Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · How to shoot multiple frames of the same pose properly fo...

Brea
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to shoot multiple frames of the same pose properly for focus?

How do I do it?

One shot AF, continous mode, hold the shutter down? OR
One shot AF, focus, snap frame, REFOCUS, snap frame?

Oct 14, 2016 at 01:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to shoot multiple frames of the same pose properly for focus?

What camera ?

Most cameras allow you to separate focus-activation from exposure-setting and shutter-snapping, and so there are many ways to do it. The "best way" is usually based on preference, and sometimes can be affected by the nature of the subject that you're shooting.

For a stationary portrait, using a tripod, I'd use LiveView manual focus. I might even set it up to control shooting from my phone (DSLR Controller) or from a notebook (EOS Utility), in order to get the most accurate focusing; either using manual focus or using the EOS Utility single-step AF "nudge".

Edited on Oct 14, 2016 at 02:36 PM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2016 at 02:21 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to shoot multiple frames of the same pose properly for focus?

Servo AF and continuous shooting should do it (just press half way to focus then hold it down to shoot). Servo AF will compensate for any tiny movements on your and/or the model's part. Single point AF as well, on the eye or wherever you want.

Edited on Oct 14, 2016 at 02:38 PM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2016 at 02:36 PM
Brea
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to shoot multiple frames of the same pose properly for focus?

jcolwell wrote:
What camera ?

Most cameras allow you to separate focus-activation from exposure-setting and shutter-snapping, and so there are many ways to do it. The "best way" is usually based on preference, and sometimes can be affected by the nature of the subject that you're shooting.

For a stationary portrait, using a tripod, I'd use LiveView manual focus. I might even set it up to control shooting from my phone (DSLR Controller) or from a notebook (EOS Utility), in order to get the most accurate focusing; either using manual focus or using the EOS Utility single-step AF stepping.

Canon 5D mark iii
And I dont use Liveview nor manual focus, I am shooting on location quickly usually
I shoot low aperture so I take multiple snaps to ensure focus nails on
I was wondering the proper way to do it, my understanding is that if i dont refocus and just use continuous if the initial focus is off the rest of the frames will be too

Oct 14, 2016 at 02:36 PM
Brea
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to shoot multiple frames of the same pose properly for focus?

CanadaMark wrote:
Servo and CH continuous shooting should do it (just press half way to focus then hold it down to shoot). Servo will compensate for any tiny movements on your and/or the model's part. Single point AF as well, on the eye or wherever you want.

Thanks, this method doesn't work for slight recompose right? I usually use an outer cross type point and then recompose a bit.

Oct 14, 2016 at 02:38 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to shoot multiple frames of the same pose properly for focus?

Brea wrote:
...if i dont refocus and just use continuous...

You mean "continuous drive mode", I figure. I'd use both AI Servo continuous AF and continuous drive mode, with the centre AF point on the target. I wouldn't necessarily always hold down the AF button; I would likely "pump it" with a couple of brief presses once in a while, if continuous AI Servo was too jittery.

Oct 14, 2016 at 02:42 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to shoot multiple frames of the same pose properly for focus?

Brea wrote:
Thanks, this method doesn't work for slight recompose right? I usually use an outer cross type point and then recompose a bit.

Sorry I edited it with Canon terminology, I had Nikon terms in there haha. But same thing applies.

That's right, you can't be recomposing, focusing continuously, and shooting all at the same time while reliably keeping the AF point in the same spot with Canon. If you were physically moving around I guess you could.

If you lock the focus, what you describe will work (you can recompose and shoot continuously), but if there is any movement at all either from you or the model it can ruin the focus especially with wide apertures.

Oct 14, 2016 at 02:44 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to shoot multiple frames of the same pose properly for focus?

What are you shooting?

Mark

Oct 14, 2016 at 02:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Brea
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to shoot multiple frames of the same pose properly for focus?

Ziffl3 wrote:
What are you shooting?

Mark

Just models, nothing special

Oct 14, 2016 at 03:09 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to shoot multiple frames of the same pose properly for focus?

Why not just learn to use the camera and focus manually?

Decades of using SLR's and View Cameras and focusing was not a real problem.

Shooting Pro Football, auto racing, tennis, wrestling and few out of focus images even with 600 f/4 lenses. Practice and learn how the stuff works.

Portraits with a fast aperture lens is not that damn difficult.

Oct 14, 2016 at 03:12 PM
Brea
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to shoot multiple frames of the same pose properly for focus?

Many of my shoots are quick, on the go type of things
Manual focusing would seriously cut the # of shots I need to obtain

Oct 14, 2016 at 03:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to shoot multiple frames of the same pose properly for focus?

Cut the # of shots ...

That could cut both ways.

Do you mean a predetermined shot set ... or your keeper rate is low and spray/ pray tactics to come away with sufficient keepers?

Can you clarify on the go quick @ models?

Brea wrote:
Many of my shoots are quick, on the go type of things
Manual focusing would seriously cut the # of shots I need to obtain

Oct 14, 2016 at 05:14 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to shoot multiple frames of the same pose properly for focus?

A 5Diii should get the Modeling job done without spraying unnecessary amounts of files. I have used that camera in studio environments. I set the AF points to select cross type, switch to vertical orientation, set AI servo single point and keep aiming for the eyes of the models. When in a studio with lower continuous lighting, try using a fast lens like a 70-200/2.8, 85/1.8 no f/4 lenses to make it easy on your AF system. Outdoor shots daylight? No problem for f/4 lenses and this camera.

Ralph

Oct 14, 2016 at 09:50 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How to shoot multiple frames of the same pose properly for focus?

Brea wrote:
How do I do it?

One shot AF, continous mode, hold the shutter down? OR
One shot AF, focus, snap frame, REFOCUS, snap frame?

I would use back button focus and one-shot AF.

EBH

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:59 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How to shoot multiple frames of the same pose properly for focus?

Honestly go look up back button focusing.

Focus on the shutter is a n00b setting

Oct 15, 2016 at 03:31 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How to shoot multiple frames of the same pose properly for focus?

Oh yes BBF. Forgot to mention that. I've been using BBF exclusively for so long that I keep forgetting it's not the camera's default setting.

Oct 15, 2016 at 04:09 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password