Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Getting Ready Shots

bipock
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Getting Ready Shots

Anybody else really hate the getting ready shots at times? A great venue with lively bunch makes them fun, but smaller parties that are pretty low key lead to some boring shots. Angles don't help, close ups don't help.

How do you make them interesting and fun?

Oct 12, 2016 at 02:29 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Getting Ready Shots

To me the three most boring things on the planet are ...

1. Paint drying
2. Televised Golf matches
3. Wedding prep photos

I avoid spending too much time in the room. I prefer to take timeless portraits of family + friends that are already dressed. What's more valuable a perfect portrait of the bride's grandparents or another backlit shot of hairspray flying?

Oct 12, 2016 at 02:52 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Getting Ready Shots

bipock, I think TwoMann makes boring prep photos fun with Canon wireless flash and MagMods. They're the only inspiration I can think of. Check their blog posts out.

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:46 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Getting Ready Shots

Lee and I have a similar list except golf is #1, unless its Robin Williams talking about the sport.

That said I don't hate getting ready. My trick is not to try and make them fun or interesting. I let things unfold and make sure to be ready for key moments of genuine feels. I adapt to the personalities of the people in the room. It's different each time. It's mostly a great opportunity to get to know the bridal party, chat a little with them, so they get more comfortable with you and act more natural down the line. Makes my job easier. Makes the photos more authentic and natural. Win-win for everyone.

The only advice I offer is to have some food and bubbly around, and a comment about light and how we might have to move furniture around. Otherwise I do not direct (much).

You can highlight personalities or relationships...

http://www.fk7photo.com/fm/fmprep1.jpg

Capture tender mother-daughter moments...

http://www.fk7photo.com/fm/fmprep2.jpg

http://www.fk7photo.com/fm/fmprep3.jpg

And sometimes you get a couple who are game for anything, including having their bare ass photographed in the shower.

http://www.fk7photo.com/fm/fmprep4.jpg

It probably helps if you try to have fun yourself

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:47 PM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Getting Ready Shots

The mother daughter moments I don't really consider the "getting ready" part. I'm thinking make up/hair. After that, I'm good to go. But really, how pictures you you want of your bridesmaids getting their faces painted and hair sprayed? Same for the bride - how many does she want of her?

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:37 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Getting Ready Shots

Hilariously boring, I'd say getting ready is on par with candids during cocktail hour.

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:57 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Getting Ready Shots

I'll choose 'boring' getting ready coverage ANY day over coverage of the same 5 drunk people on the dance floor.
But, in all seriousness, when it comes to hair & makeup we snap a few of those, then usually sneak out to capture the ceremony & reception decor shots (if ready) then sneak back in and take some more getting ready shots. It's not at all like we're in the room with them for 2 hours straight.

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:08 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Getting Ready Shots

Getting ready is probably my favorite part of the day to shoot

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:13 PM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Getting Ready Shots

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Getting ready is probably my favorite part of the day to shoot

You know you can't come on here and say that with no backup. Share how you handle it.

I do the sneak in/out for other detail shots.

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:20 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Getting Ready Shots

I used to love the getting ready (past tense since I no longer shoot weddings) - some of the best spontaneous moments and emotions often happened then.

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jason Ferber

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Getting Ready Shots

I'm with Tony on this one, LOVE the getting ready time.

Back it up? It is a relaxed, low pressure time where you can take your time to photograph details, experiment with different angles, light, shadow, colour etc, and chat with some pretty girls to boot! It is the perfect opportunity to get to know everybody and get them more comfortable with you and the camera, and hash out any last minute details or location plans with the bride (we all know things often change day of).

How I handle it? Capture photos of the girls hanging out, drinking bubbly, laughing and interacting. Wide shots, encompassing the whole room, looking for the angles that best tell the story of the day. Close up details of the bride getting lips, eyes, etc done. Photos of the bride checking herself out in the mirror, putting on her earrings in the mirror. I take some time to get shots of the dress, details like rings (if they're there), any jewellery or important things the bride may be wearing, flowers etc. I also count getting ready as putting the dress on, and all the fussing that accompanies that. Which make some great shots!

The last wedding I did the girls all had custom monogrammed shirts they were wearing (basically a long man's dress shirt, then just underwear). They wanted to jump on the bed and have a pillow fight - definitely obliged that!

Honestly some of my favourite photos come out of this time. I will try and post some examples later if I get a chance!

The only part that isn't great is typically the hair, because none of them have their makeup on yet and they will all hate those photos. Which is why I try not start until it's makeup time.

Oct 12, 2016 at 07:18 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Getting Ready Shots

Depends what getting ready means?
In the midwest it was always a crap salon and a rather boring/ stressful time.
In Colorado we do all kinds of fun stuff and it is much more laid back.
The best weddings are the ones where we can really capture peoples personalities. I LOVE doing super long extended wedding weekends because I can capture people away from the stress of the actual wedding day.
Take Tony Hart's wedding as an example:
http://www.dougtreiber.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/TCwed5-3.jpg
http://www.dougtreiber.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/TCwed7-3.jpg
http://www.dougtreiber.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/TCwed8-3.jpg
http://www.dougtreiber.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/TCwed35-2.jpg
Perhaps one of my favorite actual "getting ready" shots. The French hair artist and dress maker were so tickled by Tony's wife looking amazing that they were literally dancing around. For me when I can see each persons personality in a photo I have succeeded.
http://www.dougtreiber.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/TCwed44-2.jpg

Oct 12, 2016 at 07:28 PM
jasonhupe
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Getting Ready Shots

I used to do all day weddings, from start of prep to finish of reception. While some weddings the prep was awesome in a great venue, killer light and setting, and great moments, more times than not it would be eight girls in a single room with absolutely no room, no light, and very little chances for anything decent.
Now I start at eight hours which usually get the end of prep, dressing, etc. What I do miss is having time to get to know people, chitchat with family, and by the time formals came around I would try to use some info to make a joke and felt like part of the group since I have been there most of the day. These days I only really second and just show up and shoot with basically zero knowledge of the couple or details and no time build any rapport with them.
But yeah, small room, too many people and no light, makes for a rough, rough time sometimes.

Oct 12, 2016 at 07:28 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Getting Ready Shots

Try "loving" getting ready shots when every weekend you have 30min to photograph of a bunch of totally disinterested and hungover groomsmen.

Or 60min of getting ready with the bridesmaids who are always just hovered around a table eating a veggie platter and on their phone not talking to each other.

Totally.Mind-numbingly.Boring.

Oct 12, 2016 at 08:32 PM
ayjayy
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Getting Ready Shots

It depends on the group and the room. But generally I enjoy it. Most laid back part of the day gives you time to experiment and be creative. Although with the wrong group it can be brutal.

Oct 12, 2016 at 08:38 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Getting Ready Shots

You job is to get the pictures for the bride and not to have a good time. That includes detail shots of the dress and her jewelry and her shoes, etc. as well as the bride's interactions with her bridesmaids, siblings, parents, etc.

Oct 12, 2016 at 08:57 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Getting Ready Shots

Getting ready photos are probably my favorite part of the day.

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:44 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Getting Ready Shots

ZachOly wrote:
Try "loving" getting ready shots when every weekend you have 30min to photograph of a bunch of totally disinterested and hungover groomsmen.

Or 60min of getting ready with the bridesmaids who are always just hovered around a table eating a veggie platter and on their phone not talking to each other.

Totally.Mind-numbingly.Boring.

Sounds like a personal problem!!!!! .

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:28 AM
chrisfphotog
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Getting Ready Shots

I've been trying to force myself to try new things when getting ready is going on apart from focusing more on tender moments. Using creative gels, macro stuff, creative reflections, ect. Grab some standard stuff then have fun and go crazy.

Plus, more importantly, weddings for me are about moments. You never know when the bride will give you an amazing expression or laugh, regardless if her eyeliner is finished or not

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:38 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Getting Ready Shots

It's like anything, it is what you make it.

Go in thinking it's boring and you just want to get it over with and that's exactly what the shots will reflect and probably how the people and opportunities you see will be.

I don't mind getting ready shots in the least. I can get the groom more interested in those than anything else. I shoot a lot of underwear and glamour type shots sometimes even topless depending on the bride and sometimes bridesmaids.
If they are confident enough with that, you can bet they are going to be relaxed the rest of the day. Some will put them in the album, many will make up a small folio just for him.

I think a lot of my brides get over the fluffy, white lovvy dovvy pure and innocent thing and want to look hot and sexy as well. Much like doing maternity shots.
Shooting like this quickly builds a rapport and trust that works in favour of getting better pics for the rest of the day.

I remember one lab owner telling me he was amazed with the before and after the wedding shots I got and how no other shooter ever sent them anything like I did.
I told him, every girl wants to look sexy as well as pretty on her wedding day, maybe the other guys just don't understand that or their clients trust them enough.
Many of my clients I book the wedding after they came to me as glamour clients anyways so nothing we haven't done before.

I also look at the sentimental side. If its the house where the girl grew up, I look for the height markings on that door frame from when she was 4 Yo, the swing she spent countless hours on.... play on the sentiment of the girl becoming a wife. You know the parents are going to buy that in droves and never had a bride knock them back either.

If the guys are fit, do some underwear only shots to give the girls some eye candy. Every girl wants to show off her hot new husband and make all the friends jealous so those ones ALWAYS make the album. Shoot the guy in the shed with his hotted up car or bike. Capture some snippets of the life they are moving on from but hold strong sentiments. Shots with the guys with his last beer as a single man, the emotions that can come from just telling them that one thing...... Anything but boring in my book.
It sure as hell doesn't' just have to be about getting ready or hairspray or whatever.

We all tout how creative and Imaginative we are, I reckon anyone that can't make anything out of the myriad of opportunities of getting ready, be it at home or a hotel, isn't as creative and clever as they might believe.

To me, the boring part of the wedding and I'm at a loss as to what people see in it is dancing shots.
To me, that's more a video thing. I can shoot them getting pissed, looking like crap and laughing and carrying on at any party. I just understand why shooters make such a big deal of it and take soooo many pics of this part of the day.

I have tried really covering dancing so many times but the end result was the couple put bugger all of them in the album and they just didn't have the importance of pretty much everything else. If they have a Video, they will always tell me they don't need the pics because they have it on video. I can't argue with them that video is the better medium for that part of the Day.

I tend to prioritise what I shoot in what I sell.
For me, the before the wedding shots outsell dancing by about 20:1 so it's not just my proclivity for one over the other, it's what the customers feel important enough to spend their hard earned on.

Oct 13, 2016 at 01:32 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password