New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Favorite lenses for stil life photography

Smousefam5
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Favorite lenses for stil life photography

I have been starting to delve into still life photography. Mostly coffee pictures, fly-fishing themes, etc. I have been using a Tokina 100mm macro and it has been working well. I have been thinking a shorter focal length might be good to try. I have been looking at the Nikon micro 55 and 60's. Thoughts?

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:31 PM
Smousefam5
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Favorite lenses for stil life photography

Nobody doing any still life photography? Forgot to mention I am shooting with a D7000.

Oct 16, 2016 at 06:29 AM
lbloom
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Favorite lenses for stil life photography

I'd pick up a 55 micro in good condition, lock it down on a tripod, and shoot away.

Oct 16, 2016 at 08:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CRamsey

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Favorite lenses for stil life photography

If you're really into it, look at an 85mm PC Micro lens, tilt/shift. It's great for controlling depth of field and plane of focus. I've shot lots of small products with this lens on a DX format camera. It's a wonderful lens.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:54 AM
pbraymond
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Favorite lenses for stil life photography

The 55 micros are good and dirt cheap; for a really cheap option try the manual focus 55's, sharp and cheap. The Tilt Shift lenses would give you additional creative and technical possibilities. Other suggestions would be to try focus stacking, light modifiers (gobos, snoots, light tent reflectors etc) or maybe even the lensbaby stuff. Enjoy.

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:47 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Favorite lenses for stil life photography

I own both AF 60mm lenses, the new one is a tad better, and lighter. Both are very sharp and contrasty, you will need to focus in live view if you are anything like me, to get an optimal zone of acceptable sharpness.

CRamsey wrote:
If you're really into it, look at an 85mm PC Micro lens, tilt/shift. It's great for controlling depth of field and plane of focus. I've shot lots of small products with this lens on a DX format camera. It's a wonderful lens.

That is a very very sharp lens, even at F22 unlike most micro/macro lenses. It also seems to have good bokeh, maybe something to do with the optical design. The non E version is slow to use, and flash exposure might be a tad off especially when tilted/shifted.

Oct 16, 2016 at 09:03 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password