Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

eliluong

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

Hi all, I stopped doing photography (as a hobby) four years ago, life got really busy, I left all my old gear behind. It was a Nikon D70. I went travelling with it with a 18-300 lens that was really useful.

I now have more free time and am wanting to get back into this hobby. I'm living in the midwest for a year before going back to California so it would be a good experience. I think I'd like to keep my budget around 700-1000 for now, with an upgrade in about 3-5 years. Open to buying used, also. I've only used Nikon cameras in the past.

I was planning to get separate body and lens unless someone thinks differently. I've been looking at a the D5500. Lens-wise, I was thinking of a 18-200 or 18-250 from Tamron or something similar. In the past when using the 18-300 it was pretty heavy and the lens barrel would extend on its own if I face it on the ground. Open to suggestions.

Thanks for the input.

Oct 15, 2016 at 02:51 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

see if the D5500 has anything you want that the D5400, D5300 does not

D7xxx will have more pro-like control functionality but you give up the tilt/swivel screen (which I like a lot)

D750 has tilt screen and is a fabulous camera in FF

I am not a Tamron fan tho I'm sure they are better now

DX Nikon lens line up is poor; FF nikon lens line up is very very good

then there is the issue of an ILC m43 camera....

Oct 15, 2016 at 03:22 PM
acutol

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

Used D600, D700, D7200 would be same / cheaper than new D5500. Do you need pro / sealed body or small / light? Durable shutter that will do 100,000+ actuations (Dxxx / D7xxx) or not (D5xxx)? Tilt / touch screen (only on D5xxx in this price range, D750 is great but $1500 even used)? AF microadjust (using lenses <f4)? Low light performance (FX streets ahead)?

Personally having done both I'd go with used semi-pro models as the cheaper dx bodies don't focus well with faster lenses, but if you'll only use big range zooms this won't matter much for you. If you don't want to change lenses much / ever then d5500 makes sense, or maybe a mirrorless system.

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:45 AM
some_film

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

What do you like to photograph? I mean, what subjects?

eliluong wrote:
Hi all, I stopped doing photography (as a hobby) four years ago, life got really busy, I left all my old gear behind. It was a Nikon D70. I went travelling with it with a 18-300 lens that was really useful.

I now have more free time and am wanting to get back into this hobby. I'm living in the midwest for a year before going back to California so it would be a good experience. I think I'd like to keep my budget around 700-1000 for now, with an upgrade in about 3-5 years. Open to buying used, also. I've
...Show more

Oct 16, 2016 at 09:05 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

D7100s are going for very little money used, considering what you get for the $.

Oct 16, 2016 at 09:30 PM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

You could get a Fuji X-E2 and the 18-55 and have $ left over. It is a light and capable camera with fantastic image quality, and it gives you an electronic viewfinder, (see your finished photo before you take the shot).
I have a lifetime of pro Nikon cameras to bias me and I love the fuji!

Oct 16, 2016 at 09:45 PM
eliluong

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

acutol wrote:
Used D600, D700, D7200 would be same / cheaper than new D5500. Do you need pro / sealed body or small / light? Durable shutter that will do 100,000+ actuations (Dxxx / D7xxx) or not (D5xxx)? Tilt / touch screen (only on D5xxx in this price range, D750 is great but $1500 even used)? AF microadjust (using lenses <f4)? Low light performance (FX streets ahead)?

Personally having done both I'd go with used semi-pro models as the cheaper dx bodies don't focus well with faster lenses, but if you'll only use big range zooms this won't matter much for you. If
...Show more

Good questions. Size does not matter and I don't have any specific requirements in that regard. At the bottom of this post I answer what type of photography I plan to be doing. It'll be a cold winter, but I won't be trying to photograph in the middle of a blizzard or downpour.

Regarding durability, at most I will be doing in the tens of thousands of actuations, so nowhere near 100,000. The tilt/touch screen is nifty/useful, but I years ago I used the D70 heavily and never had a problem that prevented me from photographing something. It also did not display the aperture/shutter/ISO information in the LCD display, but displayed it on a small LCD screen on the top.

At this time, I won't have the budget for buying expensive and fast lenses. Maybe in a few years, but not right now. Low light performance- I'm not too sure. When I traveled, the biggest benefit I got was a lens with vibration-reduction. I would like to try some night photography (long-exposure), but general night photography (eg a band playing in a dark bar) is less a priority.

What do you consider a semi-pro model? I assume the Dx models are pro cameras, and the Dxxxx are consumer to pro-sumer? So Dxxx = semi-pro? The reason I was drawn to the D5500 was the praise for its sensor among other things in that are 'new' and the D7xxx is pricey. In your experience, do you feel it would make that much of a difference for me? I'm definitely not going to be pushing the limits like a pro photographer would demand of it.

Lens-wise, I enjoy taking photos at wide angle. I think during travels the zoom lens was helpful because I was often far from whatever subject I was photographing, like a person or some object. The rest of the time in my home area, it would be mostly some old kit lens, a 28-70mm or something like that.

frdjohns wrote:
D7100s are going for very little money used, considering what you get for the $.

Thanks, I will keep this in mind.

some_film wrote:
What do you like to photograph? I mean, what subjects?

I should have mentioned that in the original post. At this time, I plan to do mostly still photography, landscape, try out night/long exposure of the sky, walking around the city.

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:43 PM
some_film

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

Okay, if I understand correctly: You have a budget of about $1000 for a body and lenses. You'll upgrade in a few years. You like shooting wide angle, and also found VR and a telezoom was helpful. And you want to do primarily landscape, city, night and astrophotography.

$1000 is not a lot to cover all those bases.

The D5500 and Sigma 18-250 indeed might be your kit choice. I'm not a huge fan of the D5500, and for $50 more I'd strongly prefer a D7100, as observed above. That would give you the pro body layout with two command dials and two card slots, CLS, AF with older D-series glass and metering with even older AI glass for example, opening the market for used Nikon lenses to you. The D7100 would be a body you could build around and expect to keep. But I had an assistant who used a D5x00 and she produced fine photos with it. And if astrophotography is very important to you, there is also this: http://nikonrumors.com/2016/10/11/primaluce-lab-makes-a-special-nikon-d5500a-cooled-camera-for-astrophotography.aspx/

A used D610 would be a bit more than your entire budget but for the subjects you mention would really excel. It has excellent noise at higher ISO, and will be great for night photography. Also great for landscapes.

Oct 17, 2016 at 01:31 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

the D610 will be great for night photography as long as you can take over yourself for focusing - the AF module is not up to low light levels

but if we can convince you on FF... you will be happy later on & can economize on lenses by buying the many xlnt ones Nikon made in the past

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:05 PM
eliluong

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

rw11 wrote:
the D610 will be great for night photography as long as you can take over yourself for focusing - the AF module is not up to low light levels

but if we can convince you on FF... you will be happy later on & can economize on lenses by buying the many xlnt ones Nikon made in the past

It's so pricey, $2000 retail for body and the kit lens (24-85). I just have to hunt and wait for a used one? What lens would you recommend as a base?

Oct 17, 2016 at 08:23 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

check the Nikon store for refurbs - lots of them & they come with a warranty

I most often use the cheapo 24-85 kit lens - it is just fine when stopped down

the 24-120 has more reach and may be a tad better - current production only

many. many great old Nikon lenses will work any Ai lens or later - I have 2 old micros (MF) and the AF-D 105 micro; several 50's of various vintages (all cheap), the 80-400 for wildlife and various other old MF lenses

MF lens can go for $50, $80, whatever in great condition; you can use them all on a D610 or D600; get a 28 or 35 MF for <$100 in Ai, AiS or AF-D if you want AF

---> the FF is what you want for night or low light use

the D5300 DX body (or later ones) also do a good job; but the FF just seems a little magical in comparison

BTW ALWAYS shoot in RAW; get a jpg too if you want but never jpg only

any modern DX body, much less the FF bodies, will KILL your old D70 - I had a D70s, then a D80, and some others like a D5100 - when I got the D610 it revivified my interest in photography

Oct 17, 2016 at 09:37 PM
acutol

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

In response to the semi-pro question, there's not a clear correlation with the number of digits . I'd call D4, D5, also D500 pro; D600, 610, 700, 750, 7000, 7100 and 7200 semi-pro; D5xxx and D3xxx consumer. Mostly consumer vs semi-pro difference is twin SD cards, two command dials, rugged body, AF microadjust, and use of non-G lenses. In your price range you are looking at used semi-pro (maybe a clearance D7100) or new consumer. I'd consider a used semi-pro more reliable than a new consumer camera so I wouldn't worry too much about new / used. The semi pro won't take better pictures (same image quality, maybe a tad better if you can go to FX) but it will make it easier to take good pictures, and may save you money on lenses if you like old glass.

You are stretching your price range to get into FX but a used D600 is accessible and I have one and like it a lot. As said above the 24-85 is a decent kit lens, as good as the DX kit lenses or better.

If you are buying new I would definitely look at Fuji also and maybe the Sony A6300, lots of people are switching from Nikon to Fuji but the main advantage of Nikon right now is lots of great old cheap used gear (esp lenses) and great image quality for the price.

Oct 18, 2016 at 09:20 AM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

Have you considered Canon?
Lots of options under $1000 refurbished at the Canon store that would cover all your bases.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t6i-ef-s-18-55mm-is-stm-lens-kit-with-ef-s-55-250mm-f-4-56-is-stm-lens-refurbished

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-10-18mm-f45-56-is-stm-refurbished

Oct 18, 2016 at 08:28 PM
eliluong

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

rw11 wrote:
BTW ALWAYS shoot in RAW; get a jpg too if you want but never jpg only

any modern DX body, much less the FF bodies, will KILL your old D70 - I had a D70s, then a D80, and some others like a D5100 - when I got the D610 it revivified my interest in photography

Yep, I plan to follow some tutorials/guides on developing RAW files in the future.
---------------------------------------------

acutol wrote:
You are stretching your price range to get into FX but a used D600 is accessible and I have one and like it a lot. As said above the 24-85 is a decent kit lens, as good as the DX kit lenses or better.

If you are buying new I would definitely look at Fuji also and maybe the Sony A6300, lots of people are switching from Nikon to Fuji but the main advantage of Nikon right now is lots of great old cheap used gear (esp lenses) and great image quality for the price.

I'm leaning towards the D600/610. D610 around 1000-1100, maybe on eBay? And I can start out with the kit lens. It will increase my budget, but that is okay, I can accommodate it. When I initiated this question, I wasn't fully aware of the price range and was not intending on going FF. I've spent years with DX sensors, I feel I can/should make a jump to FF to learn and gain additional experience with a new area.

---------------------------------------------

Mar73 wrote:
Have you considered Canon?
Lots of options under $1000 refurbished at the Canon store that would cover all your bases.

I have not; everyone here in this thread has been recommending Nikon and all I've been reading is about Nikon. Thank you for the suggestion, however.

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:44 PM
nick53097
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

I would try to start wit referbished Nikon D5300/5500 with 18-55 VR II lens.
They manually calibrated and surprisingly good. You can also get Nikon 35mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8 duo and be set for a long time.
Used Nikon D600 with 50mm lens would be my personal choice to start again. Add used Nikon 24-85 VR lens and you good to go.

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:36 PM
eliluong

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

some_film wrote:
A used D610 would be a bit more than your entire budget but for the subjects you mention would really excel. It has excellent noise at higher ISO, and will be great for night photography. Also great for landscapes.

rw11 wrote:

Guys. I bought it. New body from Koh's on eBay and a used lens from a seller here. Both for about $1300, which is above my budget but hopefully worth it. I injured my ankle recently and haven't had a chance to go outside to try the camera yet, though But I have been learning how to use the camera. It is quite heftier than my prior D70 + Tamron 24-300mm, but maybe it's just atrophy of the camera-grip muscles At least a magnitude more functions and settings than the D70, too. Hopefully will be able to shoot this weekend!

http://i.imgur.com/AU7QY1Q.jpg

Nov 03, 2016 at 08:09 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Out of photography for a few years, coming back, DSLR recommendations?

Congrats on your lovely new kit ! However the first thing I'd do is ditch that UV filter and always use the hood ! Better contrast, lower flare and arguably sharper (depending on the quality of your filter).

Nov 04, 2016 at 04:12 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.