Your comments and critiques welcome.
Steve

Loading The Crane Counter Weights

Oct 13, 2016 at 08:30 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Loading The Crane Counter Weights

Nice perspective with this one. It needs a heavy cw rotation though. I'd say something close to 30 deg.

Dave

Oct 13, 2016 at 09:57 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Loading The Crane Counter Weights

Love the perspective! Not sure I understand Dave's comment about the rotation. But I do see how everyone is tilted, leaning to the left. In this case I think it adds the dynamic tension and perspective at the expense of a more realistic documentation. To "correct" this in post would require changing the verticals I think, more than rotation. Or more likely applying some skew adjustment.
Scott

Oct 14, 2016 at 07:29 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Loading The Crane Counter Weights

sbeme wrote:
Love the perspective! Not sure I understand Dave's comment about the rotation. But I do see how everyone is tilted, leaning to the left. In this case I think it adds the dynamic tension and perspective at the expense of a more realistic documentation. To "correct" this in post would require changing the verticals I think, more than rotation. Or more likely applying some skew adjustment.
Scott

Thanks Dave and Scott for your comments. I shot this from my 14th floor apartment. A crane outside on the street was hoisting equipment to the roof of the building on the other side. This photo was taken when they were disassembling the crane. There was no way for me to change perspective to get a different angle.

I'll play with the rotation tonight in photoshop and see if I like it better rotated to a different angle.

Steve

Oct 14, 2016 at 07:42 AM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Loading The Crane Counter Weights

It's always fun to watch those cranes go up and down.

Oct 14, 2016 at 08:01 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Loading The Crane Counter Weights

sbeme wrote:
Scott

I was off by 2 deg. It was only 28 degrees actually.

I understand what you are saying Scott and maybe I'm just too hung up on the documentary thing.
But... I have seen a person killed (crushed into nothing more than jello) when a crane load was lifted off center. When I first viewed this, that was the very first thing that struck me and brought back bad memories. The load is clearly centered properly but the tilt of the composition makes me cringe.

If dynamic tension is the goal here I'd say this rates a 10 on my richter scale.

And just to reiterate, I really like this shot for the perspective you used here Steve. I think this is a great shot but the tilt just "kills it" for me personally.

Dave

Oct 14, 2016 at 09:18 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Loading The Crane Counter Weights

lighthound wrote:
I was off by 2 deg. It was only 28 degrees actually.

I understand what you are saying Scott and maybe I'm just too hung up on the documentary thing.
But... I have seen a person killed (crushed into nothing more than jello) when a crane load was lifted off center. When I first viewed this, that was the very first thing that struck me and brought back bad memories. The load is clearly centered properly but the tilt of the composition makes me cringe.

If dynamic tension is the goal here I'd say this rates a 10 on my
...Show more

Sorry you had to see that. Thanks for the illustration with the crop.

Steve

Oct 14, 2016 at 09:35 AM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Loading The Crane Counter Weights

I don't mind the "tilt" at all. Actually, you've squared up the edges of the truck, and I don't see anything in the composition that would indicate it should be oriented "properly."

Oct 14, 2016 at 05:04 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.