New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Trade X-Pro2 for Df?

Sgt_Gatr
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trade X-Pro2 for Df?

I posted this question in the Fuji forum so I hope I am not breaking any rules posting it here also. Just want to get some opinions from the other side of the field.

For some reason I have always wanted a Df. Would anyone here trade an X-Pro2 for one? If so, why? I am really considering it or possibly selling the X-Pro2 and buying one. I only have the 35mm f2 so it is not like I am heavily invested in Fuji yet.

Not trolling but just wanting some opinions.

Thanks

Oct 12, 2016 at 01:31 PM
F1Addict

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trade X-Pro2 for Df?

I was looking for a lighter setup than my normal Nikons, so I played around with an X-Pro1 for about a year. It was a nice camera, and other than the files it produced, it never blew me away. I ended up selling it to fund a Df.

The Df is slightly larger than the X-Pro, but I love Df so much more. I've had it almost a year, and can't see myself parting with it. The look and feel of the camera make it very special.

I also have an RX100iv that I bought as a carry around, pocket camera. I think I've used it 2 or 3 times. I always have the Df with me. Might be time to sell the Sony as well, lol.

Oct 12, 2016 at 01:48 PM
cope07
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trade X-Pro2 for Df?

I know the Df pulls at your heartstrings, but I think the x-pro2 is a better camera unless you're routinely shooting in very low light. I've used a Df and own an X-Pro2. I found the grip on the Df (matched with the thick body) to be very comfortable (even with modest lenses). The film bodies (and the xpro2 to some extent) get away with minimal grips because the body is thin, the Df is not thin.

More pros for the xpro2: AF thumb stick (waaay better than the Nikon D pad for AF selection), EVF if you like that, quieter, obscenely better AF coverage, smaller, lighter, smaller lenses, static AF accuracy of Mirrorless cameras, easier MF., 2 card slots

Slightly more contentious opinion of mine. I think the Xpro2 is a more solid, better weatherproofed body than most Nikons (certainly better seals than my D750).

Pros for the Df: Nikon AF lens range (with some unique options like the 1.8G series, 58 1.4, 105 1.4, Sigma's Arts, and Tamron's SP's), Nikon's MF range if that's how you want to roll, TTL optical viewfinder, better battery, rubber exterior material instead of cheesy fake leather (although that viewfinder hump leatherette..........questionable),

I agree that the Df seems really appealing at a distance, but in the real world I found it a huge let down

Oct 12, 2016 at 02:54 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trade X-Pro2 for Df?

If you've never shot a Df, I suggest you hold or play with one at the store or rent one. I've played with several Fuji mirrorless and I much prefer the manual, hands-on approach of the Df - especially when coupled with vintage Nikon glass. I love turning (and hearing) the clicks of the knobs, and how it just gets you involved with image making. The battery lasts a very long time - I can go for 2-3 days with a single charge. Above all, it's just a beautifully-designed camera and I'll never get tired of looking at it.

Sorry if I didn't really answer your question, but I'll never trade my Df for any mirrorless camera.

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sgt_Gatr
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trade X-Pro2 for Df?

Joseph. wrote:
If you've never shot a Df, I suggest you hold or play with one at the store or rent one. I've played with several Fuji mirrorless and I much prefer the manual, hands-on approach of the Df - especially when coupled with vintage Nikon glass. I love turning (and hearing) the clicks of the knobs, and how it just gets you involved with image making. The battery lasts a very long time - I can go for 2-3 days with a single charge. Above all, it's just a beautifully-designed camera and I'll never get tired of looking at it.

Sorry
...Show more

I have played with a friends Df a few times. I agree about living the controls. The x-pro2 has the same types of controls just a little differently latex out. I am leaning towards the Df. The on I am looking at has under 100 actuations and is $1,970. It is a Japanese model so I'm not sure how a repair would or could work.

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:28 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trade X-Pro2 for Df?

Sgt_Gatr wrote:
I have played with a friends Df a few times. I agree about living the controls. The x-pro2 has the same types of controls just a little differently latex out. I am leaning towards the Df. The on I am looking at has under 100 actuations and is $1,970. It is a Japanese model so I'm not sure how a repair would or could work.

I see you are getting rid of the DF...

Why didn't you like it??

Loving mine...

http://donzo98.easycgi.com/TestImages2/Grip2.JPG

Oct 16, 2016 at 09:13 PM
webmstrk9
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trade X-Pro2 for Df?

The Fuji system is nice. I thought about the XT2 and XPro2, but remembering how an EVF behaves and performance, I went with the DF. This same battery is used in the 'consumer' bodies such as the d3*00 and d5*00 series.

Another reason I stayed with the Nikon ship is that I have pre-AI lenses which mounts and performs wonderfully.

Oct 16, 2016 at 09:31 PM
Sgt_Gatr
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trade X-Pro2 for Df?

I still have it and I actually love it. The X-Pro2 is being sold today. Now I need to collect some more lenses haha.

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:29 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password