New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · acros settings?

esanchez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · acros settings?

Any acros setting you like better than another? Looking for settings suggestions. highlights, shadows, sharpness grain...etc...

what are you using?

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:29 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · acros settings?

It's just taste really. I use +1 highs, all other zero.

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:49 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · acros settings?

I like adding grain for older architecture and low light scenes. I am still playing around with the highlights and what not. I do love that I have that control.

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:26 PM
iamjoenish
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · acros settings?

Acros+G, 0 Shadows, -1/0 Highlights, +1 Sharpness, Weak Grain. I find these settings very appropriate for people photography. Skin tones are usually rendered very nicely!

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:29 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · acros settings?

iamjoenish wrote:
Acros+G, 0 Shadows, -1/0 Highlights, +1 Sharpness, Weak Grain. I find these settings very appropriate for people photography. Skin tones are usually rendered very nicely!

Interesting, I find Acros (G) darkens skin too much and makes it look old / grainy. I prefer Acros (R) for general stuff, as Acros (Y) seems to brighten skin too much.

I should experiment more, though

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:51 PM
iamjoenish
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · acros settings?

cputeq wrote:
Interesting, I find Acros (G) darkens skin too much and makes it look old / grainy.

I actually had the same findings early on when I was shooting Acros for everything lol. I did some testing and definitely found, at least to me, that the green filter had the most detail retention in skin. One of the other filters, can't remember which, easily blows out details in skin.

Try it out!

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:14 PM
esanchez
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · acros settings?

Other than small amount grain is there really much difference between BW and Acros? I tried both and I feel the difference is minimal. That is why I ask what settings you guys are using. I want to try different settings to compare the acros and standard BW.

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:39 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · acros settings?

I find the tones to be much richer in Acros. BW wasn't bad to begin with, but Acros looks amazing. I play around with the color filters. The light in the frame makes a ton of difference with how I like the rendering. Once I sort out the filters and really understand them, I will play around with the other settings.

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:32 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · acros settings?

Acros is great and a lot of fun
Depends on the look you are after. For me personally I never liked the grainy look, even with film, so grain to 0.

The dramatic, pushed black point, magazine style: shadows +1 or +2, highlights -1, sharpness 0, noise -2 or -3. Reduce the noise even more and with low light you will emulate fine noise like grain but yet very sharp images without artifacts.

Metering for the above settings, try the average meter mode as this may work better.

The yellow and red filter with skin tones will dramatically lighten and may lose some details. Sometimes it is perfect where skin tones are too dark and softens the look. The yellow and more so the red filter are great for cloud definition and enhancement.

I have not used the green filter very much.

Test shot from late this afternoon Acros Green filter. All setting to 0, except noise to -3. Shots are OOC Jpegs no post processing. I really like shin tonality

Oct 13, 2016 at 02:43 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · acros settings?

Re filters, yes I find green filter best for skin BUT it's worth remembering that (caucasian & east asian) skin is generally a stop over mid grey. So the combination of green and normal/underexposure isn't a great look but a bit of apparent over exposure and it looks fine. Old timers will remember the old "meter off the back of your hand then open up a stop" trick from film.

Oct 13, 2016 at 03:23 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · acros settings?

Ian Boys wrote:
Re filters, yes I find green filter best for skin BUT it's worth remembering that (caucasian & east asian) skin is generally a stop over mid grey. So the combination of green and normal/underexposure isn't a great look but a bit of apparent over exposure and it looks fine. Old timers will remember the old "meter off the back of your hand then open up a stop" trick from film.

Very true. I did add compensation of +0.4 for the shot.

Oct 13, 2016 at 03:32 AM
vallejo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · acros settings?

esanchez wrote:
Other than small amount grain is there really much difference between BW and Acros? I tried both and I feel the difference is minimal. That is why I ask what settings you guys are using. I want to try different settings to compare the acros and standard BW.

I'd rather shoot in RAW and decide it later...then you can test all possibilities and then find out what you like the most, for those moments when shooting JPG may be a good idea...some tests below...

https://fujixworld.com/2016/09/13/black-and-white-from-fuji-files/?iframe=true&theme_preview=true

Oct 13, 2016 at 08:45 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · acros settings?

vallejo wrote:
I'd rather shoot in RAW and decide it later...then you can test all possibilities and then find out what you like the most, for those moments when shooting JPG may be a good idea...some tests below...

https://fujixworld.com/2016/09/13/black-and-white-from-fuji-files/?iframe=true&theme_preview=true

Thank you for sharing
I am so used of using RAW files, the concept of having great Jpegs is new to me. Personally I prefer SEPII but I am loving the Jpegs. My wife Marisa was taking shots on the weekend with the XT2 and 18-55, with both RAW and Jpegs, and she ended up just using the Jpegs

Oct 13, 2016 at 04:21 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · acros settings?

I've still got a freezer full of across, mostly in 120 and am pretty sad that the digital version looks very little like the film across, esp with the red or yellow filter. It's a nice enough look, but not at all like the real thing, sadly.
So I shoot raw, and season to taste in Capture one.

Oct 13, 2016 at 07:10 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · acros settings?

According to Fuji, the magic for ACROS is built into the firmware and processor of the new cameras. They actually said none of the products such as C1 or LR/ACR camera profiles cannot accurately render ACROS as well as their in camera processing. For this reason they can't make a firmware upgrade for the X-t2 or X100T. Not enough processor.
There are examples around the web and each should give it a try to see for themselves. I like ACROS out of camera. But I'm shooting more and more work using JPEG files when I work with Fuji cameras.

Oct 21, 2016 at 06:05 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · acros settings?

I wonder if there is any hope of Fuji giving us a profile for Kodak Tri-X? Yeah ... one can hope.

Across is one of the five films I keep large stocks of (as well as Tri-X, Foma 200, T-max 400 and Efke 25 (discontinued) ) but what I find is that it responds very differently depending which developer you use. It is fantastic in Rodinal but awful in a few others that I've tried (esp diafine), but none of the film looks is much like the real film souped in any developer I've ever tried. Not even close mostly. So ... is this just a marketing gimmick?

Oct 21, 2016 at 07:20 PM
esanchez
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · acros settings?

That is why I wanted to know any settings that some of you prefer. I rather shoot jpg/acros and let the camera create the magic :-)

Oct 22, 2016 at 09:15 AM
sfogg
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · acros settings?

Don't bother with the grain setting for ACROS. If you want grain in ACROS crank up the ISO. The NR function in ACROS is different, instead of trying to remove noise it is more like a grain substitution.

The actual grain setting in the Fuji is more like the typical grain on top of the image PP. It isn't needed for ACROS.

http://www.laroquephoto.com/blog/2016/2/11/x-pro2-acros-sooc

Shawn

Oct 22, 2016 at 09:18 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · acros settings?

If I'm not mistaken (because I haven't tried it yet on my XT2), you can shoot RAW, and then process the raw file in camera, which allows you to take a shot, and process it with all the different options to see what looks best for a respective image, skin tone etc.

Nice way to see what each color filter does and how they differ, thus see which suits one's own taste

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:23 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · acros settings?

The real Across has two striking characteristics. fantastic reciprocity characteristics and a look that is very "clinical", similar to Kodak Tmax-100 and without ANY grain. If it's ever criticized by those who don't love it ... it is that it is so grain free that it almost looks plastic - or digital (an even worse insult )

with Grain added - it looks good - but Across it ain't.

My playing around with it I simply made the highlights a bit softer, in trying to get it closer to the real deal. It tends to have a very strong toe and shoulder, both, in the digital version. A bit too much for comfort, if shooting only jpgs.

Oct 22, 2016 at 01:56 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.