Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · AD360II with Umbrellas and Wescott Rapidbox?

Harold St
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · AD360II with Umbrellas and Wescott Rapidbox?

I am thinking about upgrading my flashes and want to see whether I can and should keep some of what I have. I am a hobbyist and shoot 90+% outdoors on location, mostly individuals and small groups/families.

I currently use Speedlights (2 Canon 550EX, 1 Canon 580EX) and use Yonguo ETTL triggers and have CP-E4 packs. For modifiers I often use 43" shoot through umbrellas and I also have 26" Wescott Rapidbox that I use for individuals.

What I am trying to improve: I'd like to get more power for daytime shots and to be able to light larger groups more evenly. Also, I feel like it the setup I have is a bit clumsy with the speedlights mounted on triggers mounted on flash brackets. There is a lot of wiggle and I have to turn on the flashes and triggers separately. Thinking about replacing the speedlights/triggers with the AD360II-C or whatever the Flashpoint or Cheetahstand equivalents are. If I do that, wanted to see if the flash would sit up higher in a shoot through umbrella, which is already a problem in my current setup, and whether I could even use the rapid box or if I should look at other modifiers.

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:25 PM
nixland
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AD360II with Umbrellas and Wescott Rapidbox?

Use Godox S-type bracket for AD360.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51UXIM7yd%2BL._SY400_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Godox-Bracket-Speedlite-Softbox-Honeycomb/dp/B00JS3MINC

Oct 14, 2016 at 01:01 AM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AD360II with Umbrellas and Wescott Rapidbox?

Yep - what he said. Sell all that Canon stuff (like I did) and never look back.

Get one of these flash units too for some flexibility Small Flash

Any of these modifiers from the Cheetahstand.com site are all great. I got a QuickSilver 33 for nice light and little loss of power.

Best of Luck!

Oct 14, 2016 at 04:09 AM
echelonphoto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AD360II with Umbrellas and Wescott Rapidbox?

I love my godox 360's have one manual only and one ttl. I have the dream location system with my Canon 6d's and the phottix laso system. I can control my off camera flashes in either ttl or manual mode with my canon 430ex 3 flash which also doubles as a fill light and also control them on my second camera with my laso transmitter. For weddings...it is a dream as I use hi speed sync ttl outdoors, controlling the off camera light intensity with a quick push of a button right on the camera menu (+ or - exposure comp). when I shoot indoors , I just add a shoot thru umbrella to the off camera and shoot manual with that flash and vary my on camera fill in ttl mode with the camera quick menu, again exposure comp. works very quickly and gives a great look. for corporate head shots, I use the two godox flashes as key and fill lights and light the background with a cheap Youngnuo 680 ex all controlled from the camera again with my laso transmitter. That's one reason I have stuck with Canon bodies...there is no other flash system that is so well integrated with third party flashes.

Oct 16, 2016 at 04:54 PM
echelonphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · AD360II with Umbrellas and Wescott Rapidbox?

One accessory that is invaluable on the godox 360 is the diffused dome reflector....it stays on always , whether direct flash or shoot thru umbrella. When using the godox as a room light with this reflector...I get great even lighting, even in the largest of rooms. Outdoors as a portrait light, it really softens your lighting.

Oct 16, 2016 at 04:58 PM
echelonphoto
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · AD360II with Umbrellas and Wescott Rapidbox?

The other thing is that one battery charge can last a whole ten hour wedding as it did for me just yesterday...plus recycle time is awesome

Oct 16, 2016 at 05:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Harold St
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · AD360II with Umbrellas and Wescott Rapidbox?

echelonphoto wrote:
One accessory that is invaluable on the godox 360 is the diffused dome reflector....it stays on always , whether direct flash or shoot thru umbrella. When using the godox as a room light with this reflector...I get great even lighting, even in the largest of rooms. Outdoors as a portrait light, it really softens your lighting.

Does leaving the reflector/diffuser on result in a noticeable decrease in output? Would think that leaving the reflector on would help direct more light into a shoot through umbrella.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:50 AM
Harold St
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · AD360II with Umbrellas and Wescott Rapidbox?

echelonphoto wrote:
The other thing is that one battery charge can last a whole ten hour wedding as it did for me just yesterday...plus recycle time is awesome

Big selling point for me - I took 800 pictures yesterday with new AAs in both the flashes and the CP-E3 and by the end of the shoot the recycle time was several seconds so I missed a number of shots.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:52 AM
Harold St
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · AD360II with Umbrellas and Wescott Rapidbox?

Cphoto1954 wrote:
Yep - what he said. Sell all that Canon stuff (like I did) and never look back.

Get one of these flash units too for some flexibility Small Flash

Any of these modifiers from the Cheetahstand.com site are all great. I got a QuickSilver 33 for nice light and little loss of power.

Best of Luck!

Thanks - just sold my Wescott softbox on the B&S forum and will pick up a quicksilver and give it a shot. Looks very similar in terms of portability and setup time.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:55 AM
echelonphoto
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · AD360II with Umbrellas and Wescott Rapidbox?

it does cut down the light considerable, but with 400 ws...I never have a problem....my room light with diffuser is set below 1/4 power and I am usually shooting at iso 1000 at 5.6 with the light about 30 ft from subject...the light just bounces all over the room creating a very three dimensional look. With the shoot thru umbrella...I am shooting at 5.6, iso 400 at 10 ft.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:32 PM
echelonphoto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · AD360II with Umbrellas and Wescott Rapidbox?

Now I need to get this system working with my new fuji xt2....hope godox will make a transmitter for this camera with ttl, ttl passthru, and hss or a smaller ttl controller flash like my canon 430ex 3

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:36 PM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · AD360II with Umbrellas and Wescott Rapidbox?

Just ordered my second Cheetah 360X I absolutely love these flash. Lighter weight lots of power and battery pack that lasts forever. Also just order the 36" Ricebowl for a shoot this weekend.

Oct 23, 2016 at 03:31 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password