New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

A Couple of Friends

ChaseD

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Couple of Friends

Some of my close friends thought that it would be fun to go out and have some pictures taken. Needing all of the experience I can get, I agreed to go with them. I'm pretty new to photography, and am more or less self taught by means of the internet. Here are a few what I consider of my better shots. I would love to hear any basic pointers and critiques that you guys have on both general photography guide lines, as well as editing. I've found that one of the best ways to learn is trial by fire. All shot with a D7200, 50mm 1.8g, f1.8, 1/60 sec, ISO 100. If this is not the correct place to ask for critiques, please let me know.

Thanks,
Chase

Oct 14, 2016 at 03:59 AM
Vcook
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Couple of Friends

These are all soft. Either you dont have the technique to shoot at that low of a shutter speed, your lens needs fine tuning, or your copy of the 50mm 1.8g is softer wide open then mine.

To be fair I rarely shoot that lens wide open as it's a little too soft for my liking at 1.8, but by 2.8 it's VERY sharp.

Oct 14, 2016 at 01:43 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Couple of Friends

I took this of my son last week with the 50mm 1.8g @ F1.8. probably a similar distance from him as your picture 2. You can see a significant difference in sharpness.

Oct 14, 2016 at 01:53 PM
ChaseD

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Couple of Friends

Absolutely can tell the sharpness difference on your picture. Aside from not shooting at 1.8, what would be some good habits to get in to in terms of technique? I'll have to do some research on lens tuning. Thanks!

Oct 14, 2016 at 06:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Vcook
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Couple of Friends

1/60s is a slow shutter speed at 50mm unless you have strong technique. Raise your iso until you're in a shutter speed range that you can consistently shoot sharp at, it's different for everyone. I think I'd rarely ever shoot a couple at f1.8 either, too narrow a depth of field to get them both consistently in focus(unless they're farther away). Focus on the lead eye.

Once you're consistently getting sharp images you can begin work on composition and processing. As it stands even if these were the best posed and best processed images in the world they'd wouldn't be keepers for me as they are too soft.

Oct 14, 2016 at 06:45 PM
ChaseD

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Couple of Friends

Thank you very much for the pointers! I took your advice and fine tuned the lens. It was a little bit out of whack, and tuning it seemed to help, then I played with a higher aperture, MUCH sharper images.

Oct 14, 2016 at 08:11 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Couple of Friends

looking at your photos again almost nothing is in focus, i think this is motion blur. Be sure to up your shutter speed for testing too. Start at 1/200s to compare. Surely you can come down a little but you should be able to hold steady for a 1/200s shutter speed on a 50mm lens.

Oct 14, 2016 at 08:59 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password