New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Rent or Buy Gear?

Mar73
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rent or Buy Gear?

I know this has been discussed before but I would like some input on my specific circumstances. I became obsessed with photography as a hobby in 2012 for numerous reasons. First, I am a father of two and want to capture images of my family throughout the years. Secondly, I travel quite a bit with work and often visit places that I can enjoy wildlife, landscape, and street photography.

So over the past four years I have built the following kit:

Canon 50d & Canon SL1
Canon 24mm STM
Canon 50mm STM
Canon 85mm f1.8
Canon 100mm f2.8
Sigma 10-20
Sigma 17-50 f2.8
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 non-OS
Sigma 170-500

I have upgrade plans for for about half of the listed above that I will do over the next few years.

So the biggest area that my gear falls short for my needs is when I shoot Ballet twice a year and theatre/school plays about twice a year. My images of those events have gotten better but the noise levels and overall image quality is what I want to improve. Other than those four or five events a year I can get by with crop sensors. I am considering just renting a 5Div and most likely the Canon 70-200 ii for at least the Ballet performances. My Sigma 70-200 is good but I can't help but want the Canon. If I buy a FF it will likely be a 5dii or 6d as those are in the budget range I am considering.

So what would you do, rent 5Div/iii or buy 5Dii?

Thanks,
Marty

Oct 15, 2016 at 06:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rent or Buy Gear?

I'd just buy a 6D.

Oct 15, 2016 at 06:59 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rent or Buy Gear?

You do NOT want to buy the 5D II. I used them professionally for several years and while the image quality under normal light is excellent, the autofocus is pretty horrible and the 6D or 5D III (or IV) will far outstrip it in low light conditions. Any of these factors will impact your stage shooting negatively. Personally, I'm still using my superb 5D III bodies, but may move to the IV in a few months for no particular reason.

The Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II is just one of those lenses every pro should own. Yeah, it's heavy and pricey, but it is so darn useful that I essentially keep it glued to one of my bodies full time.

Oct 15, 2016 at 07:22 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rent or Buy Gear?

In general five 3 week rentals is about the cost of a purchase.
Shorter rentals are more expensive per day. If you need five 1 week rentals per year purchase is a better choice.

I am now at the point where I do rent pricey extra/backup gear for 3 weeks at a time, when that is only needed once or less per year. Cameras typically have a lower practical life than bodies, whereas lenses are often the same for a decade or more. The one advantage to renting lenses is that some outfits (e.g., Lensrentals) do a great job of testing so you will get a good copy and usually can buy it later.

EBH

Oct 15, 2016 at 08:24 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rent or Buy Gear?

jcolwell wrote:
I'd just buy a 6D.

Even with the rumored 6Dii right around the corner? The prices of good used 6Ds are holding there value better than any body I've been paying attention to for the past year or two.

Oct 15, 2016 at 08:59 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rent or Buy Gear?

hotdog12 wrote:
You do NOT want to buy the 5D II. I used them professionally for several years and while the image quality under normal light is excellent, the autofocus is pretty horrible and the 6D or 5D III (or IV) will far outstrip it in low light conditions. Any of these factors will impact your stage shooting negatively. Personally, I'm still using my superb 5D III bodies, but may move to the IV in a few months for no particular reason.

The Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II is just one of those lenses every pro should own. Yeah, it's heavy and pricey,
...Show more

Thanks for the advice.
I have been very tempted lately to just pick up a 5Dii at the price they are selling for these days. I'd better just save up.

Oct 15, 2016 at 09:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rent or Buy Gear?

jcolwell wrote:
I'd just buy a 6D.

Mar73 wrote:
Even with the rumored 6Dii right around the corner?

If I needed the capabilities now, that would be best provided by a 6D, I'd buy it now. As it is, I have two of them.

Oct 15, 2016 at 09:08 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rent or Buy Gear?

EB-1 wrote:
In general five 3 week rentals is about the cost of a purchase.
Shorter rentals are more expensive per day. If you need five 1 week rentals per year purchase is a better choice.

I am now at the point where I do rent pricey extra/backup gear for 3 weeks at a time, when that is only needed once or less per year. Cameras typically have a lower practical life than bodies, whereas lenses are often the same for a decade or more. The one advantage to renting lenses is that some outfits (e.g., Lensrentals) do a great job of testing
...Show more

Thanks, good things to consider.
This is exactly the struggle I am working out. As my daughter progresses in her dance she will likely have more time on stage and more lead roles. When that happens I want the best gear possible. At her age I think once a year for the next couple of years I would want to have the best gear. After that I will likely buy anyway.

Oct 15, 2016 at 09:13 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rent or Buy Gear?

I think body rentals are a bit expensive...You can actually buy (used) bodies here in FM, use them for a couple of months and sell them again in FM, for a total cost that is usually less than 2-3 days worth of renting them. Hell, often you only get to pay P&P and insurance on it (would not ship an uninsured 5DII / 6D or more expensive package)...and you pay insurance and P&P for returning the rentals anyways!

So I don't really like renting bodies - not as a value proposition. I would see me doing in in a pinch (for backup, unexpected failure of owned gear, 1-time thing) and it is great that these services are available, but...

Now, I would not buy a 5DII...it is almost the same price as a 6D, and the latter despite being of "lesser" stature, packs a newer and better sensor. It actually tops the 5DIII sensor too. The only downfall is that the AF system is not a huge upgrade vs. your current bodies. Otherwise it is easily the best budget FF for Canon users - unless you can find a 5D3 really cheap, in which case you could compromise marginally in IQ and ability to change focus screens or having a GPS for your travel shots, to get the better built body with the better buffer and AF. And dual card slots if you care.

---

A stabilized or not 70-200 f/2.8 lens would be greatly improved with a monopod under its tripod ring for that ballet shots. This could make a completely different experience with keeper rate etc.

The 6D would have great(er) high ISO performance which would also help for event shooting, but I could see you keep doing what you are doing with a 80D: it is still a cropper, but the AF is much newer/better than that in the 6D, and you won't lose compatibility with all this APS-C glass you already have. It is also a much faster shooter, allowing for some action/event and wildlife opportunities that the 6D would struggle with a bit. Also has much better video, DPAF, swivel screen etc that the 6D lacks.

----

If you have local stores renting,specialized lenses, like big Canon whites or a 85L etc, that you can rent for a weekend and are charged for a single day if returned by Monday evening, are the best value IMHO. You can really "vent" your G.A.S. this way, and take some good shots on those field-trips or planned shoots - or the events you are mentioning in the process. Specialized lenses at that are often not used during most of the year by most amateurs, so renting makes more sense.

Oct 16, 2016 at 03:43 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rent or Buy Gear?

I think we should see examples of what you are not satisfied with in your current ballet and theatre shots. F2.8 70-200 and f1.8 85mm should work quite well at least on the SL1 that had 70d era sensor. I am not familiar with the Sigma, but the Canon 85 f1.8 is considered decently sharp.
I think a discussion with examples would help clarify and vein rule out a lot of assumptions being made behind many of he suggestions above.

I have shot professional performances with a 7d original single spotlight iso 3200 f2.8 1/250 was quite happy. The sl1 being 1/2 generation better.

Oct 16, 2016 at 04:57 AM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rent or Buy Gear?

Thanks for the replies dtolios and gschlact. The 80D and 70D are on the watch list and may well be what I replace the 50D with. I am going to want to have a body that I can shoot my son's sports with when he gets a little older. So the SL1 will be for travel, 80D for sports and wildlife, and the delimma is wether or not to add a third body FF just for low light work a few times a year. I would rather put that money into glass upgrades and not have 3 bodies.

I have shot Ballet with a 30D and a 50D and have acceptable results but the noise at 1600 could be better and the noise at 3200 just really disappoints me. I do/have use a monopod depending on the performance, lighting, seating location, etc..

I have not shot the SL1 in performance yet since I just added it to the bag in July. I am loving the SL1 and shooting it the most except when my two longest lenses. It feels out of balance with the big lenses.

The 80D is made for guys like me and seems like the perfect upgrade but I'm not sure the noise would be significantly better than the 50D. So the number one reason for wanting a FF is noise reduction. The noise reduction in Lightroom makes everything look plastic to me once you push the slider up to 50.

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:05 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password