New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Big whites......question on storage

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Big whites......question on storage

Actually my question pertains to lack of use.....should I be periodically be mounting the lens and exercising the focus and aperture on them or is it ok to let them sit.....like 1 to 2 or even 3 years without usage?

Oct 13, 2016 at 03:14 PM
Konablue
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Big whites......question on storage

Depending on storage conditions it could be growing mold or mildew inside which can damage the glass, aperture, electronics, etc. As a minimum you should at least be inspecting them periodically to include an operational functional check.

If you're not using it even once in 1-3 years then why not sell them? Even if the lens is not deteriorating over time, the value certainly is. How hard could it be to exercise the lens once in a while?

Edited on Oct 13, 2016 at 03:31 PM · View previous versions

Oct 13, 2016 at 03:29 PM
lowside67
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Big whites......question on storage

Konablue wrote:
If you're not using it even once in 1-3 years then why not sell it? Even if the lens is not deteriorating over time, the value certainly is. How hard could it be to exercise the lens once in a while?

Not sure that's true - given that the price of the big whites tends to go up every year a few points over inflation, I think that you might find that holding them is a surprisingly inflation-resistant form of low-risk and high-enjoyment investing!

Mark

Oct 13, 2016 at 03:31 PM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Big whites......question on storage

lowside67 wrote:
Not sure that's true - given that the price of the big whites tends to go up every year a few points over inflation, I think that you might find that holding them is a surprisingly inflation-resistant form of low-risk and high-enjoyment investing!

Mark

I think that's the exception but I'm in the U.S.. In most cases the price goes down over time like the Canon 300mm 2.8L IS MkII. I bought mine at nearly $1,000 less than the released price and now it goes for about a $600
than what I paid. Usually, when a new lens model is released the older model usually takes a hit in resale value.

One thing is for sure, Lenses hold their resale value much better than camera bodies.

Edited on Oct 13, 2016 at 04:05 PM · View previous versions

Oct 13, 2016 at 03:36 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Big whites......question on storage

I don't think anything particularly bad will happen, as long as they're stored properly, but why wait to find out? You could make a point of taking them out at least once a year. Can't hurt anything, unless you drop one on a toe.

I store my lenses in a dry cabinet. I've never gone more than four to six months without using most of them at least once, especially the 300/2.8L IS and 500/4L IS.

Oct 13, 2016 at 03:43 PM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Big whites......question on storage

I've heard of apertures freezing up but that's usually caused by mold. Other than moisture creeping in the lens over time I don't know what else could happen. But using the lens or not isn't going to change a long-term moisture problem.

I don't use my 300mm very often but when I do I'm really glad I have it. Sometimes I look for an excuse just to take it out of the case and shoot with it.

Oct 13, 2016 at 03:57 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Big whites......question on storage

For me to keep a lens I've got to be using it at least 3-4 times a year. My collecting days are over.

I only have 2 big whites and keep them vertical in their case with silica gel packs inside.

Oct 13, 2016 at 06:04 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Big whites......question on storage

You should be able to inhibit mould by letting the light get into them, and obviously keeping the humidity down. Perhaps replace the end caps with cling film to let the light in and keep them in a well lit spot?

Oct 13, 2016 at 06:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

eddieb

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Big whites......question on storage

You can always use a vacuum storage bag with some desiccant inside the bag. That should elevate any concern about moisture.

Edited on Oct 13, 2016 at 06:54 PM · View previous versions

Oct 13, 2016 at 06:54 PM
David Garcia
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Big whites......question on storage

I always check the humidity level in my storage area to ensure it is between 35-45% with an Accurite humidity meter.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00613-Indoor-Humidity-Monitor/dp/B0013BKDO8?th=1

I also use "Damp Rid" to absorb the moisture.
https://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG60-Refillable-Moisture-Absorber/dp/B002MPPYU2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1476384617&sr=8-3&keywords=damp%2Brid%2Bmoisture%2Babsorber&th=1

During a slow period or bad time of year, I will also take my lenses out and use them for a little while... just my personal lens care habits.

Oct 13, 2016 at 06:54 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Big whites......question on storage

I bought my 300 f/2.8 non-IS back in 1993 and I leave it in its case in my car trunk full time. I've sometimes gone a year or two without using it, but it works perfectly the moment I need it. I live in Houston which is pretty humid but I've never had a problem with any of my lenses. If I lived in Thailand or the Philippines, I might be more worried about fungus.

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:07 PM
Eric Larsen
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Big whites......question on storage

Never have had a problem storing lenses. I keep mine in a safe in which I have a light on 24/7. This keeps the humidity down by raising the temp slightly relative to the air outside the safe (which where I live is about 45%). Never have seen any evidence of growth of any kind.

I don't think you have to "exercise" lenses -- they don't have muscles nor do they have lube that needs circulation.

I'd keep the contacts clean.

Oct 14, 2016 at 03:48 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Big whites......question on storage

hotdog12 wrote:
If I lived in Thailand or the Philippines, I might be more worried about fungus.

So true.... I've lost many lenses to fungus already.

I usually take out all my lenses from their bags/cases every 2-3 weeks, so I can clean the front elements of condensation-like spots. I also try to expose them to early morning or late afternoon sunlight if I can.

In my experience (here in very humid Philippines), using the lenses at least once every two weeks keeps the fungus away.

Oct 14, 2016 at 06:00 AM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Big whites......question on storage

I'm living in Thailand and my dry boxes are at about 40 right now. No problems yet.

Oct 14, 2016 at 01:06 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Big whites......question on storage

Liquidstone wrote:
So true.... I've lost many lenses to fungus already.

I usually take out all my lenses from their bags/cases every 2-3 weeks, so I can clean the front elements of condensation-like spots. I also try to expose them to early morning or late afternoon sunlight if I can.

In my experience (here in very humid Philippines), using the lenses at least once every two weeks keeps the fungus away.

You should expose the elements to noonday sun when the light is UV rich. The atmosphere at sunrise or sunset largely filters out the UV. Good luck! I'm sooooo glad I don't have this problem.

Oct 14, 2016 at 02:18 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Big whites......question on storage

hotdog12 wrote:
You should expose the elements to noonday sun when the light is UV rich. The atmosphere at sunrise or sunset largely filters out the UV. Good luck! I'm sooooo glad I don't have this problem.

Yes, you're right on the noontime sun, of course.

But the early morning or late afternoon sun over our islands is already intense enough. I usually mount my big glass on a tripod for sun exposure and it's easier to orient the lens when the sun is low, rather than overhead. I also take off the plastic rear cap to avoid potential meltdowns, and watch over the lens during exposure to make sure no untoward combustion or toppling incident happens.

I tried using dry boxes early on, but I keep moving around and lugging the boxes from location to location is impossibly tough.

Keeping fungus at bay is always a rigorous task in the humid environment of our islands. But the same high humidity regime spawns lots of rain, and that coupled with good sunlight during most of the year has resulted into an explosion of avi-fauna species that are excellent photo subjects.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:43 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password