New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 5D MkIV long exposures?

giulioz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D MkIV long exposures?

I am wondering if anybody has already tried the 5D MkIV for very long exposures and how it performs with LNR off, compared to the MkIII.

Thank you, Giulio

Oct 13, 2016 at 04:01 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D MkIV long exposures?

This guy has tested a lot of cameras for long exposure noise, now also the 5D IV. You can select it in the drop-down list. It looks good.

http://www.brendandaveyphotography.com/?page_id=726

Oct 13, 2016 at 04:06 AM
giulioz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D MkIV long exposures?

alundeb wrote:
This guy has tested a lot of cameras for long exposure noise, now also the 5D IV. You can select it in the drop-down list. It looks good.

http://www.brendandaveyphotography.com/?page_id=726

Thanks, I checked the web-site and compared the MkIV to the MkIII and I don't see much difference

Oct 13, 2016 at 04:42 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D MkIV long exposures?

A short video by Jim Goldstein might answer your questions:

Oct 13, 2016 at 05:31 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D MkIV long exposures?

giulioz wrote:
Thanks, I checked the web-site and compared the MkIV to the MkIII and I don't see much difference

Just looking at the images, yes it seems like little difference.
He has quantitative results which show the IV is better than the III which is useful to me. It would be more useful to have a practical understanding of the numerical results. It would be even more useful to have some 4 minute night sky exposures side by side. However, it seems the testing shows the IV is not inferior to the III. This was not the case with the A7R2 and 5DSR which saved me from considering an upgrade.

Oct 13, 2016 at 08:11 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D MkIV long exposures?

Am I looking at his comparisons wrong, or is the Fuji X type camera data showing it is even cleaner than the top of the line Canon and Nikon gear? That is on the site linked above.

Oct 13, 2016 at 02:05 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D MkIV long exposures?

Daniel Smith wrote:
Am I looking at his comparisons wrong, or is the Fuji X type camera data showing it is even cleaner than the top of the line Canon and Nikon gear? That is on the site linked above.

No you are correct, the X-T1 is superb with long exposures at base iso. Though if you compare the Fujis with e.g. a d810, i find that the blacks in the fuji clip more. Not sure why.

Oct 13, 2016 at 02:22 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D MkIV long exposures?

Thanks for the link to the Sensor Noise comparison site. Very interesting.

Appears from this that my 760D is better for long exposures than my old 5D2 (which does not surprise me) but that the former model appears very similar to the 7D2, which does surprise me. In terms of pure sensor performance the latest Rebels seem to hold their own against very much more expensive kit.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:30 AM
DtEW
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D MkIV long exposures?

Daniel Smith wrote:

therealthings wrote:
No you are correct, the X-T1 is superb with long exposures at base iso. Though if you compare the Fujis with e.g. a d810, i find that the blacks in the fuji clip more. Not sure why.

From what I understand, Fuji RAWs are a bit more "cooked" than others. Supposedly the process of demosaicizing the RAW files from the X-Trans sensor indirectly involves some noise reduction as part of the algorithm. Some details are necessarily lost at ISOs below 6400, as perhaps evidenced by the observed clipped/crushed blacks. This might be the reason why DXOMark can't come up with meaningful/not-preposterous DR readings for the Fuji X-Trans cameras.

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.