Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Canon users with 85 Otus or Milvus?

dimitris77
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon users with 85 Otus or Milvus?

Another vote for the Milvus. I own one and it really rocks. Keep in mind I use it on a 1DsmkIII which has a huge viewfinder and also takes a split image focusing screen. I used to own the 85L and the Milvus is just plain better optically. The Milvus wont AF however.

Oct 15, 2016 at 03:19 AM
Lightpilgrim

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon users with 85 Otus or Milvus?

If I only knew that Canon is going to release the new 85L in the next 1-2 years, I would patiently wait.

Oct 15, 2016 at 09:10 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon users with 85 Otus or Milvus?

Lightpilgrim wrote:
If I only knew that Canon is going to release the new 85L in the next 1-2 years, I would patiently wait.

Samyang is soon releasing 85 f/1.2 Premium for EF mount. If you want the f/1.2 but and you clearly don't mind MF, it might be worth checking out and no doubt it'll be a fraction the price of even Milvus.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:03 AM
leica_f64

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon users with 85 Otus or Milvus?

garyvot wrote:
A lot of comments advocating the use of manual focus lenses. The problem is that modern DSLRs have horrible viewfinders for manual focus.

I grew up in the film era and worked as a photojournalist for years using manual focus cameras. I'm well acquainted with how to nail focus with manual gear. But the focusing screens in autofocus cameras are designed to improve brightness. They are ineffective at representing the focus effects of apertures wider than f/2.8 or so. OP, this is why you have struggled so much using your 5D Mark III. The Canon 5D Mark II and 6D
...Show more

I disagree with your last statement. I've used the Otus 85mm for well over a year without any special screens on a 1DX and 5DSr. I shoot street, portrait and certain sport shots with it. Sure it's not as fast as an auto focus but there are ways to speed things up and not to have to rely on the screen image. I also find it more accurate as I'm selecting the focus point in each shoot. I shoot spot center focus and rely on the viewfinder red conformation light. Even with manual focus lenses this is a quick process even if I have to slightly recompose the shot.

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

garyvot
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon users with 85 Otus or Milvus?

leica_f64 wrote:
I disagree with your last statement. I've used the Otus 85mm for well over a year without any special screens on a 1DX and 5DSr. I shoot street, portrait and certain sport shots with it. Sure it's not as fast as an auto focus but there are ways to speed things up and not to have to rely on the screen image. I also find it more accurate as I'm selecting the focus point in each shoot. I shoot spot center focus and rely on the viewfinder red conformation light. Even with manual focus lenses this is a quick process
...Show more

If AF confirmation works for you, that's great. I think the fact that you are using newer cameras with better AF systems helps.

My comment would have been better phrased to say that it is literally impossible to judge precise focus with fast lenses using the stock focusing screens in most AF cameras... Of course, if you can make use of AF confirmation, that can aid in achieving correct focus regardless of the screen.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:20 AM
Lightpilgrim

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon users with 85 Otus or Milvus?

In my opinion it is not fair to say that 30 years ago people were using MF and so it should be no problem today. That is not entirely correct. These are different system. Yes, you are using MF lenses on Leica, but the whole system is designed for MF. In my case with 5D MKIII, the system is not designed for fast focusing with MF lenses especially at f1.2 and f1.4 - we are talking precise nailing of the focus to have eyes in focus especially when people are not standing still. I am talking my personal experience - I failed miserably to try to learn how to use Zeiss f1.4 with my 5D MKIII. I was trying and trying and trying and just gave up because I found no way for me to learn how to consistently have eyes in focus for portraiture. I openly admit, it could be entirely my fault and inability to do it. But, I did not manage to learn how to have eyes in focus when people move. Never had this issue with AF lenses. Also, in most cases when I saw reviews of Milvus and Otus, 80% of photographs from reviews were still objects even though the reviewer was referring to the lens as the ultimate portrait one. This also tells me that it is hard to do it with people with current Canon bodies at least. All of this tells me might conclude that it is not a second nature....
On the other hand, I am a massive fan of Zeiss in terms if IQ, it is exceptional!!!

Oct 16, 2016 at 06:52 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon users with 85 Otus or Milvus?

Lightpilgrim wrote:
Hello all,

I am looking for a very bright 85 mm lens and I would most probably go for the 85L II had it not been an old design with many flaws compared to recent Zeiss offerings. I know Sigma is coming, but I am likely to skip it. I have a Sigma 35 Art and I know what it can and cannot do, I just to not want to have any issues with the most important lens for me, the 85 mm.

Optically, Otus is just a total awesomeness, something to dream about. I hear Milvus is super close. However, most
...Show more

I suspect the Milvus is every bit as sharp, but that's only a small part of the Otus lenses. There is nothing like it for shooting in bright backlight conditions. No flare, nothing.

Edited on Oct 18, 2016 at 05:18 AM · View previous versions

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:44 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon users with 85 Otus or Milvus?

garyvot wrote:
If AF confirmation works for you, that's great. I think the fact that you are using newer cameras with better AF systems helps.

My comment would have been better phrased to say that it is literally impossible to judge precise focus with fast lenses using the stock focusing screens in most AF cameras... Of course, if you can make use of AF confirmation, that can aid in achieving correct focus regardless of the screen.

I have no issues using focus confirmation on my 1Ds III with Zeiss MF lenses. The 1Ds III and 1D IV are my only cameras that l can use different focus screens.

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:09 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password