New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · XQD way far from dead

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · XQD way far from dead

http://resourcemagonline.com/2016/10/the-cfast-vs-xqd-battle-is-already-over-stop-buying-cfast/68002/

Oct 13, 2016 at 03:09 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · XQD way far from dead

So there may be even more physical formats.
I hope not to have five types of memory cards for four camera types.

EBH

Oct 13, 2016 at 04:38 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · XQD way far from dead

I got a free C-Fast with the 1DX2 and don't plan to ever buy another. I have an XQD for my D500. The XQD is a nicer card IMHO. C-Fast is better than CF without the pins but I'd be happy to see XQD or this new standard that should be backwards compatible with XQD according to that article be the format of the future. Especially since it will be able to offer us faster speeds where as C-Fast is almost maxed out now.

I hope Canon abandons C-Fast for the 1DXIII in 2020 and moves to the newer standard with DUAL SLOTS please Canon!! But I guess not having dual C-Fast has saved me money especially if the format does disappear over the next few years. Time will tell.

Oct 13, 2016 at 09:54 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · XQD way far from dead

D810, three types of 5D bodies, etc. will keep CF around past its natural expiry date. Most of mine are from that spring 2014 sale, so I got my money's worth.
I'm sure that Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. know what is coming. I hope this all gets sorted before the 2018 cameras are out.

EBH

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:04 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · XQD way far from dead

Oh, i always get my monies worth out of my cards. my days with CF are done. i do believe that after this year Nikon will not be producing a new body that contains the Standard CF card slot. XQD and SD from here on

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:14 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · XQD way far from dead

I hope there will be very fast, common form factor cards that can be used in Nikon and Canon bodies in the future.

EBH

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:17 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · XQD way far from dead

EB-1 wrote:
I hope there will be very fast, common form factor cards that can be used in Nikon and Canon bodies in the future.

EBH

If that article is to be believed, that seems to be exactly the direction we are headed in, and I agree that it's a good thing.

Steve, a bit confused by the thread title did I miss where anyone here claimed that XQD was dead? Or was that really just for dramatic effect ?

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · XQD way far from dead

The article is poorly written for sure.

EBH

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:51 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · XQD way far from dead

About 3.5 years ago I started the xqd not dead yet thread. Got lots of push back on it from people claiming cfast was going to bury it. I put forth the concept of pcie superiority over the near dead end of Sata. Just having a bit of fun with it. but in the end it finally looks like the CFA turned and looked to a more open future rather then an established but finite past.

mitesh wrote:
If that article is to be believed, that seems to be exactly the direction we are headed in, and I agree that it's a good thing.

Steve, a bit confused by the thread title did I miss where anyone here claimed that XQD was dead? Or was that really just for dramatic effect ?

Edited on Oct 15, 2016 at 04:27 PM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:18 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · XQD way far from dead

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

ehh, maybe to an extent. after reading it more then once the information tends to gel a bit better.

CFexpress

Oct 15, 2016 at 04:19 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · XQD way far from dead

sjms wrote:
...after reading it more then once...

I think you just made EBH's point

Oct 15, 2016 at 05:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · XQD way far from dead

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

sjms wrote:
ehh, maybe to an extent. after reading it more then once the information tends to gel a bit better.

The main value of that article was to prompt searching for further info.

EBH

Oct 15, 2016 at 07:50 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · XQD way far from dead

mitesh wrote:
I think you just made EBH's point

Sometimes I have to re-read such articles a few times and discard the nonsense. The first sentence turned me off.

I authored numerous technical documents for decades, though now it's more of a review and approval role. I've seen a trend with many of the Milleniums not writing nearly as well as the older folks when they were at the same level of experience. It's not just about loss of grammar skills, but presenting the facts in a clear, organized manner.

EBH

Oct 15, 2016 at 08:15 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · XQD way far from dead

millennials

Oct 15, 2016 at 08:58 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password