photography hobbyist, and though there seems to be so many amazing stills cameras coming out with fantastic features (like the A7RII, D810, 5DMKIV, etc.), when it comes to straight producing a fantastic image for web and print, how does the 5D Mark II honestly stand up in today's age?

If we're saying that the use case lies somewhere in the middle of the road, and doesn't involve crazy edge cases (no really fast sports, incredibly low light areas, etc.), is there a reason to be upgrading from a camera like that? Or will improvements be quite minor?

I'm starting to think about where I should be putting my money, and though in my mind it seems like going with a body like the Mark II but instead investing in some great glass seems to be the way to go, but I also see so many forum posts of folks saying how trash certain older models of cameras are compared to today's models.

Would love some thoughts!

Oct 15, 2016 at 05:52 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D Mark II for stills today

It doesn't take any worse pictures today than it did when it came out, and a lot of really good stuff was produced with mk2's.

If you are money-limited, then your only alternative is to save a bit for a 6D. That will be a fair bit better. If you can't stretch to that, then a mk2 is going to be the best Canon you can get for the money.

Oct 15, 2016 at 06:25 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D Mark II for stills today

I found the AF limitations unacceptable for my needs. It should be fine if you can live with mainly the center point AF and the old sensor quality. Keep in mind that factory service will be discontinued at some point.

EBH

Oct 15, 2016 at 06:28 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D Mark II for stills today

If I could "flip" it for a used 6D, I would, but for casual stuff - or even certain "Pro" work, give it good glass and it is holding up good IMHO.

Oct 15, 2016 at 08:02 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D Mark II for stills today

The 5D II can provide excellent results. It's easily good enough for web images, and also for prints unless you're talking about really huge. Since you've stipulated that you don't need it for really fast sports or really low light, I don't think you could go wrong pairing it with excellent lenses.

Oct 15, 2016 at 08:33 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D Mark II for stills today

myk7000 wrote:
I'd love to hear peoples' thoughts around the Canon 5d Mark II today in 2016 as a stills camera.

I am a photography hobbyist, and though there seems to be so many amazing stills cameras coming out with fantastic features (like the A7RII, D810, 5DMKIV, etc.), when it comes to straight producing a fantastic image for web and print, how does the 5D Mark II honestly stand up in today's age?

If we're saying that the use case lies somewhere in the middle of the road, and doesn't involve crazy edge cases (no really fast sports, incredibly low light areas, etc.),
...Show more

I've done everything from landscape to events to sports to wildlife with the 5DII. Sure, there are newer cameras that are more optimized for various sort of photography. That said, I'm still selling and licensing prints made on the 5DII. :-)

If you can afford something more recent fine. But if not, you can do fine work with the 5DII. If you are happy with what you are getting from the 5DII... keep on with it for now.

Dan

Oct 15, 2016 at 08:51 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D Mark II for stills today

I'd be happy to use the MK II any day. The Mark I for that matter, but the MK II is a big step ahead of the MK I.

The issue is the pricing. I still see sellers asking high prices for a MK II, sometimes more than a 6D.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:19 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D Mark II for stills today

125k pictures, mostly with a 24-105L on my 5DII. Yes, th AF isn't great and it's low light capability lacks compared to new ones. It still can take great pics, you just have to stay in its box. I also have a 1DIII and have been looking at replacing both with either a 5dIV or a 1DXII, but I think I'll put my cash in glass. Glass never goes out of style.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:42 PM
Jimi3
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D Mark II for stills today

I shot a 5d2 for many years before switching over to an A7R II and metabones adapter for my canon glass. The af system on the 5d2 sucks, but image quality wise, it still holds up, and I made many 20x30 prints from mine. IQ differences between it and the 5d3 or 6d will be minimal, though one aspect of current Sonys and Nikons I would miss is the huge low iso dynamic range. I bracketed pretty much all of my landscape shots with the 5d2, but only occasionally do so now. I've read that with the 5d4, canon has finally produced a sensor with wide dynamic range...but overall, if cost is an issue, I'd have no qualms about still shooting the 5d Mark II.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:45 PM
lsutigerfan
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D Mark II for stills today

Nikon user since D800 was released but used 5d2 prior to that and loved it. I actually got rid of a D700 to get a 5d2 and 35L both bought exact same day in late 2009. As someone pointed out, 1d mk2 has same sensor. There is beauty in its simplicity and the AF system worked good for my needs.

That camera always metered very very very accurately and produces beautiful red/yellow/orange colors. It's nicely built for fairly heavy use and still a very good camera - in ample light not much different than 5d3. Not even bad up to 3200 and 6400 if done correctly. Maybe I'll link u a few old pics that I am proud to have produced :-)

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:49 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D Mark II for stills today

lsutigerfan wrote:
Nikon user since D800 was released but used 5d2 prior to that and loved it. I actually got rid of a D700 to get a 5d2 and 35L both bought exact same day in late 2009. As someone pointed out, 1d mk2 has same sensor. There is beauty in its simplicity and the AF system worked good for my needs.

I'm not sure what you meant, but the 1D II and 1D IIN used a different sensor from any other Canon bodies.

EBH

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:55 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D Mark II for stills today

I still use my 5D2 along with a 6D and IQ is very close until ISO3200 or so. After that the 6D leaves it in the dust. I mainly shoot landscape and travel so the AF is fine for me but 6D AF is a notch up, especially in low light. The 5D2 controls feel a little better in hand but 6D LCD clarity is a level better. For only a wee bit more money, it's worth springing for the 6D.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:00 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D Mark II for stills today

I used a 5DII from the day it was released until the 5DIII was released. Still have the 5DIII and a 5DSR. Depending on where you are coming from the 5DII can be a nice upgrade ... especially if it is your first full frame camera. For that middle ground shooting you are talking about, it will be fine. But, I would recommend that you spring for the 5DIII. By the time I sold my 5DII, I was tired of it's AF setup. The 5DIII is a solid all around performer and worth the sacrifice for the upgrade. The 6D would be a step off the 5DIII, but still a nice body also.

Another trend to consider: the industry is maturing and the performance of current cameras should have some staying power. Current models perform really well. I'm pretty sure that if you purchased a 5DIV it would have some good longevity. But it is expensive, especially if you want to add some quality lenses. Historically, the wisdom was invest in glass because it will outlast many body upgrades. But, I think today's bodies are better purchases than bodies in the past and can be used for longer periods of time.

In the end, you just need to understand your budget and objectives. You can produce great images and professional results with all the cameras we have discussed.

Oct 16, 2016 at 01:27 AM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D Mark II for stills today

I am still using a 5D2 as my main camera body. It's just fine for me. I'd rather put my money into lenses.

Its focus is its weak point but should not be an issue for portrait or landscape uses.

It's my understanding the sensor itself is fairly similar to the 6D and 5D3 other than at very high ISO. The way the initial reviews were for the 5D3 were that they added the 1 series like focus system. I did not feel was worth it to upgrade.

The one use case which I do need faster focus is sailing, so I got a 7D2 for that which also buys me some reach. I figure I may just wait for the 5D4s to drop in price in a few years.

Oct 16, 2016 at 01:55 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D Mark II for stills today

Part time pro here. I used the 5D and 5D2 for paid assignments until a year ago and none of my clients complained about the camera. Sold the v1 for 300 and the v2 for 875. I too used my money through the years to build on my glass collection.

I say go right ahead it's still a great camera for what it's suitable for. If at some point you find its limiting for specific subjects you can always pick up a used 5D3 or 1Dx

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:48 AM
lsutigerfan
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D Mark II for stills today

EB-1 wrote:
I'm not sure what you meant, but the 1D II and 1D IIN used a different sensor from any other Canon bodies.

EBH

My mistake. I quickly read through earlier comments and when someone mentioned "mkII" I assumed they were referring to the 'pro' camera which shared the same sensor (1Ds mark iii) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS-1Ds_Mark_III

I've never actually seen ANY of the high-end Canon bodies, in real-life situations, any closer than 100 yards (in sporting events) and certainly have never seriously looked into buying one....so my familiarity is almost nill.

I have quickly forgotten that Canon uses the "Mark" naming convention for successor models while Nikon just throws in an "S" or "X" -- or randomly picks a slightly higher number.

Oct 16, 2016 at 03:47 AM
memoria
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D Mark II for stills today

lsutigerfan wrote:
My mistake. I quickly read through earlier comments and when someone mentioned "mkII" I assumed they were referring to the 'pro' camera which shared the same sensor (1Ds mark iii) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS-1Ds_Mark_III

I'm gonna go ahead and open the true sensor-geek door and just clarify that even though the 5D Mark II and 1Ds Mark III share the same sensor base design, the two sensors are very different. The latter uses a different color filter and most likely a more advanced readout and processing. So when comparing the two, the 1Ds Mark III files are better balanced and has less noise in the shadows.

Not that many would care today, but still for the record. They're not really the same

Oct 16, 2016 at 06:42 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D Mark II for stills today

5d2 is perfectly capable of great images, but for roughly the same money, i think the 6d has some nice improvements that would cause me to go for that body. High iso images are improved, gps for landscapes are nice, a few other usability improvements.

Oct 16, 2016 at 07:22 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D Mark II for stills today

There are distinct control differences (button layout) that kept me away from the 6D and made me leap to the 5D3 at the time. This may or may not be relevant for you but I thought I'd share that.

Oct 16, 2016 at 07:34 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D Mark II for stills today

I used two 5D II professionally for several years. It is an excellent camera for normal photography and, of course, the first DSLR that incorporated HD video that was of high enough quality for television shows and B roll major motion pictures.

If you do not shoot ultra low light or action, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this excellent camera. The more modern bodies might have a couple more bells and whistles and slightly more dynamic range, but in all honesty its IQ is far and away higher than most users ever need.

Oct 16, 2016 at 08:15 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.