Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Profoto D2 lowest setting?

Konablue
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto D2 lowest setting?

Before the B1/B2 systems that I use now, I had the D1 500w and 1000w strobes. I found I often needed to use the lower end of the power level of a 500w more often than the max setting of a 1000w (usually, to get a narrower DOF and I rarely shot with strobes in bright conditions. Something I discovered between the two strobes was that the 1000w D1 did not dial down on the power as low as the 500w. So I wonder if you can dial the power down as low on the new 1000w D2 as you can on any of the new or old 500w or 250w models?

Note: The D2 has a 10 stop range whereas the D1's had 7 stops and the B1 has 9. The specs on their website doesn't give you any info on the lower limits of these strobes.

So does anyone happen to know how the D2's minimum power level compare to the D1/B1 models? Can the D2 go as low?

Oct 13, 2016 at 01:42 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto D2 lowest setting?

The new D2's are supposed to have a 10-stop capability. According to the specification on the B and H Profoto D2 web page, the 1000Ws can go down to 2Ws and the 500Ws can go down to 1Ws. That's confirmed on the Profoto.com website as well. The "Technical Specifications" tab at the bottom of the D2 page states the power from "2-1000Ws and "1-500Ws". Hope that answers you question.

Oct 13, 2016 at 01:57 PM
Konablue
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto D2 lowest setting?

I didn't see that on the spec pages. Thanks.

So it looks like they did extend the power range on the low end compared to the D1 models. The minimum setting seems to be an overlooked spec. Just wish they would have used an LED modeling light though and something brighter than the 20w LED used in the B1. But overall, the D2 is looking good.

Oct 13, 2016 at 02:56 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto D2 lowest setting?

Totally agree about the modeling light. In some brighter situations, the B1 modeling light is useless. I currently have RFI modifiers, so the heat from the 300W halogen isn't a big deal.

Oct 13, 2016 at 03:17 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.