Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

gordorad
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

I see a price drop now on the Macbook Air 13.3. The I5 1.6 processor, 256SSD and 4gb.

wondering if anyone uses this to simple fast edits with PM and LR? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Oct 14, 2016 at 01:34 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

I use one for smaller volume assignments ... though with 8GB RAM and it does ok. Keep in mind I'm shooting 20MP NEF ... if you are shooting larger file size YMMV ... greatly.

For me, the throughput because of the internal SSD is quite good ... I also use a bus powered external Thunderbolt SSD which makes backups/transfers quite speedy as well.

Oct 14, 2016 at 02:52 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

I run a 1.3 gig i5 with 4 gig of ram (256 hd)11" and it runs LR plenty well enough . also handles what I need it to do in PS (which I admit isn't a huge amount) .
would I use it as my sole computer ? No , but it acts like a very decent out and about tool when I can't be near my iMac

Oct 14, 2016 at 03:26 PM
lukejc1

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

I've used my wife's macbook air for light editing and it worked out well. It was a bit sluggish but not too bad.

Oct 14, 2016 at 04:43 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

get 8G

Oct 14, 2016 at 05:10 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

howardm4 wrote:
get 8G

just looking at the 13" prices on apple.com it looks like the Air 13" now comes with 8gig as standard . only the base 11" has 4gig .

Oct 14, 2016 at 05:21 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

ah. wehn I got mine, I think it was 4G std.

I wouldn't want to endlessly PS/LR edit on it but it's more than fine for prelim work.

Oct 14, 2016 at 05:27 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

yeah mine's a couple of years old 11" with 'only' 4 gig . does a very decent job. before i got it (for a good price used) I had a Surface pro (v1) which supposedly had a higher spec but also had 4gig . that thing would reguarly crash running lightroom .

Also my wife has a 13" lenovo yoga of the same vintage as the Air and that struggles to handle LR .

only thing about the Air as a new purchase is the 13" pro isnt that much more cost . it does only come with a 128gig SSD though (but still 8gig) .

and then there's the macbook . yes some will say its underpowered and over priced but actually the latest one is very good .

Oct 14, 2016 at 08:00 PM
gordorad
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

All I would be using for is Photomechanic, very little editing in LR, (shadows and highlights mostly), and sending.

Oct 14, 2016 at 08:19 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

The Surface Book or Surface Pro 4 is beating Apple in the laptop arena as of late and it looks like it will be getting more competitive as time goes on. This can only be seen as a good thing for the end user, the consumer. I have a Surface Pro 4 with 256 GB, 8 GB and an i7 processor and the best thing about it is the ability to draw on anything on the screen. Anything!. I can save web pages and draw anything I want on them, and if you use Edge as a browser, you can draw on the webpage any time you want.

I love my SP4 and I find more reasons to use it over my desktop just for the drawing and editing abilities. The SP4 is as big as a clipboard and the lightest,~thinnest laptop that converts to a tablet out there.
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/182166/20161013/is-macbook-pro-2016-falling-behind-surface-book-2-top-4-reasons-why-the-microsoft-notebook-is-better.htm

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

bootster wrote:
The Surface Book or Surface Pro 4 is beating Apple in the laptop arena as of late and it looks like it will be getting more competitive as time goes on.

There is no question about that. Just about everything in the laptop world is beating Apple right now, because Apple has been (basically) ignoring their laptops. Rumor has it that will change this month when Apple unveils new MacBooks, so I would wait before pulling the trigger on an Air. The Air is a decent enough machine, but the screen is horrible by modern standards... Surface Book and Surface 4 are far superior in this and just about every other respect right now. If you want MacOS, wait. If you want a nice computer, get a Surface, or maybe a VAIO.

Arka C.

Oct 15, 2016 at 08:53 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

A VAIO? What is this, 2009?

Oct 15, 2016 at 12:12 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

Gordo, I'm currently using the MBA mid 2012, 2 GHz i7, 8Gb for pro soccer. PM mainly and some LR. PM works great but LR gets dodgy especially if you are exporting to jpgs around 100 shots to then be sent. Editing can bog down a bit, its noticeable enough to become irritating having slight delays. I found that cropping in PM is easier and faster than in LR. Exporting is a dog and takes forever. BTW, I export to 990 pixels on the long side.

While I'm waiting for the next MBPro to come out I have stumbled across a temporary solution. Import and create smart previews (SP), then editing becomes much improved BUTTTT, before exporting rename the folder they are in and LR is forced to use the SP to generate the jpgs. The jpgs appear to be of decent quality to send out and the exporting time is reduced in HALF.

JMTC

Matt

Oct 15, 2016 at 01:31 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

IMHO, no. Of course, it depends on what you mean by "fast." I have an 11" with 8GB RAM. Other than minor Lr adjustment, just not enough horsepower. YMMV

Robert

Oct 15, 2016 at 03:18 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

Paul Mo wrote:
A VAIO? What is this, 2009?

You should do some research before posting snarky but ill-informed remarks.

https://www.cnet.com/products/vaio-z-canvas/review/

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:09 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

Arka wrote:

Why? This is the internet? What were you wanting and expecting, despite all odd?

You pontifications were not pedestaled on a better base by much, Arka. I didn't see any quantifiable statements by you, no tests results - merely personal opinion dressed up as some sort of sage knowledge. Quite a bit like Paul Mo's quick retort - minus the minor pomposity. Normally your high standards and well honed words are unimpeachable. What's up?

But to give my opinion as to the OP's question; it is pretty obvious by what he has written that he is looking for acceptable performance, performance that is not going to make him want to pull his hair out, and thus to look towards the highest performance in class, right now, is missing the point of his inquiry.

I would guess that the machine will do just fine. It's at a price which makes it pretty replaceable in a short time and with apples high value retention and very safe experiment. Should it not be up to "quick edits" then he cam probably sell it at about a $75 dollar loss.

Go for it, I say. If you are looking for a machine for "quick edits" this one should deliver well "with slow edits of the light sort". And it travels well. AND ... one needs not suffer the surfaces lack of tactile quality, nor Microsoft's deadly automatic updates.

Oct 23, 2016 at 04:00 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

Pavel wrote:
Why? This is the internet? What were you wanting and expecting, despite all odd?

You pontifications were not pedestaled on a better base by much, Arka. I didn't see any quantifiable statements by you, no tests results - merely personal opinion dressed up as some sort of sage knowledge. Quite a bit like Paul Mo's quick retort - minus the minor pomposity. Normally your high standards and well honed words are unimpeachable. What's up?

But to give my opinion as to the OP's question; it is pretty obvious by what he has written that he is looking for acceptable performance, performance that
...Show more

Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed? "Pontifications were not pedestaled on a better base by much?" Wow...

Look, everything I write is my opinion unless it's clearly an objective fact And despite my apparently failed effort to dress up my personal opinion as "sage knowledge," people can (1) parse between "personal opinion dressed up as sage knowledge" and "quantifiable statements," (2) do their own quantification or research as warranted, and (3) establish for themselves whether the author of the remarks is a "sage," dimwit, or something in between.

My own "personal opinion dressed up as sage knowledge" is based on firsthand use of the MacBook Air, VAIO zCanvas, and Surface Book 4 for art-making. Forgive me for not offering something more "quantifiable," but I'm not obliged to offer a research article and bibliography to support every personal opinion I post. There are lots of benchmarking and review sites out there that can offer better information than I if you want to learn something "quantifiable." (e.g., cNet, PCWorld, Engadget). Heck, even Amazon's user reviews are a decent place to start.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:22 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

yes, I think I did get get a burr up somewhere, "triggered" by your tone to Paul, though perhaps I took it even further, and too far. You are right that all posts here are opinions, unless one uses statistics (and then the interpretation of those really leads to little but opinion anyways) I'll try to resist in future, Arka. Looking at it now, it looks worse than i had intended.

The OP was however looking for the minimum useable in machines. I thought you'd be too nice to foist a Vaio on someone. What's the OP ever done to you?!

Oct 24, 2016 at 05:15 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Macbook Air for fast editing....good choice?

Arka wrote:

Sorry, thought you'd get it without the, now seemingly compulsory, smiley. Locally VAIO crowded the shelves with their once garish designs and disappeared overnight - just humour.

Oct 25, 2016 at 03:00 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password