Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

How many as they learn more about our art decide to move up to medium format?

Over the past two years I've been learning more about the are of photography the first four decades I learned to capture good to great images. Now I'm learning how to make great images. And from that I'm thinking a medium format works well in to that process not that a dslr doesn't it the creation of an image is a step by step process so why not get the best imcage you can and be able to do whatever with it. Dslr only can be blown up so much before the image suffer and since the size of the mf sensor is so much larger you can go even larger. The mf camera should be used with a tripod, all images are sharper when properly shot from a tripod to reduce movement.

To me the dslr is and action camera for sports, journalism, and wildlife images where you craft the image but you do not create like you do in the studio for portraits, product and other images where you have almost total control.

Agree or disagree

Oct 15, 2016 at 04:34 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

I started with 135 40 years ago and then moved to 6x9 and later 6x7 about 25 years ago. I received the 1Ds nearly 14 years ago and within a year was completely done with film of any kind. A 42-50 MP body without AA and with the best modern primes can do quite well. Even in earlier times I panned and stitched numerous landscapes to obtain the IQ of a longer lens and larger area of coverage.

Back to the question, it seems that you find studio work to be superior and deserving of better gear. I'd rather be outdoors and not have total control. I find capturing the natural world far more interesting, challenging, and rewarding than creating anything artsy in a studio. Indoors is a good place for testing ISO charts. I'm not a photographer though, so my values are probably atypical.

EBH

Oct 15, 2016 at 06:24 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Nah.

Oct 15, 2016 at 12:10 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

To me MF is for either very wealthy hobbyists or pros who can turn the extra IQ into extra $'s. I am neither.

Oct 15, 2016 at 12:17 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

^ Well I'm neither too but I use a Rolleiflex because I like the square format for certain situations.

Oct 15, 2016 at 09:51 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

peter_n wrote:
^ Well I'm neither too but I use a Rolleiflex because I like the square format for certain situations.

I was referring more to digital MF...

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:07 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Yes, I've thought about it. Just for landscapes really.

But I expect I will just wait for FF nikon bodies to move up in performance.

There is no perfect form size...

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Most digital MF sensors are not all that large, especially those in the more affordable systems. That is one of the reasons I am not so interested anymore.

EBH

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:49 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

If there was a 6x6 or 4x6 sensor in digital mf camera's I'd switch without a doubt, keeping just the bare minimum of DSLR lenses and bodies. But this is not going to happen any time soon imo. So whilst interested, I'm not really considering digital MF in it's current state. I wouldn't care if it was double the size of the X1D or Fuji.
The hasselblad sensors are quite marvelous though. The amount of recovery, dynamic range and color tones are beyond anything Canon and even Nikon is offering at the moment. 16bit does have many advantages it seems.

Oct 16, 2016 at 06:18 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Medium format digital is just a tool. Perhaps simplistic, but true.

DSLRs have their own capabilities, but given the choice, I go with medium format digital every time. There is a definite quality difference, albeit with a relatively high point of entry.

Professionally, there are other advantages outside of pure resolution, such as being able to use leaf shutter lenses and sync up to 1/1600th---none of this HSS stuff. With a technical camera, you now have full movements with Rodenstock and Schneider lenses, using the same MFDB. Some, like me, much prefer the format of the sensor over the skinny 2:3 of a DSLR.

My workflow is exactly the same with a DSLR or a MFDB.

Ken

Oct 16, 2016 at 09:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Yea for a while i was shooting a fuji xt1 and a canon 5dsr but ended up selling the fuji and moving to an Alpa 12 TC and a Phase One P45+

Its much more that sensor size though. The lenses for MF are amazing. I have 2 Alpagon versions of Rodenstock HR lenses, the 23mm and the 70mm and the 23 is sharper than anything ive seen on 35mm format. The 70 is amazing as well but you can really tell on the wide (its around a 15mm equivalent)

Oct 16, 2016 at 09:36 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Michael White wrote:
Dslr only can be blown up so much before the image suffer and since the size of the mf sensor is so much larger you can go even larger.

Thousands of pro and amateur photographers have no problem blowing up images as large as they or their clients want without using MF.

Following your logic, you may as well go to LF.

Oct 19, 2016 at 05:13 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

One step at a time. My thinking was using the proper tool for the job.

Dslr are perfect for sports and journalism purposes
But anytime you build the image I think you would be better suited to use a mf setup, not that the dslr can't do it but with that amount of effort the mf would give a far better image compared to the dslr if the correct back and lens is used.

Sure dslr images are being blown up to sizes that only a mf could handle years ago. It's not that dslr can not take the image and the image be great even but since the crafting of an image leads to using a mf which can deliver a better image with the correct gear used. Some mf lenses are much more sharpe than any dslr lens some give a much more pleasing bokea.

Oct 20, 2016 at 06:07 AM
Copypaste
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Hasselblad sent me a H6D-50c wifi + a couple of lenses to test for a week. I wanted to see how it compared to a Canon 5DsR. My conclusion? I couldn't really tell a difference between the two. I didn't even use the sharpest lenses on the 5DsR (like the amazing Zeiss lenses - 85mm otus/21mm milvus for example). I used the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS II. Both cameras were tested on a tripod.

The Hasselblads DR is probably better than the 5DsR (I have worked as a professional for soon 6 years and never have I had problems due to low DR, nor have any clients ever complained about bad dynamic range. So this issue is really not a great issue in real life). Other than that... the 5DsR handles SO much faster. Menus, settings, just everything is so much snappier. It is weather sealed. The batteries lasts so much longer. It is extremely much cheaper. I really could not justify getting the Hasselblad.

So I encourage you all to first test out a Hasselblad, in real life conditions. See what it is like in comparison to a similar camera of a different classification. In my opinion the test I did speaks volumes. The H6D looks really cool and all, and what you *think* Medium format is really drives you to want one. The sweet shutter sound (I thought the H6D was a bit clunky-sounding, and nothing special though), how all the "pros" use one. Just writing about Hasselblad now makes me sort of want one! There's a lust there. A mysterious lust.

Anyway, my impression while using it, and when doing the comparisons... yeah - it got down to this: $3300 (5DsR body - new) vs $46000 (Brand new H6D, 2 lenses. This is not including all the spare batteries I would need or the CFast cards). 3300 vs 46000! And I *couldn't* see ANY great difference! Madness. It was an easy choice.

Feel free to ask me any questions if you are considering a Hasselblad. And, as a final note: I work as a photographer and regularly print 47x31"/60x40" prints for exhibitions. I sell ultra large prints to companies. Last print I sold was 86" on the long side. 86 inches! And that is a print from a Canon 1D X, shot with a Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS II. And guess what! It looks great. Really great. I am not just saying that, because I am a perfectionist. However, I wanted to get the 5DsR just to see if I could make the prints even greater. This though puts the whole MF thing in perspective, doesn't it? Getting great ultra large prints from a 35mm dslr with only 18 megapixels.

Just wanted to chime in, as I, as a long time Canon shooter, have for a long time been drooling over MF cameras.

Oct 23, 2016 at 08:59 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

As far as I can see, the present "reasonable" MF, meaning the Pentax, the Fuji, the X1-D Hassy, even the Leica S, "only" have 60% more sensor surface area than a DSLR. It isn't all that much, really. They are far from the 6x6 or 6x7 MF of yore. So don't expect miracles. Besides, there are some pretty good lenses for DSLR, like Zeiss Otus, and mirrorless/DSLR bodies improve at a much faster clip. So, yes, I'll try one or the other, but my wallet doesn't fell overly threatened right now. Though I'd love to be wrong...

Oct 23, 2016 at 09:21 PM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Copypaste wrote:
So I encourage you all to first test out a Hasselblad...

Well that's where you went wrong, you need to try Phase1!

All kidding aside, I shoot a dual Phase1/Canon 35mm system and the MF .IIQ files are much more robust. Hard to explain if it's the increased tonality or color science but they just make me smile (not scientific at all). Each system serves it's purpose. Actually thinking about switching the 35mm system to Nikon d810 and D4's away from Canon (5dsr doesn't interest me at all) due to Canons FPN in the base iso even with a mild lift.

Oct 24, 2016 at 04:36 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Even if digital MF delivers a slight edge over today's FF cameras...I believe the mirrorless full format system has hit an ideal size / image quality and to a lesser degree cost balance. I can easily lug around my A7R with 3 lenses for 3 weeks in hot, humid crowded city street...don't believe it would be as easy with an equivalent ( MF lenses still don't exist ) medium format setup.

Oct 24, 2016 at 04:43 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Michael White wrote:
1. How many as they learn more about our art decide to move up to medium format?

2. And from that I'm thinking a medium format works well in to that process not that a dslr doesn't it the creation of an image is a step by step process so why not get the best imcage you can and be able to do whatever with it.

3. Dslr only can be blown up so much before the image suffer and since the size of the mf sensor is so much larger you can go even larger.

4. To me the
...Show more

1. I have thought about it, but am stopped by two things: (a) cost (b) medium format is much less versatile (c) My D800e is making big enough enlargements for me.

2. Depends on what you're shooting what camera will give you the "best image." For some things an 8x10 will. For others, a small travel camera will. For others, a DSLR will. Depends entirely on what you are taking shots of and under what conditions. I'd be hard pressed to take good shots using a Hassleblad digital while handholding it & riding on a combine. Not to mention the danger all that dust would present to such an expensive camera.

3. I'm happy with 20x30 from Nikon D800E. I really don't need much larger, and if I did I would stitch shots.

4. For product photography I'd want tilt/shift. You can get that with several systems.

Kent in SD

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:40 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

i am seriously thinking of picking up a Fuji GX680III (film ) I find shooting film is a fun challenge for me, and they aren't that super expensive. film, on the other hand...

Oct 26, 2016 at 06:19 PM
ariot
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Do you think about moving up to medium format?

Interesting thread now that Fuji wants to play too. I figured they would.

My MF experience is dated and limited to a Mamiya RB67. This was early 90s and the camera was from the mid-80s, I think.

Part of me says, yeah, if you can afford digital MF for personal use or work, get after it. I watched as a reader of Ming Thein's blog as he went up to MF. Cool eh?

But I'd probably move to digital Leica's MM rangefinder first, even if I had money for a full up Hassy MF.

Not that I think it would be "better" -- just better for me, walking around, goofing off, traveling, etc.

Oct 28, 2016 at 07:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password