New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Photoshop CC vs Premiere elements for video editing

BennyR
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photoshop CC vs Premiere elements for video editing

You wouldn't normally find Photoshop vs anything for video editing so I thought I'd try here. I've been using Photoshop CC lately for some video work since I have it. I don't really want to spring for Premiere Pro at this point. How does the Elements version compare to Photoshop for video work? Does it offer additional features? Thank you.

Oct 14, 2016 at 05:44 PM
butchM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photoshop CC vs Premiere elements for video editing

It depends what you are editing video for.

While I have been using Photoshop since 1992 and am well aware of it's video editing capabilities, other than custom color correction/enhancement, Ps has little to offer when compared to a true NLE (Non Linear Editor) that can offer control over not only the video clips, transitions, text/titles and color correction/enhancement ... NLEs offer control over the audio portion as well.

Even something like iMove offers very robust capabilities when compared to Ps. It would certainly be in your best interest to download the trial versions of a couple of options and kick the tires.

I have worked trials of Premiere Pro in the past but not the Elements version. I much prefer Final Cut Pro X, it's a $299 one time fee and offers nearly everything even a professional video editor could want. Not to mention extremely user friendly. It also can use many of the same plugins/extensions that are available for PP.

Another option might be Sony, they offer an app but I can't recall the name. Again, very affordable.

Oct 14, 2016 at 07:10 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photoshop CC vs Premiere elements for video editing

I think the Sony app is called Vegas. It's been a while since I used any of the Final Cut versions, and never Elements, but I prefer Premiere for the more complete set of tonal correction tools built in, including very Photoshop like Curves and even a very effective and less complicated than Ps, Highlight/Shadow tool. Maybe Final has that now too, I don't now, but I don't think RGB curves ala Ps are there without additional plugins.

Oct 14, 2016 at 08:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photoshop CC vs Premiere elements for video editing

Peter Figen wrote:
I think the Sony app is called Vegas. It's been a while since I used any of the Final Cut versions, and never Elements, but I prefer Premiere for the more complete set of tonal correction tools built in, including very Photoshop like Curves and even a very effective and less complicated than Ps, Highlight/Shadow tool. Maybe Final has that now too, I don't now, but I don't think RGB curves ala Ps are there without additional plugins.

FPC X has decent color correction tools, but they are more cinematic/video centric in application rather than photographic focused. The tools are very capable, although for photographers going to video, they can be a bit overwhelming to grasp the the concept.

That said, there is a very capable plugin called Color Finale that is just awesome and much more intuitive for photographers. There is a $99 version that is quite capable and a newer Pro version ($149) that has many new tools and focuses on presets that can be applied to groups of clips and other subsets as needed ... making it easy if you re-visit a clip and alter the settings, it automatically updates the other clips in that group. CF also makes it quite easy to apply and customize LUTs for quick and easy application to get to a preferred starting point extremely fast.

While I didn't really dislike Premiere Pro, I really do prefer the magnetic timeline in FCP X and the price was a no-brainer compared to a lifetime of renting PP. Not to mention, if you are editing 1080p, FCP X can run extremely well on very modest hardware.

Oct 15, 2016 at 03:15 AM
John S. Hudson
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photoshop CC vs Premiere elements for video editing

I used Premiere Elements a lot in the past few years. At one point I purchased Sony Movie Studio Platinum for some better features and export options. Ultimately though, I long for something like Premiere Pro or Final Cut. Elements is pretty lacking for anything other than basic editing.

Oct 20, 2016 at 05:59 PM
John S. Hudson
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photoshop CC vs Premiere elements for video editing

I used Premiere Elements a lot in the past few years. At one point I purchased Sony Movie Studio Platinum for some better features and export options. Ultimately though, I long for something like Premiere Pro or Final Cut. Elements is pretty lacking for anything other than basic editing.

Oct 20, 2016 at 06:00 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password