Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Stadium Light Flicker

shuttlemanfl

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stadium Light Flicker

Right now I'm spoiled with my 7D Mrk II because of the antiflicker mode which helps reduce the amount of photos taken with the ugly brown coloration that happen due to light "flicker" from stadium light (especially at the high school level). However, what does someone do if they don't have a camera that assists with this issue? Does anyone know a rule of thumb or trick for setting up a camera to reduce the occurrence of off color shots? I use to shoot with a 70D and I know I had the problem but my wife has been using it recently and it really seems worse than before. It seems like she cant even get one shot with out a brown stripe of some sort in the shot.

Thoughts?

Oct 14, 2016 at 01:30 PM
DaveSPictures

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stadium Light Flicker

I just picked up a 7D2 which is my first camera with anti-flicker function. I personally don't like it because the camera waits to take a picture based on the light, not the peak action in my viewfinder. The way to deal with it is to assume that the light will always be at metered exposure or worse, never more light. So shoot RAW and overexpose slightly. do a search for "ETTR" (exposing to the right). this will help a bit with noise too. I find that if I get the skin tone close to correct the rest of the scene will just be that way. You will need lightroom, photoshop, or some other software to correct the off-color areas of the scene.

Oct 14, 2016 at 06:37 PM
schlotz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stadium Light Flicker

Bottom line, without anti-flicker mode you are left to adjust in PP, so shoot in raw. There really is no rule of thumb. Lights are different and age, so they change. Normally you can adjust the temp and tint sliders in LR to get a reasonable solution that is acceptable but most likely not perfect.

BTW: even with anti-flicker on (which reduces the FPS), I've seen some series of shots (ref: 1DX2) with color variation in them. So flicker control isn't a silver bullet solution.

Matt

Oct 14, 2016 at 07:01 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password