Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

jasonkuo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

Hi all,

I currently run two systems, Micro Four Thirds and Nikon Full Frame, and I'm in pursuit of simplifying.

In m43 I have the 15mm f/1.7, 25mm f/1.4, and 75mm f/1.8. I really enjoy m43 for the small weight and size and exceptional image quality. The one thing I miss from it is the ability to do good subject isolation on the wide angle side.

On Nikon I have a 20mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 55mm f/3.5 Macro, 105mm f/2.5, all manual focus except for the 50mm. I like the option for subject isolation and low light work, and fast continuous AF. But the fast wide lenses are just too large and/or heavy, as is the body itself (D700) and whole kit. It makes me end up not carrying it.

So it's got me thinking, maybe I can combine all of this (two bodies, seven lenses) and do a complete shake up and move to 1.5x crop and Fuji with two bodies, one SLR style like an XT1 and the other much smaller like an XM-1 (or maybe an X-E2)? Then I would have a number of options on primes, like the 14mm f/2.8 or 16mm f/1.4 for wide, along with the options at 23mm/35mm and then the 56mm or 90mm.

If I sold all my m43 and Nikon stuff, I could probably start with one Fuji body and three or so primes with cash to spare.

I know this is the Fuji forum, so folks in here probably enjoy their Fuji gear, but does this sound like a logical plan? Or has anyone else made this trade for the middle ground between m43 and FF? On the other hand, has anyone who uses only Fuji found themselves either (1) thinking it's too heavy and hence looks at the smaller formats or (2) finds it lacking in what a FF system could do?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:11 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

I find aps-c to be the best compromise of all. I do portraiture for money, landscape for fun, and aps-c does quite well for this. However, I also thoroughly enjoy wildlife photography as well. My Sony FF kit worked quite well, except for the wildlife (and probably my children's sports, when that day comes). APS-C is perfect for this. And since Fuji is the only aps-c maker who understands making aps-c lenses into FF equivalents, it was an easy choice.

If you don't need the reach of aps-c, Fuji may not be right for you. If you don't like the D700, I would seriously look at the D750. It is a great body, and awfully small for a FF DSLR. Another option would be Sony's FF E mount. However, the lenses are big, near perfect, and expensive. Two of those things are great.

Have you considered the new D500 and some smaller, nice Nikon primes? It is amazing how small some of the 80's-90's full frame lenses are. For me, I am greatly tempted by the new a99II. I could put together a 20/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4, and 100/2 kit for under $1500. All the lenses are tiny, using mostly 49mm or 55mm filters (the 20 is a 72mm). Then the body is biggish, but the lenses are smaller than what I use on my Fuji. However, with older lenses, often enough it means having to deal with some CA, less sharp corners, and older screw drive lenses.

You could put together a 23/2, 35/2, and the 90/2 to give you a very nice prime kit. But you are giving up all stabilization, if that is important to you. If you can add in a 16/1.4, but that is going to be expensive.

Oct 12, 2016 at 01:49 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

Your logic is essentially my trip down many system swaps (check my profile) in a nutshell

I find APS-C is a great compromise between DOF/noise control and size/bulk. It just so happens Fuji is really the only complete APS-C game in town.

As a bonus, they're fun to shoot and have great out-of-camera color (even in raw using Adobe LR/Fuji profiles) and image quality.

Everything's a tradeoff -- you'll lose some cool features from m43 (especially all the neato stuff you get from Olympus) and some AF-C performance from your D700 (also a great camera), but gain other things (great EVF, good control scheme, very good lenses).

The major problem with Fuji is that it's hard to decide which lenses to get first

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:56 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

article extolling APS-C on bythom.com right now

Ironically, I am looking to add m43 to fill in with a highly stabilized ILC system between my DX/FF Nikons and my pocket RX100m3 Sony...

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:10 PM
darthalal
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

I went from Sony a6000 and A7 with 28mm f/2, 55mm f/1.8, 28-70mm and a bunch of manual glass, to adding m43 (Olympus E-P5 and E-M5ii with 14mm f/2.8, 17mm f/1.8, 25mm f/1.8, 45mm f/1.8, 12-40mm f/2.8, 40-150mm f/4-whatever) to getting rid of all of that for Fuji X-T1 and 35mm f/2. I've since added a few lenses (14mm, 23mm f/1.4, 56mm, 50-140mm) and replaced the X-T1 with X-Pro2, but I couldn't be happier. S-AF was slower on Fuji than m43 with the X-T1, but the X-Pro2 has really bridged that gap, and the C-AF of Fuji blew away both Olympus and Sony FF, and that was important to me for motorsports. I like the colors and image 'starting point' far more from Fuji much more than either of the other systems, and love the ergonomics and build quality. I don't miss full frame, because no one makes one with Fuji's control ethos, and don't feel that my images are really 'missing out' by not being shot on full frame, but if Fuji decided to suddenly make one, I'd be tempted to try it. X-Pro2 is a bit 'large' for a mirrorless camera in my opinion. When I'm using it for something specifically for taking pictures, I love the size, and it absolutely doesn't get in the way. For day-to-day, though, I sometimes wish it was a little smaller, just to make it easier to slip into my work bag.

TL;DR: I did something very similar. No regrets. But no one can answer this but you; rent the X-T1 and your favorite focal length for a few days and see how well you get along! The experience of using a Fuji (dedicated dials and switches for everything!) and the way it felt to use are what won me over. YMMV.

Edited on Oct 13, 2016 at 09:45 AM · View previous versions

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:32 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

I would suggest renting or borrowing one before you commit to it if possible. Sometimes things can appear logical on paper but in reality it could end up not fitting your needs. It makes sense that if you could consolidate into one system rather than two separate systems it would simplify your needs.

I had the exact same thinking. I was running a FF/m43 systems as well. On paper and in practice the Fuji did a great job. I had the X-T1 before and liked it but still had some issues with it. When the X-Pro 2 came out I was almost ready to commit to it but as many improvements as there were (dual card slot, AF joystick) there were still a few negatives about it (small EVF, fixed screen). So when the X-T2 came out I was thinking it would be the one for me. It had everything I liked about the X-Pro 2, added a 3 way flip screen, added the huge viewfinder, and added better AF-C, what could be wrong with it?

The more I used the system, the more I realized that as a former DSLR shooter, I'm more accustomed to the DSLR control scheme than Fujis. I like having the front and rear dials to change aperture and shutter. I like having a deep grip, of which the X-T2 is improved but still too shallow for me. I like having the PASM and C1/2/3 dials for rapid changes. And I like having a quick to push video button because while I don't consider myself a videographer at all, I like taking short clips of my kids and having to change the drive dial to get to video mode added an extra step.

You'll read everywhere about the positives and glowing remarks about the Fuji system, and believe me there are a lot to like about it. I don't want this to come off as me sounding like a Fuji hater, I'm certainly not. I love what they're doing in terms of their system and the lenses they release are fantastic. But I'll list some of the negatives that I experienced and if none of them bother you, then I'm sure you'll get along great with it. Some will seem nit picky and they are and every camera has them. But again I'll list them to see if any of them would bother you.

- Inconsistent feel among the lenses in terms of aperture ring. This is somewhat unavoidable since lenses are released at different times but newer lenses have a much stiffer ring than older lenses. Some seem to move by themselves. For this reason I prefer a front dial to change aperture rather than a manual ring. A lot will disagree with me.

- Shutter dial. I like to change shutter speed a lot so again having a manual dial slows me down. Luckily you can set it on T and spin all around the settings using the rear dial. Otherwise you're setting it at a full stop then using the rear dial to move slightly up and down the shutter speed dial.

- Smaller grip. Which kinda makes sense since Fuji users seem to be like 70/30 primes/zooms. The zooms they have are excellent but the Fuji system shines with primes. But I love a deep grip. Adding the additional hand grip helps but that's adding another $130. For me the X-T2 just didn't feel as comfortable to hold since the strap lug split my hands with the lug sitting between my index and middle finger. Using a strap it made quickly grabbing my camera more difficult.

- No touch screen. This might not bother you at all. I like having a touch screen for quick AF point changes and image review. When it comes to till the screen versus fully articulated screen, Fuji seems to have done a good job with their 3 way tilt screen but some would've preferred a fully articulated screen.

- Dials are close but not quite there. The X-Pro 2 had the ISO dial which sometimes stuck with the shutter dial. The X-T2 did a nice job with the click to lock dials for ISO and shutter but they made the drive dial and metering dial harder to move and rotate. Which again for shooting quick video harder to do. If you're doing planned video interviews and shots then it won't bother you as much, if you're a dad trying to take quick clips of your kids on the playground then going back to shooting pictures it's not as convenient as having a separate record button that could be mapped as an additional Fn button. The placement of the top Fn button on the X-T2 made it difficult to use.

- AF is greatly improved over previous models. The addition of the AF joystick is one of the best additions. But for me AF-S just felt a tad slower than m4/3 cameras and the a6300 felt a little faster in AF-C. The X-T2 is much better than m43 in tracking and equal in tracking with the 6300.

If you're committed to looking at an APS-C option than Fuji is your best bet. The lenses are there, the future commitment is there, and the track record for continuous improvement is there.

Oct 13, 2016 at 04:46 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

Two thoughts, for what it's worth.

The X-T2 will be faster at continual focus than the D700. And although it's a good idea to rent, it may not give you enough time to get used to the Fuji. I came from Nikon FF and quite frankly, it took me awhile to get used to using my Fuji comfortably. BUT... after I did, it was no turning back!

I'm no fanboy of any manufacturer, but Fuji has made me more excited than any other camera system in a LONG time.

Just my 2 cents.

Oct 13, 2016 at 05:02 AM
Alanu
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

Jason,

if you need a camera system capable of HSS/TTL metering flash you'll need to hold off on Fuji. I need to update my profile but I shoot both Canon and Fuji. Fuji has a huge void in the flash world which is a deal breaker for me for professional events documentation. My go to is still my Canon gear that I can tackle pretty much anything thrown at me.

I was deep into M43 but I'm no longer into it...... image quality was great in good light but I'm not always in ideal situations. When I use my primary camera system as a reference to IQ I use to cringe at my RAW files from my M43 gear when shooting in low light.

I adopted fuji in desperation to find a reasonably priced system with great IQ. I'll say fuji has been an extremely pleasant surprise in image quality. Editing in lightroom I'll post process saying "YES!!" Consistent high quality results even when the light gets a bit challenging. I prefer my fuji files over my 80D with L lenses!! But my go to is still Canon full frame with my L lenses.

Regardless of what lens you use the 16mpx fuji bodies AF does seem a level slower than a dslr. This is where I'd suggest diving straight into an X-Pro2 or X-t2 (rent it first) and see if the AF speed jives with your personal preference. Its always easier to buy a used or new 16mpx sensor fuji body as a secondary camera.

The rich/lush files I get from my fuji gear is much closer to the full frame world of Iq. This is something I can definitely say I've never experienced with my M43 gear I owned.

If you can pull off getting an X-t2 you'll be in a perfect place for an extremely capable/versatile fuji body that will simply deliver. I do not regret jumping in the fuji world after analyzing my first batch of RAW files from an 18-55 kit lens!!! Yes I did say kit lens!!! I'd take files from a fuji kit lens over my Canon 80D with $$ EF-S 17-55IS. My M43 with Panny 12-35 never came close to a fuji 16mpx with 18-55 kit lens!!

Oct 13, 2016 at 09:21 AM
jasonkuo

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

TheEmrys wrote:
I find aps-c to be the best compromise of all. I do portraiture for money, landscape for fun, and aps-c does quite well for this. However, I also thoroughly enjoy wildlife photography as well. My Sony FF kit worked quite well, except for the wildlife (and probably my children's sports, when that day comes). APS-C is perfect for this. And since Fuji is the only aps-c maker who understands making aps-c lenses into FF equivalents, it was an easy choice.

If you don't need the reach of aps-c, Fuji may not be right for you. If you don't like the
...Show more

Thanks for the input. I haven't considered a D750 or D500, primarily because the overall bulk would still be there and it would set me back about $2k just for the body alone. If I went with Fuji and say, an XT1 or X-E2, I could get a competent setup for about the same cost.

The other thing is, if I went for it, I'd want to have similar DoF isolation on the wide end that I could get with the D700 and say, one of the 1.8 primes. So to me that means either the 16mm 1.4 or the 23mm 1.4. The 18/23/35mm f/2 would all be very close DoF-wise to what I can already get in m43 with the 15mm 1.7 or the 25mm 1.4.

Any thoughts on which of the 1.4 primes would be a good one to start with?

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:44 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

16 or 23mm are very good. This what they mean that it's hard to choose which one lens to buy first. But which ever wide lens you go with you should get the 35mm 1.4,especially on sale when it's $300. It's an old lens (funny saying that for a 5 year old lens) but it still has it where it counts, IQ. Also don't discount the 18-55mm lens for an all-around lens ("kit lens" is not how I would describe the lens). Either way I think you'll enjoy Fuji, just give it some time for the transition from the DSLR world.

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:51 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

Honestly. Do yourself a favour and stop looking at getting a *bargain* on an XT-1. It's a fine camera but it'll frustrate the shit out of you coming from Nikon and m43. Just bite the bullet and get the XT-2. It's a huge upgrade over the XT-1 in every conceivable way. It'll exceed what you have on both sides now. It's small enough to replace you m43 bodies and fast enough to easily outperform you current Nikon set up.

XT-2 with 18-55 kit.
16mm 1.4

That's all you need to get started. You won't *need* a second body (XT-1 and XE2). No only will the files blow you away but so will the camera performance. Just budget for a few extra batteries. Fuji real weak spot.

Gordon

p.s. the 23, 35, 56 and 90 are all stellar.

Oct 13, 2016 at 08:05 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

Not knocking Fuji-X or APS-C in the least, but it really doesn't give a ton of subject isolation with wider angle (unless you get fairly close to your subject)

I used to own the 16/1.4, which is a pretty nice lens (though a little big on some bodies) and while very cool because it can focus so close, at more "normal" distance there just isn't much subject isolation even wide open. Basically the same thing as m4/3, with lens like the 15/1.7. Again, cool lens, and it can give a nice OOF rendering if your really close, but for things like a full body length shot, doesn't really do it.

23/1.4 has a pretty nice OOF rendering and can get some isolation, but its still fairly minimal unless you again get closer.

Honestly, the "best" camera I've found for wider angle subject isolation is the Leica Q. Its a 28mm f1.7 on a FF sensor, and it can render a pretty nice subject separation even at longer distances. It honestly seems to have a focus transition that far exceeds what you would expect from a 28mm focal length, even on a FF sensor

Take a look at a couple of these reviews which have some images with the subject 10-15 feet from the camera, and yet there is still a nice separation and "pop"

http://www.alexcornell.com/leica-q-review/

http://craigmod.com/sputnik/leica_q/

This certainly isn't to say the Q is a perfect camera. I still have my GX8 for wide and tele with my much loved 75/1.8, though I did just buy the XT2 and the 90/2 thinking it might prove a better solution than m4/3 overall.... Likewise, there is the 56/1.2 which is awesome for Fuji X, and the 10-24 etc

Lots of cool lenses to give lots of additional shooting options over what I can do with the Q, BUT, given I have the what sounds like the same enjoyment of subjection isolation with wider focal lengths, and thus, the ability to capture more context of the environment, it my experience neither m4/3, nor Fuji X is going to really do what your after, because it doesn't for me.

Oct 13, 2016 at 08:13 PM
dalto

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

Up until recently I was had an m43 system and a FF system as well.

I picked up a Fuji x-t2 and like it a lot. That being said, it has replaced my FF system more than it has my m43 system. My m43 system is still smaller and lighter, especially at the telephoto end.

I find the Fuji to be an engaging platform to shoot with and at higher ISOs the x-t2 is substantially better than my e-m5ii IQ wise.

I wouldn't really say it is the best of both worlds, it is more of a compromise between the two.

Oct 13, 2016 at 08:37 PM
jasonkuo

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

TMaG82 wrote:
You'll read everywhere about the positives and glowing remarks about the Fuji system, and believe me there are a lot to like about it. I don't want this to come off as me sounding like a Fuji hater, I'm certainly not. I love what they're doing in terms of their system and the lenses they release are fantastic. But I'll list some of the negatives that I experienced and if none of them bother you, then I'm sure you'll get along great with it. Some will seem nit picky and they are and every camera has them. But again I'll
...Show more

Wow, thanks for the detailed and thoughtful reply on the plusses and minuses of the system!

TMaG82 wrote:
- No touch screen. This might not bother you at all. I like having a touch screen for quick AF point changes and image review. When it comes to till the screen versus fully articulated screen, Fuji seems to have done a good job with their 3 way tilt screen but some would've preferred a fully articulated screen.

I think the thing I might miss the most from m43 (apart from size) is the lack of touch screen to focus. I use that almost all the time in m43, and find it almost indispensable for rapid composition. With my D700, I often find myself fiddling with the focus point selector to get the right composition and avoid shifting the focus plane by using focus and recompose. Often by the time I've got it set, the people have moved and the moment is gone.

TMaG82 wrote:
- Dials are close but not quite there. The X-Pro 2 had the ISO dial which sometimes stuck with the shutter dial. The X-T2 did a nice job with the click to lock dials for ISO and shutter but they made the drive dial and metering dial harder to move and rotate. Which again for shooting quick video harder to do. If you're doing planned video interviews and shots then it won't bother you as much, if you're a dad trying to take quick clips of your kids on the playground then going back to shooting pictures it's not as
...Show more

Good to know that the tracking will best m43 (and from others on here, probably my D700 as well?). It does seem like the best of the bunch in APS-C.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:32 AM
jasonkuo

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

Alanu wrote:
Jason,

if you need a camera system capable of HSS/TTL metering flash you'll need to hold off on Fuji. I need to update my profile but I shoot both Canon and Fuji. Fuji has a huge void in the flash world which is a deal breaker for me for professional events documentation. My go to is still my Canon gear that I can tackle pretty much anything thrown at me.

I was deep into M43 but I'm no longer into it...... image quality was great in good light but I'm not always in ideal situations. When I use my primary camera
...Show more

Thanks for the tip! I almost never use flash (one event a year, max), so I think I'll be ok on that front. I don't use it at all in m43.

I was considering adding the Panny 12-35mm for the current sale price, but it looks like the 18-55mm might be an even more capable lens (more DoF control at the wide end too) and it's actually the same size and weight! That's surprising to me.

The X-Pro2 and XT2 are a big stretch on my budget at the moment - if I didn't go with one of the 24MP bodies, which would you choose of the 16MP? I've been eyeing the X-E2 because I can basically get it for a bargain basement price as an introduction to Fuji, but folks here seem to suggest biting the bullet and just jumping to the latest ones.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:41 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

I use two systems... and for me the Fujifilm system works better as an augmentation of my full frame system than as an only system. (Astute readers would point out that I could have written that the other way around: My full frame system works well as an augmentation of my Fujifilm system! ;-)

I use Fujifilm for fast and light photography — mostly street and travel, but with some event photography thrown in. I use a full frame DSLR system for my landscape photography and wildlife photography, along with that event stuff.

"Best of both worlds" is a bit of a misnomer, I think. A compromise is, by definition, a compromise. The 1.5x Fujifilm system fits between your MFT and full frame systems and it sort of splits the difference: very good image quality, but perhaps not with quite the same potential as the best full frame systems; small and light, but not quite so much as the MFT systems.

In the end, the question you probably need to ask is more like: "Does the Fujifilm system give me the image quality I need and the small size I want?" For many photographers the answer will be yes.

Dan

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:56 PM
jasonkuo

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

gdanmitchell wrote:
I use two systems... and for me the Fujifilm system works better as an augmentation of my full frame system than as an only system. (Astute readers would point out that I could have written that the other way around: My full frame system works well as an augmentation of my Fujifilm system! ;-)

I use Fujifilm for fast and light photography — mostly street and travel, but with some event photography thrown in. I use a full frame DSLR system for my landscape photography and wildlife photography, along with that event stuff.

"Best of both worlds" is a bit of
...Show more

Thanks Dan, those are good points indeed. Right now m43 gives me most of what I want image quality wise at precisely the size I want. So I suppose the tradeoff is the slightly increased size with Fuji APS-C to get that extra bit of image quality (shallower DoF possibilities and better low light, boost in DR). Also at the expense of the touch screen and IBIS. Hmmm...

Oct 14, 2016 at 03:06 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

jasonkuo wrote:
Thanks for the tip! I almost never use flash (one event a year, max), so I think I'll be ok on that front. I don't use it at all in m43.

I was considering adding the Panny 12-35mm for the current sale price, but it looks like the 18-55mm might be an even more capable lens (more DoF control at the wide end too) and it's actually the same size and weight! That's surprising to me.

The X-Pro2 and XT2 are a big stretch on my budget at the moment - if I didn't go with one of the 24MP bodies,
...Show more

The "older" X-Trans II cameras are perfectly good cameras and are still capable of taking fantastic images. That being said usability wise they're a far step below the current X-Pro 2 and X-T2, both in terms of AF performance and that simple little AF joystick. That joystick almost makes not having a touch screen acceptable. It's like eating a $10 steak because it's your only option. It tastes good and fills you up. But once you had that $50 steak, going back to the $10 steak just doesn't satisfy you like it used to anymore.

If you're looking to replace your systems as a main system only, then I would say to go for the newer 24MP ones. If you're looking for something to try out before you commit, then the older ones might do. But be prepared that if they don't do it for you, it might be the camera lacking the refinement of the newer bodies. And then you'll be spending even more to sell/trade an older X-E2 to buy what you probably should've in the first place.

Oct 15, 2016 at 04:56 AM
Alanu
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

jasonkuo wrote:
Thanks Dan, those are good points indeed. Right now m43 gives me most of what I want image quality wise at precisely the size I want. So I suppose the tradeoff is the slightly increased size with Fuji APS-C to get that extra bit of image quality (shallower DoF possibilities and better low light, boost in DR). Also at the expense of the touch screen and IBIS. Hmmm...

When I dove into the m43 world I loved the small form factor. IQ wise I thought it was great!!! Prints turned out great too even when I shot along side my Canon full frame. I never bought an external flash for my GH3 or EM5. My reality changed when I started to push the limits of the m43 sensor. Even with a PL25 f/1.4 in a gymnasium gathering Oly IBIS was useless to me and the IQ was unacceptable. This "Extra bit of image quality" you speak of from fuji with my X-T10 or X-E2 with 16mm f/1.4 prime was a GAME CHANGER in that same exact environment.

For shooting still I do not care that the fuji has touch screen. IBIS is nice but when you need shutter speed to stop action IBIS is a nice compliment but for me it's useless for my wide angle lenses/stills.

I no longer own M43 as the sensor tech has not changed drastically from the E-M5 era. If it reached closer to A6000/6300 or X-T10/X-E2 in noise performance i would have stuck with M43. I swapped my Gh3 duties and bought an 80D to replace it.

The 16mpx bodies are not fast focussing bodies like the M43 world. However Jason if you jump into X-T2 you'll have a beast of a camera that no M43 can remotely touch. This is my opinion as a former M43 user. Your subjects you shoot may not require high iso use of a camera. I have a much better comfort level lugging my 16mpx bodies even when I know I'll be encountering some low light use. I could never ever say the same for my bag of lenses and M43 bodies.

The rich files from the fuji bodies and inexpensive 18-55 "kit" lens (when purchased in a kit) gives similar richness of a full frame RAW file. I can't even say the same from my Canon 80D or M43 gear as far as lush files are concerned. The Panny 12-35 for M43 world is top notch and I would say the limiting factor is the M43 sensor and not the glass.

When i shoot my full frame gear I feel fully confident in the files I will produce both professionally and casual. When I leave it at home and lug my fuji gear for my family/casual application I DO NOT feel I will sacrifice image quality when shooting available light. I never had that "gut feel" as a photographer shooting my M43 gear.

After picking up a 55-200 lens (700 CDN) it produced images like what I'd get a Canon 70-200 f/4IS !!!!

Now after using Fuji I'd say going X-T2 would be a massive jump from any M43 gear. Later I'd suggest buying a preowned inexpensiv 16mpx body as a throw around spare or used for a secondary body.

Due to priorities I haven't picked up an X-T2 yet as Fuji is still my secondary system. I feel incomplete still without an X-T2 beast in my gearbag. However my X-T10 and X-E2 (with firmware 4) has worked great for casual events photography shooting dual bodies. I'll take my 16mpx fuji files any day over my new Canon 80D files!!!!

Just think I blindly bought into fuji......best enjoyable experience that has been a pleasant surprise!!

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:22 AM
jasonkuo

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Consolidate from m43/FF to Fuji? Best of both worlds?

Just revisiting this thread - I took the plunge. A used Fuji X-T2, 16mm f/1.4, and 23mm f/2 are on the way! Searching for a 50mm f/2 to complete the trio (and perhaps one day a 90mm f/2).

Thanks again for everyone who chimed in!

Feb 12, 2018 at 02:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.