Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

Steve Park
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

Just moved to Clatskanie, Oregon, roughly half way between Portland and Astoria along the Columbia River.

I've tried to look for some wildlife refugee area, but not much luck. Can anyone suggest any wildlife(migrating waterfowls and sort) viewing/photographing area not too far(within 75-100 miles) from this area? I've seen some Ospreys(very close) and a couple of Bald Eagles, some geese and ducks, but nothing to talk about. If anyone would like to tag me along their wildlife viewing, that'll be great. Thanks for your suggestion and help.

Steve

Oct 13, 2016 at 06:47 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

Welcome to Oregon! I'm further south in Eugene, but I've had good luck at Jackson Bottom in Hillsboro. There are quite a few spots in and around Portland as well, you could start by looking here. Check out the Oregon Coast Birding Trail as well. If you are willing to make a long weekend trip Klamath Falls/Tule Lake NWR is spectacular.

Heron

Oct 13, 2016 at 09:32 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

Thanks for the heads up, Heron(is this your real name?)

I'll check out the Jackson Bottom ASAP. I've been to Klamath Falls area many times when I was in No CA. Great place to watch grebes and bald eagle. Oregon Coast is a place I'll need to frequent for birds and landscape.

Any place in Portland area? I see many islands on Columbia River on the way to Portland from north, look like great wildlife areas if access is not a problem. Thanks again.

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:14 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

Yeah that is my given name (hippy parents ). Did you click on the link in my first post (the word 'here')? It should take you to Audubon Society of Portland list of birding spots. I've seen shots on here from Oak Bottoms, Mt. Tabor, Sauvie Island but never been to any of them myself.

Heron

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:51 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

Oh, I replied even before clicking the HERE link, .
I wish there's a couple more bridges over on Columbia River. One in Astoria, then the Lewis and Clark bridge in Longview, then down in Portland, too far in between :-(
Thanks

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:57 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

Looks like "Sauvie Island Wildlife Area" is the one largest & closest for me. But still over an hour's drive from where I live.

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:10 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

You're just down the road from the last Ferry on the Lower Columbia, looks like it runs hourly every day.

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:59 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

Close-to-home birding may be tough for you. Here's info on all Oregon NWRs and ODFW refuges:
https://www.fws.gov/refuges/refugelocatormaps/oregon.html
https://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/ByState.cfm?state=OR
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/visitors/wildlife.asp

In addition, the Ridgefield, WA NWR might make a good overnighter for you.

I've stayed at Stiletz Bay several times and there are often bald eagles along with photogenic seals in the bay.

You might also ask locals. I live in Central Oregon and it's not unusual to have to drive an hour or more for birding, depending on what I'm looking for, the season, and the year's particular conditions. There are a number of rookeries along the coast, but you may need to travel a bit to get to them, which can be a challenge in the tourist season.

Oct 14, 2016 at 01:00 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

Driving an hour or so is the norm, I suppose. I'll have to research further on Wildlife areas along the Columbia River between Portland and Longview. There got to be some easy access there other than by boat.
Still pretty new here, time will tell.

Thanks for your advice.

Oct 14, 2016 at 07:14 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

Speaking of boats: have you considered buying a kayak for near-shore birding? Some of my best waterfowl images have been taken from my Hobie kayak. Hobies are stable and their pedal propulsion mechanism + watertight hold at my feet are perfect for photography. I've only used it on lakes so far (remember: Central Oregon), but I've spoken to people who kayak along the ocean shoreline shallows.

Oct 14, 2016 at 08:13 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

I'm afraid of water . . .

Oct 14, 2016 at 09:21 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

This is a great spot, but by no means that close. would be a nice way to explore some of Oregon though. That area is really something else!

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:04 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

Dustin Gent wrote:
This is a great spot, but by no means that close. would be a nice way to explore some of Oregon though. That area is really something else!

Thanks for the reminder, Dustin.
I'm aware of this Malheur NWR, but at 370 miles away, at least 7hrs of driving, it'll be no more than an annual visit. BTW, what's the best time to visit there to pick the best time?

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:44 PM
Tri Tran
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

Ridgefield is your best bet, not too far. Consider overnight trip to catch early morning and late evening critters.

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:47 AM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

Thanks for the post, Tran.
Ridgefield NWR is about 60miles, a little over an hour drive away from me. Not very close, but not too far either. It was in my short list of wildlife areas nearby.

BTW, what do you mean by "overnighter"? I doubt you're saying stay inside of gate once it's locked. I understand they have automated gate, open at sunrise and close at sunset. I once was locked inside of a NWR, not very pleasant experience.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:13 AM
Tri Tran
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

I meant to say stay at a hotel or camp site nearby, lol. They do have a gate if I remember correctly.

Oct 28, 2016 at 01:49 AM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wildlife photographing in Northern Oregon?

Not wildlife, but very wild: when the November storm waves come across the Pacific and crash onto the sloping rock shore at Shore Acres (near Cape Arago), the effect is awesome. The surf roars high above the top of the cliff. If you photograph there, be sure to get a view with something like the fir trees for scale. It is a long drive from where you are, but it is worth it. This is one of nature's great spectacles.

If you drive the coast route, you will probably see elk herds at Reedsport, and birds in the coastal marshes. At this time of year, there are also the colorful mushrooms in the spruce/fir forests.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:10 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.