New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Nashville cityscape

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nashville cityscape

I posted these on the City forum but they are too busy to respond. These are my first nightscapes so I was interested in your opinion. Is the processing too much? Thanks, Jim

Oct 12, 2016 at 02:36 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nashville cityscape

Jim,
Lousy monitor right now so I can't comment on noise, for example.
1. Nice colors, comp. Needs more correction of verticals, especially noticeable left side and tallest structures. I'd clone out the lens flares
2. Nicely done. A bit of lean on the right, but not as noticeable as distortion in #1
3. My favorite, subject-wise. The distortion bothers me less than the other too but still should be corrected, IMO. Again the lens flares, quite numerous in this one.

In all, nice richly saturated colors and I like the starburst effects captured.

Scott

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:22 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nashville cityscape

+1 @ everything Scott commented on. I would add that I think #1 & #2 feel a little too tight on the top.

I don't think your processing is too much at all. They all look nice and rich. I might even drop the black point just a smidgen especially on #1.

Kudos for getting out there any trying new things! This is something on my "to do" list as well.

Dave

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:30 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nashville cityscape

sbeme wrote:
Jim,
Lousy monitor right now so I can't comment on noise, for example.
1. Nice colors, comp. Needs more correction of verticals, especially noticeable left side and tallest structures. I'd clone out the lens flares
2. Nicely done. A bit of lean on the right, but not as noticeable as distortion in #1
3. My favorite, subject-wise. The distortion bothers me less than the other too but still should be corrected, IMO. Again the lens flares, quite numerous in this one.

In all, nice richly saturated colors and I like the starburst effects captured.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I was lazy and did not clean my lens before shooting,hence spots. ~ Jim

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:40 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nashville cityscape

lighthound wrote:
+1 @ everything Scott commented on. I would add that I think #1 & #2 feel a little too tight on the top.

I don't think your processing is too much at all. They all look nice and rich. I might even drop the black point just a smidgen especially on #1.

Kudos for getting out there any trying new things! This is something on my "to do" list as well.

Dave

Dave; I was limited by my lens on this trip (24-85 Zeiss) And cut the top off numerous shoots. Eyes must be getting old, or I was just too lazy to pay attention. Thank you for the input. My next challenge is to continue on nightscapes, then stars, star trails, and the milky way. ~ Jim

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nashville cityscape

Wow. Big Blobs! Makes more sense than lens flare. I don't do much landscape so don't shoot stopped down much. So I am not used to seeing this. (and I finally cleaned my lenses 2 days ago!)

Scott

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:57 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nashville cityscape

oldrattler wrote:
Dave; I was limited by my lens on this trip (24-85 Zeiss) And cut the top off numerous shoots. Eyes must be getting old, or I was just too lazy to pay attention. Thank you for the input. My next challenge is to continue on nightscapes, then stars, star trails, and the milky way. ~ Jim

Well then you and I need to hook up because I like to cut the bottom off of my images and between the two of us we might be able to get one full image!

You'll want a fast wide lens (2.8 or better) for stars and MW type shots. I'm sure you have that covered already though.

Dave

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:14 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nashville cityscape

sbeme wrote:
Wow. Big Blobs! Makes more sense than lens flare. I don't do much landscape so don't shoot stopped down much. So I am not used to seeing this. (and I finally cleaned my lenses 2 days ago!)

Scott

Scott; One of my biggest problems is lack of preparation. I know lens have to be cleaned but I seldom do. Or I forget I am setup for something other than what I am shooting. I need to pay attention to details, such as a level horizon. Jim

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:31 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nashville cityscape

lighthound wrote:
Well then you and I need to hook up because I like to cut the bottom off of my images and between the two of us we might be able to get one full image!

You'll want a fast wide lens (2.8 or better) for stars and MW type shots. I'm sure you have that covered already though.

Dave

Dave; I think you have a good idea about cutting off our images. I currently do not own a wide, Fast glass. I have to buy something. Jim

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:36 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nashville cityscape

oldrattler wrote:
Dave; I think you have a good idea about cutting off our images. I currently do not own a wide, Fast glass. I have to buy something. Jim

I bought the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for the job. I'm no expert but it does a nice job from what I can see.
It's highly reviewed for night work and it's cheap!

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:54 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password