Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Olympus 7-14 vs Fuji 10-24 (using Oly for landscapes)

RobCD
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus 7-14 vs Fuji 10-24 (using Oly for landscapes)

I've been using primarily Fuji for everything after selling most of my DSLR equipment a while back but I've recently started using the Olympus Pen-F for travel. When I first started with Fuji I still used my DSLR equipment for landscape photography but I eventually added more Fuji lenses and sold the DSLR setup with the long term plan of upgrading to the X-T2. So, before I upgrade to the X-T2 I'm considering just adding a landscape lens or two to the Olympus setup and eventually adding the E-M1 II. I used the Olympus 9-18 lens a few years ago and it was a nice lens but not wide enough for my needs. So, I'm wondering if anyone has used both the Olympus 7-14 and the Fuji 10-24? I'd also be interested in general thoughts on using Olympus and the 7-14 for landscape photography. Print size is relevant to me but not super important. I sometimes print 20x30 but that is rare so I'm more interested in things like dynamic range, noise, and lens performance.

Oct 13, 2016 at 05:40 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus 7-14 vs Fuji 10-24 (using Oly for landscapes)

The only thing I'd mention is the Pen-F's Hi Rez feature. 80mp raw files or 50mp JPEGS. For landscape, that would be my choice. Otherwise 20x30 is no problem even for the 16mp sensor. Otherwise, the larger the sensor the better the DR/Low noise.

Oct 14, 2016 at 01:56 AM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus 7-14 vs Fuji 10-24 (using Oly for landscapes)

savingspaces wrote:
The only thing I'd mention is the Pen-F's Hi Rez feature. 80mp raw files or 50mp JPEGS. For landscape, that would be my choice. Otherwise 20x30 is no problem even for the 16mp sensor. Otherwise, the larger the sensor the better the DR/Low noise.

I haven't used it yet but I'm going to try the hi res option. My general impression so far is that the Pen-F DR is comparable to the Fuji but that's just an observation and I haven't attempted any side by side comparisons. I use the ultra wide angle zoom more than any other lens so I think if the 7-14 lens is as good as the 10-24 Fuji I might be able to get what I want from the Olympus system.

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:59 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus 7-14 vs Fuji 10-24 (using Oly for landscapes)

Another thing to note is which RAW convertor you're using. The newer X-Trans III is much improved in terms of dealing with foilage. I don't really experience the issue myself but I'm not a big pixel peeper. I do have friends who are big into landscape and they note that it's much improved, even with Adobe but they prefer to use other RAW programs.

Another thing to note is that the Fuji 10-24 can take 72mm filters, while the Olympus cannot take filters without using a 3rd party attachment. Might be a big deal for you if you're using filters.

Oct 14, 2016 at 02:25 PM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus 7-14 vs Fuji 10-24 (using Oly for landscapes)

TMaG82 wrote:
Another thing to note is that the Fuji 10-24 can take 72mm filters, while the Olympus cannot take filters without using a 3rd party attachment. Might be a big deal for you if you're using filters.

That is a valid point and something I've considered. It may not be a deal breaker but I do prefer a lens that accepts CPL or ND filters but I guess at this point I've convinced myself to compromise there if the lens is otherwise on par. I'm finding that I really like the simplicity and efficiency of one system if I can make it work.

Oct 14, 2016 at 07:54 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Olympus 7-14 vs Fuji 10-24 (using Oly for landscapes)

Another thing to note is that the Fuji lens is not weather sealed. In terms of IQ, there are lots of reviews around and they both look like they can deliver fine images. The Olympus looks like it's more prone to flare, as UWA zooms of its type typically are, but may be a bit sharper than the Fuji.

I'd say that ultimately, if the most important consideration is that you'd prefer to stick to one system, then I don't see any reason not to go with the Olympus assuming the filter issue isn't a deal breaker. It's a bit of a pain to me, but can sometimes be worked around with exposure blending.

Oct 14, 2016 at 08:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobCD
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Olympus 7-14 vs Fuji 10-24 (using Oly for landscapes)

itai195 wrote:
Another thing to note is that the Fuji lens is not weather sealed. In terms of IQ, there are lots of reviews around and they both look like they can deliver fine images. The Olympus looks like it's more prone to flare, as UWA zooms of its type typically are, but may be a bit sharper than the Fuji.

I'd say that ultimately, if the most important consideration is that you'd prefer to stick to one system, then I don't see any reason not to go with the Olympus assuming the filter issue isn't a deal breaker. It's a bit of
...Show more

Yes, the one system is important to me and I think the 7-14 will work. Good point about the weather sealing, that will be a nice bonus if I do end up with the E-M1 II. I went ahead and bought a 7-14 here on FM so I'm going to give it a try with the Pen-F. Thanks to you and everyone else for the input!

Oct 14, 2016 at 09:13 PM
houn nam

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Olympus 7-14 vs Fuji 10-24 (using Oly for landscapes)

The 7-14mm F2.8 is one of the best lend in Micro 4/3rd format. I love mine and if you like Ultra Wide you will love it.

Horseshoe Bend by Nam Ing, on Flickr

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:14 PM
indusphoto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Olympus 7-14 vs Fuji 10-24 (using Oly for landscapes)

How is the corner sharpness of 7-14?

Nov 10, 2016 at 04:39 AM
drofnad
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Olympus 7-14 vs Fuji 10-24 (using Oly for landscapes)

There is also the older and much liked Panasonic 7-14/4, which is considerably smaller than the Olympus lens --lighter at the wallet level, too ! (I got a good copy from KEH.com, but also check FM B&Sell for offers --which will be good, but don't expect folks to part with this often or cheaply.)

-d.

Nov 10, 2016 at 05:07 PM
paulhofseth
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Olympus 7-14 vs Fuji 10-24 (using Oly for landscapes)

I am using the FT 7-14/f4 on the PenF. Good quality, but not very compact. The zoom-range may not seem numerically large, but does provide a useful selection of perspectives. PenF stabilization makes its modest max aperture sufficient even in less than ideal lighting conditions.

I have not had any need for using the 7-14 with the high-resolution mode. I have, however, used the high resolution mode with a 100mm lens and found that for the higher resolution to be useful, solid support is needed.

p.

Nov 11, 2016 at 08:25 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Olympus 7-14 vs Fuji 10-24 (using Oly for landscapes)

There are lots of reviews and bench tests out there.

Corners are good but not stellar - which is typical of ultra-wide zooms.

indusphoto wrote:
How is the corner sharpness of 7-14?

Nov 11, 2016 at 08:43 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password