New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · A7II or A7R (mk 1)

Aaron Cowan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7II or A7R (mk 1)

I'm looking into getting a Sony FF camera soon. My budget is probably $1500 max for the camera so obviously looking to buy used given the two options in the subject.

I've rented both, but it's been almost 2 years since I rented the A7R. I'm aware of any ergonomic/adapter/menu eccentricities of each camera. I like the higher resolution of the A7R but wonder if the ISO capability of the A7II is better, though at lower resolution (but still not bad; I'm not a pro, just shooting for fun!).

My current setup is a Canon 5DII. I shoot landscape 90% of the time and then family/travel the rest of the time.

Given my photography use and these two options, which would be best? Please keep in mind the $1500 budget...

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:06 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7II or A7R (mk 1)

I think it comes down to whether or not you need the resolution, the type of photography you'll do, and whether or not you can live with the compromises that come with both cameras.

Are you planning to print your images? If so, what's the maximize size you expect to print and what's your minimum pixels per inch (ppi)? For example, if the largest you'll ever print is 17" in the short edge, then you can expect 235 ppi from the A7II and 289 ppi from the A7r. I consider 200 ppi the bare minimum (assuming a normal viewing distance), so both cameras would work be acceptable. If your goal is 24" in the short edge, then an A7II wouldn't quite cut it (for me) and an A7r would be fine. Mind you plenty of people would say the 167 ppi you'd get with an A7II at 24" short edge is more than fine for normal viewing distance.

I have the A7r and the A7. Something else you need to keep in mind is that the A7r has a design that can produce shutter shake (loss of resolution due to the impact of the shutter and the absence of an electronic first curtain shutter like the one you find in the A7 (original and II) and A7rII. There's a recent thread right here on FM where various A7r users have talked about this. You'll see that some (like me) are concerned about the shake and make do with various compromises, others gave up on the A7r, and others don't see it in their images or don't consider it important.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1454425/0

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:28 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7II or A7R (mk 1)

Need the resolution?
A7r

Want quieter shutter?
Adapting lenses that you want to AF?
Like every lens to have stabilization?
Doing some video?
Don't want to care about the danger zone for shutter shock?
Want a little bit better ergonomics?
a7II

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:41 PM
Aaron Cowan
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7II or A7R (mk 1)

Thanks for the replies.

I don't *need* the resolution, but it would be nice. I've found the 5DII to meet my needs thus far so I'm sure the A7II would be just fine.

Oct 13, 2016 at 02:29 PM
johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7II or A7R (mk 1)

TheEmrys wrote:
Want quieter shutter?
Adapting lenses that you want to AF?
Like every lens to have stabilization?
Doing some video?
Don't want to care about the danger zone for shutter shock?
Want a little bit better ergonomics?
a7II

Add to that:
Want a more durable lens mount?

Oct 13, 2016 at 04:39 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A7II or A7R (mk 1)

Aaron, the A7ii is undoubtedly a better camera than the A7. However, for your budget, I wonder if you can get an A7ii. I have an A7 and, honestly, unless you need all the specific improvements on the A7ii, you should consider a good used A7. I use my A7 has my walking around and traveling camera, with all kinds of adapted lenses. I really don't have a problem with the ergonomics, and the image quality is excellent. As for the mount, throw on a Fotodiox Tough-e mount and you won't have any concerns.

Frankly, you might want to save money for the best lens you can put on within your budget.
Good luck, Rob.

Oct 13, 2016 at 04:49 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A7II or A7R (mk 1)

Technically and (more so) in real world results, a7r is significantly stronger. Color, DR, ISO. Check for yourself, as an adjunct to commentary from people with leanings one way or another:

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A7-II-versus-Sony-A7R___996_917

I use the 24mp sensor (RX1, a99) along with a7r, results from the 36mp are noticeably better in terms of sparkle, richness, presence. All are good and the a7r is best/cleanest, easy to see upon RAW file opening. 24mp is as you say often good enough, but if you need to crop, or want better image quality, high res is a better option. Whatever lens you use, results will be better. See the FE thread (or my uploads from here) for examples, as the proof is in the pudding.

Sony say IBIS was first introduced on the a7 series (9 months earlier than a7rII) because it is an entry level camera series, designed for users with lower skill levels - who presumably need stabilization to a greater extent. IBIS sounds great but may not go the distance...Sony say they left it off the RX1 series to guarantee better image quality, a tolerance issue. I've *never* seen shutter shock at any s/s in hand held a7r imagery, over several thousands of images, I find it an easier camera to hold still than the RX1 (grip, heft). Nor is the mount a problem IF you use small-medium lenses and handle cameras with due care.

Maybe one way to see it is: if you favor sports sedans and have good driving skills get the a7r, if you need more weight/stabilization and like doodads, get a luxo sedan (II series). a7r is more of an enthusiast's camera, great for fine manual focus lenses. Ergo? Good enough, certainly, even for street work. I adapt to small things, like photographers have done forever. So that is the contrarian view, the other side of the coin regarding your choices. Always good to have both sides of a debate, right? cheers.

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:19 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A7II or A7R (mk 1)

That's why I have both an A7 and an A7r! Different cameras for different jobs, but shared lenses and one learning curve for menus and ergonomics.
Cheers, Rob

Oct 14, 2016 at 08:08 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.