Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

The majority of my prints are 16x9 aspect, even 3x2 is too square for me. So no interest in MF.

Oct 29, 2016 at 07:39 PM
Copypaste
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

voidsherpa wrote:
Well that's where you went wrong, you need to try Phase1!

All kidding aside, I shoot a dual Phase1/Canon 35mm system and the MF .IIQ files are much more robust. Hard to explain if it's the increased tonality or color science but they just make me smile (not scientific at all). Each system serves it's purpose. Actually thinking about switching the 35mm system to Nikon d810 and D4's away from Canon (5dsr doesn't interest me at all) due to Canons FPN in the base iso even with a mild lift.

Yeah, I am sure the files might handle differently in certain situations, and that was one of the things that drew me towards a MF system. Overall though it didn't fit my type of work - or *how* I work - to be worth it to me. I mean, first and foremost I need to get the shot. I would like to test out the Phase system a bit more though. I had a Phase-rep fly up and meet me in my home town so I could test it. But it was a too limiting test though, just shooting around the office etc, not using it in a real situation. However, I got the same "this is a very slow and not-so-smooth system overall" comparing it to Canon.

Oct 29, 2016 at 08:50 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

IMO dslr sure versitale and great for all types of photography but the images are more limited than mf images. But mf isn't for running and gunning IMO it's for shots that are created not taken . With mf you do everything the right way, you scout your location if it's not in the studio, then you pick the time of day so the ambient light is correct then if needed you add your artificial light, you create your subject unless it's a landscape shot or similar. You meter the light massage all the settings so you get the focus depth of field and motion that you desire. With film you take several shots with either a dslr or Polaroid if available so you can see what you have before pressing the shutter. With dslr it's much more spontaneous if you want.

Oct 30, 2016 at 02:23 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Absolutely. Personally MF, but particularly LF, shooting was often like a ritual of meticulous preparation - and highly enjoyable too. One key piece of equipment being a stool - to sit and wait for the light.

Oct 30, 2016 at 08:38 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Michael White wrote:
IMO dslr sure versitale and great for all types of photography but the images are more limited than mf images. But mf isn't for running and gunning IMO it's for shots that are created not taken . With mf you do everything the right way, you scout your location if it's not in the studio, then you pick the time of day so the ambient light is correct then if needed you add your artificial light, you create your subject unless it's a landscape shot or similar. You meter the light massage all the settings so you get the
...Show more

Creating a photo rather than just taking a photo has nothing to do with MF or DSLRs. It's a decipline approach to photography which I happen to follow using DSLR's, Mirrorless and my film 6x7 and 4x5 cameras. it's a poor excuse that says DSLR's make you a run and gun photographer...that is squarely on your shoulders...not the type of camera.

What the DSLR allows is the ability to run and gun as well as a deliberate disciplined approach to photography.

Oct 30, 2016 at 02:02 PM
Tmuussoni
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

I admit the Hasselblad X1D is the first Digital MF I am seriously considering. I think I already prefer it over the Fuji due to it's smaller size. Will receive it in 8 days for testing and then I can make up my mind.

Can I afford it? Absolutely not. Only If I would sell my Current Leica M system... Difficult decision.

Oct 30, 2016 at 02:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

15Bit wrote:
To me MF is for either very wealthy hobbyists or pros who can turn the extra IQ into extra $'s. I am neither.

To me MF is for poor photographers that are willing to eat a lot of ramen noodles and drive an older car, to enjoy the variety that the hobby provides.

On the other hand small and mirrorless has been more liberating for me, than digital was over film in the first place, so while I'm very curious about the new Fuji MF, I hope I just hold the line.

Unlike most here, I've had a full wet darkroom here for almost ten years and have a fridge and freezer well stocked with film. We had to take the darkroom down as it got water damage, and mold, while I was in the hospital for two and a half years. I just stripped it down and am debating the merrit for me as far as medium format is concerned with Film first.

If I put the darkroom back, find I shoot a lot of MF film again and enjoy it ... then perhaps digital MF in a year or two. Why not ... life is short and ramen is filling.

But I suspect that I'll find that the larger MF stays on the shelf, while light and compact will be what I reach for. That will be my litmus test as to whether MF may be "the way".

High end 35mm SLR's and low end MF are close in price nowadays. It's not the megapixel quantity, nor the ultimate in IQ that is the only siren song for some of us. I'm drawn most by the more careful, deliberate approach that MF tends to foster in me, and also the DOF characteristics. DOF is thinner, but that is not all of it. It just looks unique. I love that look, sometimes.

So ... in answer - maybe.

Oct 31, 2016 at 06:27 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

I guess that is what I was trying to say Chex. I miss my wet darkroom and considered to shoot film then scan it to digital to produce it but I never got my old negatives scanned.

Oct 31, 2016 at 07:34 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Michael White wrote:
I guess that is what I was trying to say Chex.

But he said exactly the opposite to what you said...

Nov 03, 2016 at 02:09 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Michael White wrote:
IMO dslr sure versitale and great for all types of photography but the images are more limited than mf images. But mf isn't for running and gunning IMO it's for shots that are created not taken . With mf you do everything the right way, you scout your location if it's not in the studio, then you pick the time of day so the ambient light is correct then if needed you add your artificial light, you create your subject unless it's a landscape shot or similar. You meter the light massage all the settings so you get the
...Show more

What absolute nonsense. If you can't apply those same criteria to whatever gear you shoot with, you simply lack self-discipline.

Following your logic, you may as well go out and shoot with an 8x10 film camera, then develop your own film, and make your own prints. If you think that will make you a better photographer, then go do it.

Meanwhile, I may move down to 4/3 from dslr, even though that will make me a worse photographer.

Nov 04, 2016 at 01:05 AM
Sid Ceaser
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Back in the film days I was working with an RB67, but gave that up when a chance encounter led me to one of the last 500C/M's cleaned up before John Kovacs retired.

I've stuck to full frame 35mm DSLR's since then, but a few months ago after saving my pennies for a really long time I came across a Phase One P30 digital back at a price too good to turn away from, and I've been slowly getting to know how this Phase wants to work with my 500C/M.

And what an absolute joy it is to be using my favorite camera of all time again in a digital workflow.

Local shooters have been giving me a hard time: "Why would you want a digital back that is so old?" and "Why bother with putting a back on a 500 body when you can get their new digital stuff?"

Really, it comes down to the 500 being my all time favorite camera. Ever. Of all time. I love that camera. If I can find a way to shoot with it digitally to CF card and not be tethered so I can take it to location shoots, then I'm going to do it.

I don't care if others think it's too "cumbersome". I don't care if the LCD on the back of that camera is absolute trash. I don't care that the back is 10 years old at this point. I don't care. To me, it's absolutely worth learning how to work with.

and I love it.

I didn't feel it was necessary to move to MF, it was something I wanted to do for a very long time. I've been slowly integrating shooting with it into my jobs, and just hearing that "CHOCK-LOCK" sound of the shutter makes my heart happy.

It is kind of funny, though, seeing all these people shooting 35mm suddenly declaring that it's "Time to move up to MF!". Most of them need to work more on flexing their creative lobes in their brains than they do needing a medium format rig.

Cheers,
Sid

Nov 04, 2016 at 05:54 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Sometimes the most important thing that is forgotten is the process in this thing called photography. This is what Sid is talking about. It is about the simple joy of using the camera (system) that gives you the most enjoyment, regardless of format.

The P30 is a great MFDB. It produces great files right out of the box. I used to joke that if I accidentally dropped my camera and the shutter went off, I could look at the P30 in amazement and say, wow, look at that image I just got....

ken

Nov 05, 2016 at 03:24 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password