Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Help with some RokiBowerYangConfusy lens differences?

JohanEickmeyer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with some RokiBowerYangConfusy lens differences?

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy one of the 8mm fisheye lenses from the Samyang mess of brands and models. There are like 6 different "brand" names for the 8mm lens, and some are different in that they have a red ring instead of a gold ring.

Does anyone know what the differences are? From what I can tell, the red ring ones allow the lens hood to be taken off, presumably to allow for a full frame image circle?

Which one would be the best lens that is the highest quality and most up to date?

The Rokinon HD8M-C 8mm f/3.5 HD Fisheye Lens with Removeable Hood for Canon DSLR 8-8mm, Fixed-Non-Zoom Lens on Amazon is a bit cheaper than the Samyang SYHD8M-C 8mm f/3.5 HD Lens with Removable Hood for Canon by $15. Are they the same lens with just a different brand logo on them?

I swear, no other lens manufacturer manages to create such mind bleeding confusion about their lens models. Just stick to one brand name and use a II, III, IV and so on to make things very clear which is the latest version.

Any help would be very welcome! Thanks!

Oct 14, 2016 at 05:08 PM
JohanEickmeyer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with some RokiBowerYangConfusy lens differences?

OK, so I think I may have it figured out. The Samyang red ring one with the HD in the name is the latest and best one. There is also a II on the lens if I look at product images, which is not mentioned in the text on any website.

Looks like quite a great lens! Decently sharp stopped down and stereographic projection which I don't think any other lens has that can be mounted to a Canon camera. Also has really great flare control. Pretty sweet for $220 USD.

Oct 14, 2016 at 06:36 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password