New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

ontime
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

Anyone else pick up a Pulse via their Kickstarter? Ordered mine a long while ago and they're now shipping.

https://alpinelaboratories.com/pages/pulse

Mainly bought this for automated exposure-ramped timelapses (for day-night transitions).

Oct 14, 2016 at 06:51 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

I have had one on order too but I think for the one trip coming in a week from now its not going to make it. this is what I ordered it for. oh well.

Edited on Oct 15, 2016 at 11:29 AM · View previous versions

Oct 15, 2016 at 07:32 AM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

That sucks man. They seemed to have a lot of the standard crowdsourced item manufacturing delays

sjms wrote:
I have had one on order to but I think for the one trip coming in a week from now its not going to make it. this is what I ordered it for. oh well.

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:28 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

yep even after I contacted them and getting that it should. its still a maybe. with my luck it will arrive the day I leave.

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:32 AM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

I bought mine for Canon, I wonder if it will magically work with my new X-T2. Obviously that is super unlikely. They have stated they have no plans to officially support anything other than Canon and Nikon cameras for which the SDK is available, sad.

Oct 17, 2016 at 02:51 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

it does support the panasonic GH4

it seems that it just went out and should be in my hands by Friday.

Oct 17, 2016 at 05:11 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

Mine arrived today - gonna futz around with it if I have time.

Oct 18, 2016 at 07:29 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

This thing is quite cool. It's a tad slow to communicate to the camera - might be my bluetooth connection. The carousel menus are at times very frustrating as settings don't always stick. They need to tweak those, for sure.

Intervalometer is great- automates some basic math you always have to do with a time lapse: total number of shots over the time period and expected video length given the total number of shots. Exposure ramping menu is also nice, you set start SS / finish SS and start ISO / finish ISO, delay (before ramping begins) and time duration of the ramping. It calculates the total EV difference between the start and the end of the ramping. So there's a bit of math you need to do here - e.g. from night to sunrise you'd need to know when astronomical twilight lands to begin ramping down the exposure, then when the sunrise is finished to end ramping. Also you'd need to know EV difference between night and sunrise for your frame. It's too bad there's no meter-based dynamic ramping.

Edited on Oct 20, 2016 at 12:38 PM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:03 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

I never got around to upgrading past supporting as planned so I missed this one.

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:47 AM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

Huh, check this out- basically pulse with more features, and more camera compatibility.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nerotrigger/miops-mobile-the-worlds-most-versatile-camera-remo

Of course, Pulse could implement these features via the app if they wanted.

Oct 20, 2016 at 02:59 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

there was a Chinese company at Photo Plus showing something similar too.

Oct 20, 2016 at 05:26 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

well mine did come today. unfortunately it did not come complete. the interface cable for the D5/D500 aka: DC0. was not included.

also I find support via email extremely tedious and unsatisfying.

Oct 20, 2016 at 06:26 PM
sorpa
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

First time I hear about pulse.
Could be considered an alternative to camranger?

Oct 21, 2016 at 07:44 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

Decided that the Pulse must go back. too much like work for proper cabling for the cameras I do have. not explained well. part their fault part my fault.

support via email (no phone) is tedious and unsatisfying. takes hours to overnight to get a simple question answered. tech support should be relatively available. theirs is not.

sent multiple emails to them between yesterday 10/20 and today 10/21 finally got back to me at almost 430PM today. and haven't heard from them since I answered that one almost immediately. I offered to call or be called by them. now we're into the weekend and I leave on Monday for 2 weeks.

long on promise short on overall performance

Oct 21, 2016 at 04:58 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

Mine is going back. After fooling around with it for awhile I realized that there was no way to control focus. Think about it.....the camera is sitting on a tripod 75 ft away, and I have to walk up to the camera to adjust focus rather than control it from my iPhone. That's just not going to work for me. There's no preview either.

Al

Nov 14, 2016 at 03:50 PM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

sjms wrote:
there was a Chinese company at Photo Plus showing something similar too.

The one you're referring to is Cambuddy Pro.

Just got my Pulse for review. The Cambuddy is similar but I feel it does more than Pulse. Cambuddy triggers when something sounds it or something passes in front of the laser. Pulse is more like Camranger and the like.

Nov 15, 2016 at 03:38 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pulse intervalometers now shipping

my pulse went back. didn't have time to deal with the minor issues. was going to try it out on a trip that came and went and none of the cords worked with my bodies. maybe some other time. it was an idea for me to use now in the past.

they have an incredibly long way to go when it comes to support. no phone and hours time difference was ask a question one day get an answer at the end of the next day. negative appeal. done with the "toys" for now.

Nov 15, 2016 at 03:45 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.