Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Question about team pics

speakit101
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about team pics

Which is the most common in team pics Lustre, Glossy or Matte? Did glossy last year and a couple parents weren't satisfied with the outcome. Just curious. Thanks in advance.

Oct 15, 2016 at 04:21 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about team pics

Don't know if there is a 'most common'. There are always different opinions. It might be worth asking those who were not satisfied what was it that they objected to? I personally like Luster

Oct 15, 2016 at 12:37 PM
speakit101
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about team pics

True. One parent complained that it made it look fake. So I'll try either lustre.

Oct 15, 2016 at 01:25 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about team pics

Hmm... the word 'fake' represents an individual's interpretation thus may mean many different things. Do they believe the photo was too sharp or crisp? How about the brightness? Was it too glossy/shiny? Very hard to determine without asking a few questions. Kind of a shot in the dark using Lustre but maybe .... ?

Oct 15, 2016 at 05:19 PM
dennisgolfer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about team pics

I've never had a complaint about lustre.

Oct 15, 2016 at 06:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

glort
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question about team pics

" A couple of Parents...."

Out of how many?
I absolutely EXPECT complaints doing this sort of work. I mean, they are effing parents, as a group they are NEVER happy with anything really. Why would you expect to have 100% satisfaction rate with something subjective like Pictures?

Both my Kids played sport since they were old enough and now my daughter plays in seniour teams which are more fun than serious so I have years of experience of the parental mentality towards their children.

I once had a mother ring me and was hysterical I had ruined her 10 yo daughters chances of ever having a professional netball career because the photo I took of her was " Not good enough". She complained to the club Committee who rang me and apologised and said we expected this, we are so sorry, can we book you for next year now so we can put it on our schedule in advance?

You will go nuts trying to please everyone, especially when it comes to anything to do with their kids. And the worse thing is, the more you try to please everyone, the faster you will go backwards and end up with more parents whining.

I work on majority rule. If 9 or even 8 parents out of 10 think you did a great job and are happy, then the ones that aren't don't matter because they will be outvoted by the happy clients. And the reasonable ones also know the others are going to whinge and take no notice at all because they will always have a pattern of doing that.

By all means listen to your clients but whatever the hell you do, DO NOT try to make the rules for the exceptions. If you shot 100 kids and 95 parents were happy, You don't change what you do to try and get the other 5 on side. Stick with what the majority likes. The minute you try to please that 5, another 10 will be unhappy you changed something or you offered them what they wanted but not what they had in mind.

You cannot ever expect 100% satisfaction rate. It -may- happen once in a while but again, that's going to be an exception not a rule.
I do what I do and if anyone is not happy, Give the pics back, I'll give you your money back and it's all good.

I don't sweat the whining minority. I undermine their complaint with a refund and look after the people that were happy. To me, pleasing everyone is just unrealistic.
Even the suggestion of changing what you do or offer will upset some people because they were happy the way things were and don't even want to know about other options.

FWIW, I have done glossy and lustre prints depending on what paper i could get a deal on at the time. I only realised the other day I delivered both on the T&I I did a couple of months back. All the 8x12s were lustre and the 6x8's were gloss.
no one said a thing about it and I only realised when I did some sample prints the other day manually rather than with the pic package batches I have setup in PS that the printer settings needed to be changed.

While keeping clients happy is important, it's also important to be in control. I would suggest you pick a finish you are happy with and stick to it as what you do. If someone is unhappy, terribly sorry you didn't like what we did, here's your money back, hope you like them better next year when we do the exact same thing that the other 98% of parents were stoked with.

When they figure out they either take the perfectly good product they are given or go without, You'll find that satisfaction rate creeps up a point or 2 at least! :0)

Oct 15, 2016 at 09:58 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question about team pics

Luster has the connotation of being more professional and we use that primarily for teams and individuals.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:40 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question about team pics

Per usual, what Glort said.

I'd just offer than if a photo is going to be handled more than once or twice (carefully) glossy quickly becomes a muddy sea of fingerprints.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:48 AM
speakit101
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question about team pics

Wow thanks guys for all the awesome advice. You can't please everybody I'm noticing. It was 2 out of 27 parents. So I'll continue doing what I've been doing and you know now I think about it one of the parents who were complaining, her kid is on the team I just shot this past week and I see she ordered again this year. So she must not have been too upset..

Oct 16, 2016 at 03:30 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password