New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Thai King Passes Away

Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thai King Passes Away

The official announcement of the King's passing was made this evening, October 13th, 2016.

Although far removed from many of you, this is possibly the biggest event in modern Thai history.

Everything is uncertain at this stage, but what is known is that the mourning will be protracted and dramatic. With the burial ceremony possibly taking up to a year to allow mourners to visit his funerary urn in which his body will remain in state in Bangkok until later cremation.

Succession is likely to be fraught, and the army (the current military junta) on edge.

Head's up if you have travel plans - check your embassy's Bangkok postings for advisories.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/13/thai-king-bhumibol-adulyadej-dies-after-70-year-reign

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:26 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thai King Passes Away

Best wishes for a smooth transition.

Oct 13, 2016 at 05:38 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thai King Passes Away

My condolences, Paul and thank you for the advisory.

Your post caused me to read up a bit on your King and his reign. He seems to have been a noble, revered figure. I can imagine how so many of your countrymen must feel like they've lost a lifelong presence and anchor.

Blessings and peace to you and yours.

Chuck

Oct 15, 2016 at 03:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thai King Passes Away

Cheers, Jim and Chuck. Due to the king's death all festivities have been cancelled during the initial month-long mourning period - which will extend to a full calendar year officially ending in Oct. 2017.

One festivity canned was the local annual buffalo races which is a photographic highlight - an expected cancellation, but one about which I was still disappointed.

Nonetheless there will be a lot to photograph between now and then, with local photographers giving blanket coverage across the city. EPA and Reuters photog's are out in force along with many others.

There will be key events, currently being planned, between now and when the king's body is finally cremated - after laying in state for an as yet undisclosed length of time. Such events will be thoroughly covered, providing photographers with a chance to make potentially historical images.

Personally, as a preliminary, I went and shot the clichés - as you do.

Oct 17, 2016 at 02:15 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thai King Passes Away

Yikes, that sounds bad.

EBH

Oct 17, 2016 at 03:20 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thai King Passes Away

21 Gun Salute - One firing of a 21 gun salute in Bangkok upon the death of the Thai king.

Oct 19, 2016 at 01:44 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password