Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Will this void Canon Warranty?

MadManAce

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Will this void Canon Warranty?

Taking a camera to Canon for inconsistent AF. Iím wondering if Canon will try to say I voided warranty by attaching LCDVF32D metal frame to body. I am a CPS Gold member if that makes any difference.

Kinotehnik LCDVF32D
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1050128-REG/kinotehnik_lcdvf32d_lcd_viewfinder_for.html

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:40 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Will this void Canon Warranty?

Only the small frame is attached, correct? I don't see that as an issue any more than various screen protectors. Of course if you are expecting service for the LCD panel it might be different.

EBH

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:45 AM
thepiecesfit
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Will this void Canon Warranty?

No don't think so. That's like sticking a screen protector on the back.

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:56 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Will this void Canon Warranty?

CPS asks that you not send anything not needed to determine the problem before sending in, so you might want to remove it.
BTW - do you have the problem without the eyepiece attached - it really shouldn't make any difference, but...?

Ron

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:17 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Will this void Canon Warranty?

If removing the hood caused a problem perhaps Canon wouldn't want to replace that under warranty but if the body itself went wrong I doubt it would affect your statutory rights - you aren't interfering with the camera's internals in any way

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:31 PM
MadManAce

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Will this void Canon Warranty?

surfnron wrote:
CPS asks that you not send anything not needed to determine the problem before sending in, so you might want to remove it.
BTW - do you have the problem without the eyepiece attached - it really shouldn't make any difference, but...?

Ron

As mentioned above, it's a thin metal frame that attaches around the LCD like a screen protector. Once attached it's meant to stay on, it does not affect the operation of the camera, it's hardly noticeable when not used with optical VF. Removing it would require I buy a replacement part and some solvent to remove glue residue, not the end of the world, but I would rather avoid the hassle if I could.

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Will this void Canon Warranty?

MadManAce wrote:
As mentioned above, it's a thin metal frame that attaches around the LCD like a screen protector. Once attached it's meant to stay on, it does not affect the operation of the camera, it's hardly noticeable when not used with optical VF. Removing it would require I buy a replacement part and some solvent to remove glue residue, not the end of the world, but I would rather avoid the hassle if I could.

I wouldn't worry about it then. I think CPS is worried about returning everything sent to them, and posts here seem to indicate that they worry for good reason ~ Ron

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:55 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Will this void Canon Warranty?

surfnron wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it then. I think CPS is worried about returning everything sent to them, and posts here seem to indicate that they worry for good reason ~ Ron

+1

When I send in a camera, it's stripped of everything that can be stripped from it; which is ususally, battery, card, and VF eyecup.

One of my 6D has a Z-Finder frame on/around the rear LCD. I might take it off, before sending it in, but then again maybe I wouldn't. Of course, it would be replaced with a new frame, later.

Oct 13, 2016 at 01:11 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Will this void Canon Warranty?

If the frame is glued in place it may make repair impossible if they have to open the camera...

Probably they would return the camera without repairing if that were the case as they probably aren't allowed to destroy the frame themselves. Also this would mean that the repair isn't covered under warranty/CPS service even if they removed that frame themselves (for which you would need to give them permission)...

Oct 13, 2016 at 02:55 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Will this void Canon Warranty?

charlyw wrote:
If the frame is glued in place it may make repair impossible if they have to open the camera...

Probably they would return the camera without repairing if that were the case as they probably aren't allowed to destroy the frame themselves. Also this would mean that the repair isn't covered under warranty/CPS service even if they removed that frame themselves (for which you would need to give them permission)...

Why do you think that? The camera can be disassembled without removing the frame. The LCD stays in the back when you open it up.

Oct 17, 2016 at 02:47 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Will this void Canon Warranty?

They never said anything about mine during a free clean and check.
BTW, with a hair dryer on med heat setting that frame drops off the body in a few seconds.

Oct 17, 2016 at 05:01 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password