Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · No AA mod for the 80D from Canon ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · No AA mod for the 80D from Canon ...

New SDQ ... not familiar.

Oct 16, 2016 at 06:44 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · No AA mod for the 80D from Canon ...

RustyBug wrote:
I appreciate the appeal to authority:

But, he who seems to know a bit about "sharpness" (Digilloyd) ... to which I'll add "acutance" ... also wrote an article on the removal of the AA filter as performed by the author of the referenced article. In THAT article ... well, let's just say that you might want to read it for yourself, also.
HINT: Some might suggest that one authority is actually confirming the other authority on the matter.

But, here is an excerpt from Digilloyd:
https://diglloyd.com/blog/2010/20100121_5-MaxMaxD700HR.html
NOTE: You may have to actually press the "toggle" button if the mouse-over function doesn't work in your
...Show more

I was unable to find his review of a Zeiss lens on an AA-less camera where fine white tree branches against a black background were covered with colour noise from the lack of AA because the size of the twigs was similar to the pixel size and the lens wasn't limiting . He also had some ugly moiré examples from AA-less sensors. He understands the pluses and minuses of AA filters and his comment on the deconvolution "pretty amazing really" was the main point of the post Also, AA filters are designed to make the 4 sharp images land on the corners of a square with a side of ~1 pixel, so their thickness varies with pixel density - and the need for AA goes down as pixel density increases because lens and diffraction ;limitations do its job

Oct 16, 2016 at 06:48 PM
danski0224
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · No AA mod for the 80D from Canon ...

RustyBug wrote:
New SDQ ... not familiar.

The new mirrorless DSLR from Sigma. It has the Quattro sensor, the SD1M has the Merrill sensor (and I believe that it's been discontinued).

Those are both APS-C.

There's supposed to be an APS-H version of the SDQ coming "soon".

Oct 16, 2016 at 06:56 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · No AA mod for the 80D from Canon ...

AJSJones wrote:
I was unable to find his review of a Zeiss lens on an AA-less camera where fine white tree branches against a black background were covered with colour noise from the lack of AA because the size of the twigs was similar to the pixel size and the lens wasn't limiting . He also had some ugly moiré examples from AA-less sensors. He understands the pluses and minuses of AA filters and his comment on the deconvolution "pretty amazing really" was the main point of the post Also, AA filters are designed to make the 4 sharp images land
...Show more

+ 1 @ understanding the "pluses and minsues". I've always been aware that it cuts both ways and think I have a pretty good understanding of the issues involved. I've never said it wasn't without it's issues. Just that it has never been an issue for me.

+1 @ pixel density effects the need for AA ... and the 80D is pretty dense @ 22% more dense than the 5DsR
http://www.digicamdb.com/compare/canon_eos-80d-vs-canon_eos-5ds-r/

I figure if I was good with the naked AA SLR/C ... I can't imagine how the 80D could possible be more troublesome for naked AA shooting with a density difference of nearly 400% (4X).

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:01 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.