New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · VLX Vagabond and Bowens 500Pro

iourtch

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · VLX Vagabond and Bowens 500Pro

Hi,

I sent this question to PCB but didn't get a response.

Does anyone have first-hand experience of using VLX to power one or two Bowens 500Pro lights? I want to confirm that the Bowens properly sense the input voltage, and that they work okay with the voltage drop when the lights recycle and draw lots of current.

I am totally digging the 160W*h capacity of the VLX, but the external design of the units makes me question how robust it is on the inside.

Looking for a confirmation from fellow Bowens users ))

Oct 15, 2016 at 04:16 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · VLX Vagabond and Bowens 500Pro

It makes a huge difference if you want to power one or two 500 WS strobes with a small 160 watt inverter and battery. And. what you need for recycle times. If your strobes can handle the voltage drop, then it would work, but I would consult Bowens, especially if they are still under warranty. You really should have an inverter with at least 300 or 350 watts. You bought good strobes don't scrimp on the power.

Keep in mind that a 500 WS strobe will draw at least 5 amps on recycle at full power. A 160 watt inverter is less than 2 amps continuous power. It can work because the draw is for such a short period of time. But the more strobes you add the longer the recycle and the greater the voltage drop. This is why the better portable packs have larger inverters and batteries, and are naturally heavier. I really like the Innovatonix and the Godox

And, you get what you pay for.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1186033&gclid=CKHXh6Tm3c8CFQ0yaQodexcOKw&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C52934714882%2C&is=REG&A=details

http://www.innovatronix.com/index.php/component/k2/item/373-tronix-explorer-500li-tronix-explorer-pdock

Oct 15, 2016 at 09:58 PM
iourtch

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · VLX Vagabond and Bowens 500Pro

Gregg Heckler wrote:
It makes a huge difference if you want to power one or two 500 WS strobes with a small 160 watt inverter and battery. And. what you need for recycle times.

Thanks. I have a pretty good handle on the physics of it all, I just want to see if anyone had experience with the Bowens.

Btw, the VLX has 160 Watt x Hours of capacity. It is not a 160W inverter.

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · VLX Vagabond and Bowens 500Pro

OK thank you. You'll probably have a challenge finding many Bowens users on this forum, especially with a Vagabond.

My issue with PCB is that they don't tell you the size of the inverter and they should.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:25 AM
iourtch

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · VLX Vagabond and Bowens 500Pro

Gregg Heckler wrote:
My issue with PCB is that they don't tell you the size of the inverter and they should.

The marketing materials say the VLX delivers 400W continuously. But still, thanks for the feedback!

Oct 16, 2016 at 01:06 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · VLX Vagabond and Bowens 500Pro

You're right.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:06 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password