Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Tips for using the 85 f/1.2 L ?

sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Tips for using the 85 f/1.2 L ?

With the 5D II's AF system I got my best results by taking two or three shots for every one I wanted (subject matter allowing) while back-button one-shot focussing each time. I would thumb-index it in quick succession to limit movement of subject or camera.

Don't rock back and forth if you can avoid it. The 85 f/1.2 has is challenges and rewards. Mostly the latter.

And it can see in the dark!

Oct 14, 2016 at 07:55 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tips for using the 85 f/1.2 L ?

rabbitmountain wrote:
By the way I didn't mean in any way to sound condescending.... Maybe with your experience it's easier.

No worries. I thought it was funny!

To me, it doesn't get easier. For whatever advancement you make, you then raise the bar of your expectations of yourself.

It's interesting to go back and visit your early work. We just returned to Europe to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the trip we made in high school, the trip where we met. I went back and pulled the slides I took in 1966 with a little fixed lens rangefinder Sears Tower (rebranded Olympus) camera that I bought second hand for $25.00. I took along a little Gossen Pilot light meter. Given the equipment limitations, the photos were pretty darn good technically and compositionally!

BTW, on our anniversary trip, we spent three days in Amsterdam, a city we didn't visit 50 years ago. We fell in love with the city! I only wish we had another week or two to explore.

Oct 15, 2016 at 09:57 AM
Glenn_Law

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Tips for using the 85 f/1.2 L ?

The lens was great! All of your tips really helped. Using AI Servo and putting the center spot on the subject's eye worked best for me. I experimented with different distances, apertures, and focus methods. The most surprising thing for me was that my success rate was lower with the 80D. I think it was lower because I was not using the center focus point. Rather, I put it on single focus point and then selected a non-center focus point and put it over the subject's eye. I'm not sure how to post pictures on FM. I will work on that and try to upload some pics.

I am quite pleased with Photo Rental Source in Houston. I will rent from them again.

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:46 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Tips for using the 85 f/1.2 L ?

Good to hear. Looking forward to seeing a couple of shots. I got my 85/1.2 (original version) out and fired off a few shots around the house with it over the weekend. Absolutely nothing spectacular, but it was fun just working with the extremely shallow DOF that f/1.2 offers.

Oct 17, 2016 at 05:50 PM
BrandonRussell
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Tips for using the 85 f/1.2 L ?

I rarely shoot it at 1.2, and it still looks amazing at f/2. If you open it up below f/2, make sure your using that super accurate center AF point!

Oct 17, 2016 at 08:47 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.