Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

millsart
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

I've been trying out the built in sweep pano mode on the XT-2 and just can't seem to sweep the camera at a speed/pacing that makes the camera happy.

On past Sony cameras I've owned the pano mode works great (though obviously moving subjects, waves etc will cause issues). Likewise, its nearly foolproof on my iPhone and works great at any speed of panning.

On the XT2 so far, setting it both horizontal and vertical orientation for panning, and the wide and normal width panos I just can't seem to have much luck. I'm getting maybe 1 out of 10 actually working, and often it seems like everything went fine, I panned really smooth, at the right speed and at the end it always gives an error message.

Just curious if anyone else is having any luck with this mode ?

Oct 15, 2016 at 03:13 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

millsart wrote:
I've been trying out the built in sweep pano mode on the XT-2 and just can't seem to sweep the camera at a speed/pacing that makes the camera happy.

On past Sony cameras I've owned the pano mode works great (though obviously moving subjects, waves etc will cause issues). Likewise, its nearly foolproof on my iPhone and works great at any speed of panning.

On the XT2 so far, setting it both horizontal and vertical orientation for panning, and the wide and normal width panos I just can't seem to have much luck. I'm getting maybe 1 out of 10 actually working,
...Show more

Yes, I have good luck on this mode (though I really don't use it). I just tested about 7 panoramas and almost all worked.

The only time it didn't work was when I rotated too slowly (if you see the progress bar nearly stopping, you're going too slow---I was intentionally going pretty slow) or when I pressed the shutter button again to try to stop (can't do that with Fuji, unfortunately).

Using the 18-55 with OIS off, rotating mostly with my torso, etc. No real problems with it

Oct 15, 2016 at 03:41 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

I was trying them during sunset, so maybe the lower light levels and required exposures were throwing things off a bit.

Will try do a few more in good light this afternoon and see if that matters any. I still need to update the FW on my 18-55 as well, so maybe its an issue with that lens as well. My 90/2 works vastly better on the XT2 now that I updated to fw 1.02.

I may have had the OS on when doing the pano's as well. Wonder if the OS might be an issue ? Although, if it is, I would think the camera could override the setting when you switch to pano mode.

Could be Sony just has an edge on sweep pano's as well. They did pioneer the feature IIRC. I know that on my A7 series cameras it just always worked, no matter how slow/fast you swept it etc.

I don't really remember to use it a ton, but when it works its pretty handy to get a pano right out of the camera.

I've had everything from nodal ninj'as to Gigapano robatic panning heads, and the "problem" I always get is that I come home from shooting and just never get around to assembling manual pano's.

When I can just do a quick sweep one and have the jpeg output with the work already done, the images tend to see the light of day

Oct 15, 2016 at 03:51 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

millsart wrote:
I was trying them during sunset, so maybe the lower light levels and required exposures were throwing things off a bit.

Will try do a few more in good light this afternoon and see if that matters any. I still need to update the FW on my 18-55 as well, so maybe its an issue with that lens as well. My 90/2 works vastly better on the XT2 now that I updated to fw 1.02.

I may have had the OS on when doing the pano's as well. Wonder if the OS might be an issue ? Although, if it is,
...Show more

Yeah play around in bright light and see how it works -- I'm not a big fan of it because the images are too damn wide (even with Pano(M)) and you can't stop when you want to, which really sucks.

Additionally, looking at file sizes, it seems the JPEGs are pretty compressed because a pano(M) stitch I had was only 8MB, when a normal Jpeg Fine from the XT2 is around 12MB.

Anyway, good luck with getting it working - I'd probably use it more if I could choose when to stop sweeping, as generally I only need about 3-5 vertical shots for most panos I want to do.

Oct 15, 2016 at 04:34 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

The problem I have with it is it keeps shooting far beyond the number of shots needed to accomplish a wide view. I wish I had more control over that as it is just not manageable. It keeps shooting far beyond the area I'm trying to capture. Oh well I'll have to play more with that.

Oct 15, 2016 at 05:25 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

I'm finding that issue as well. No ability to just hit the shutter again and stop, like how the iPhone pano mode works. I think I'm slowing down the speed of panning at the end since I don't really want/need it any wider, but you can't seem to slow down and just have more overlap on the last half of it.

Seems like you really need to have a fixed speed interval over a pretty wide area and then, and only then, will it work. Kind of a shame, but I certainly didn't buy the camera for its pano ability. Given there was a setting on the dial for it though I thought I'd try it out and had a bit less luck than I hoped. Seems my results are somewhat par for the course.

Oct 15, 2016 at 05:35 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

traveler wrote:
The problem I have with it is it keeps shooting far beyond the number of shots needed to accomplish a wide view. I wish I had more control over that as it is just not manageable. It keeps shooting far beyond the area I'm trying to capture. Oh well I'll have to play more with that.

I've tried it, and it works, but I don't find it too useful. I generally prefer to shoot a series of portrait images and stitch them together for a high resolution pano. The built in pano mode gives a 6000 x 1440 image and I don't like the aspect ratio.

Oct 15, 2016 at 06:15 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

I gave up on in-camera panoramas when LR made it so easy.

Oct 15, 2016 at 06:53 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

Why not set the exposure to manual and just shoot a few images and stitch them yourself?
Much nicer doing it when you are in really low light or doing night auroras and stars as the pano modes don't seem to like 15-30 second exposures for some reason.

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:52 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

As I said, I've been doing manual panos since the first versions of PTGui where you had to go in an manually select each overlapping pixel in all the images lol. I've also had every pano rig imaginable from rails, to nodal ninja's to gigapans. Manual pano's work great and todays software has made it easier than ever, but..... I have lord knows how many hundred if not thousands of images from various pano sequences I've shot and then never got around to sitting down and stitching together. I'm both busy and very lazy, and try to spend as much of my free time out shooting or doing other things these days, so as a result I'm spending far less time sitting at the PC editing.

When I started shooting Sony's, RX1 I think it was, I started trying the pano mode and it worked really well about 8 out of 10 times, and at a resolution that was even enough for making prints. Suddenly anytime I was passing a beach or city skyline etc, I was grabbing quick pano's because it literally took maybe 10 seconds to shoot it, and when I got back home, I had the assembled file ready and done.

So that was the attraction for me, SOOC files I can go throw right onto FB etc

Oct 17, 2016 at 02:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

traveler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

So does anyone know if I should choose the portrait format of shooting a panorama, is there a way to cut down the number of frames it seems to want to take? Or am I stuck going far beyond the dimension I'm trying to capture? I haven't dived into menus yet to discover if this is possible. Just curious for anyone that may have already done their homework regarding the way the pano mode can be manipulated. I don't care for the long thin versions so I set it up to start from a "Portrait" mode and pan that way as I prefer it to be taller instead of longer and not as tall. I had a Sony A7RII before and it by no means got excessive with the number of frames it tried to take.

Oct 17, 2016 at 03:19 AM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

Fuji's implementation is OK, but out of the 5-6 of them I've done every single one had a stitching error in it if you looked closely.

DSCF0207a by Michael Toyama, on Flickr

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:32 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

I never had a lot of luck with Fuji's in-camera panos. (And limited luck with phone-panos-- more satisfied, but lower expectations and lower level of pixel peeping.)

Lightroom has made panos so easy (though I wish it provided more control than it currently does). It also gives nearly perfect results-- I have only made a couple dozen, but I can't think of a single one where I could find an error/artifact when zooming around even at 100%, even when the images to be stitched were shot handheld.

Oct 17, 2016 at 06:27 AM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

Can Lightroom CC do them with a Jpeg series? Or did they have to be RAW?

Oct 17, 2016 at 06:40 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

Lightroom CC can do either JPEG or RAW.

Lightroom CC has been inconsistent for me - about 1 in 5 of my tripod or handheld panos does not stitch properly and I have to bring the files into Microsoft ICE. Actually, ICE almost always gives better results - the only reason I use Lightroom is because of how convenient it is.

Oct 17, 2016 at 07:30 PM
Joseph Marney
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

Tried it a few times, couldn't get it without obvious stitching errors.

Not a make it or break it feature for me, but disappointing, considering other cameras (and phones) do it so well.

Oct 19, 2016 at 03:21 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

dhachey wrote:
I've tried it, and it works, but I don't find it too useful. I generally prefer to shoot a series of portrait images and stitch them together for a high resolution pano. The built in pano mode gives a 6000 x 1440 image and I don't like the aspect ratio.

Is it fixed to that ratio? I've not yet used this feature but am getting interested. I wonder as well, what the difference between the auto panno and using software and multiple frames?

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:37 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

if using software - does the amount of overlap help with stitching errors? Anyone use a dedicated stitching program, and if so which one and how do you like it? I won't use Photoshop or Lightroom. One is a subscription and the other I really dislike, so I'm not against spending some cash on a good dedicated panno program.

I run several macs and have two pc's, but one is a dedicated server and the other a VM box, so I'd rather avoid windows software, and favor Mac based or Linux based stuff, anyways. Any ideas on what to check out?

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:43 PM
sfogg

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

For a free program Hugin does pretty well. I bought AutoPano Giga which can stitch very well. Less errors than lightroom but LR is much easier to use and it handles lens corrections better than APG. That can make a big difference in blends where you have vignetting in each frame. LR is nice as it can blend from RAW and give you a DNG in return.

Shawn

Oct 22, 2016 at 09:08 PM
liggy
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji Pano mode, anyone having any luck with it ?

Honestly prefer iPhone panos to X camera panos.

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:49 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password