Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · List of Lens with working OIS (stablization) for the Blac...

iKokomo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · List of Lens with working OIS (stablization) for the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera

I am looking for an affordable micro 4/3rds lens (probably a Panasonic lens) for my Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera (BMPCC) that works with OIS. I want to supplement my prime lens with a lens that is more automatic with OIS and autofocus.

When looking for lens online I see terms like Mega OIS and Power OIS and that some people that the BMPCC will not use OIS if it does not have a switch. And some say all Power OIS lens will work regardless of switch. It is kind of confusing especially since I am new to the Blackmagic community.

My BMPCC is fully updated to firmware 2.1.

My question is, what are my choices of lens, a lens list, that I should get that are both autofocus and OIS?

Oct 13, 2016 at 02:49 PM
Hi-Matic

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · List of Lens with working OIS (stablization) for the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera

iKokomo wrote:
I am looking for an affordable micro 4/3rds lens (probably a Panasonic lens) for my Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera (BMPCC) that works with OIS. I want to supplement my prime lens with a lens that is more automatic with OIS and autofocus.

When looking for lens online I see terms like Mega OIS and Power OIS and that some people that the BMPCC will not use OIS if it does not have a switch. And some say all Power OIS lens will work regardless of switch. It is kind of confusing especially since I am new to the Blackmagic
...Show more

I'm new to the BMPCC as well. I'll take a stab at your questions, but you probably should go to bmcuser or the Black Magic Design forum. FM is much more stills oriented.

I understand that all native M43 lenses with OIS have stabilization on the BMPCC. Under an earlier version of the firmware, only M43 lenses with OIS AND an OIS switch had stabilization on the BMPCC. However, current firmware allows OIS to function, with or without a switch. That catch is that if you don't have a switch, you cannot turn it off (no option in the firmware). Yes, the BMD cameras seem like beta versions sometimes.

Autofocus on the BMPCC does not work like it does on most AF cameras; you must push a focus button on the body to get the camera to focus. Even then, the focus is very slow and it can hunt (but it is pretty accurate). When you push the focus button, it will cause camera shake. The BMPCC is definitely not a consumer run & gun-type camera. If you do want to record this type of footage, I would recommend a very wide lens (for increased depth of field) and an effective gimbal.

It would appear that the most popular zoom for the BMPCC is the Panasonic 12-35mm 2.8 (has an OIS switch). Also consider the Metabones BMPCC-specific speedbooster adapter for Canon EF lenses. It makes for a bigger package, but it allows for more wide options and {much} faster lenses.

The BMPCC is a finicky camera to use, but when you get it right, the result is stunning. Have fun.

Oct 14, 2016 at 03:42 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password