Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

dills84
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

dbehrens wrote:
Reading the rant and the need it seems to me that the answer can be found in the Fuji XT-2!

It's a beautiful camera but a little pricey and bulky. I purchased my A6300 used for around $800.

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:36 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

I think that the Sony A6500 is starting to look expensive considering which APS-C lenses Sony offers for it.

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:23 PM
dills84
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

bjornthun wrote:
I think that the Sony A6500 is starting to look expensive considering which APS-C lenses Sony offers for it.

I agree. Sure you can buy full frame G master glass for it but whats the point of shooting APS-C at that point? Just get an A7. I buy APS-C because I want my whole kit to be compact... I even toyed with going to Micro 4/3 to get super tiny fast glass... but I couldnt deal with the shortcomings.

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:25 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

dills84 wrote:
I agree. Sure you can buy full frame G master glass for it but whats the point of shooting APS-C at that point? Just get an A7. I buy APS-C because I want my whole kit to be compact... I even toyed with going to Micro 4/3 to get super tiny fast glass... but I couldnt deal with the shortcomings.

M43 has a very good selection of high quality lenses, and so far the Sony A6500 is the only camera with IBIS, which all Olympus cameras have regardless of price.

Oct 12, 2016 at 07:05 PM
dills84
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

bjornthun wrote:
M43 has a very good selection of high quality lenses, and so far the Sony A6500 is the only camera with IBIS, which all Olympus cameras have regardless of price.

Still inherit the issues I have with M43 which is low light capabilities and subject isolation with shallow DOF. Even with some crazy fast glass it's hard to seperate background from subject unless you shoot really long.

Oct 12, 2016 at 07:37 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

My solution is to get comparatively small lenses for Sony full frame, i.e. 28/2 FE, 50/1.8 FE, and I will be looking into the new 50/2.8 FE macro, when it becomes available in my country.

I have commenced selling everything APS-C and will shoot full frame only, going forward.

Oct 12, 2016 at 08:07 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

bjornthun wrote:
I would never contemplate switching from Fujifilm APS-C to Sony APS-C, if given such a choice.

+100.

That switch simply makes no sense whatsoever unless one *really* needed video options or planned to go the FF route eventually.

Perhaps better just to get a cheap A6000 and kit lens only for video (or whatever body does what you need it to do, video-wise) and keep the Fuji setup for stills.

Or, get the XT2 (but I think Sony's video still surpasses this? I'm not much of a video person myself).

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:08 PM
Princeps

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

cputeq wrote:
+100.

That switch simply makes no sense whatsoever unless one *really* needed video options or planned to go the FF route eventually.

Perhaps better just to get a cheap A6000 and kit lens only for video (or whatever body does what you need it to do, video-wise) and keep the Fuji setup for stills.

Or, get the XT2 (but I think Sony's video still surpasses this? I'm not much of a video person myself).

I wouldn't say there is no reason, I think Sony APS-C still has some advantages over Fuji for stills:

1) stabilized primes (35, 50)
2) IBIS, coming shortly
3) better usability with alt glass
4) smaller and lighter bodies
5) consistent 49 mm filter size for many lenses
6) generally lower cost of bodies and lenses
7) xtrans vs bayer
8) until the latest generation of Fujis, sensor resolution and modernity
9) autofocus (debatable)

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:42 PM
chiron
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

I am now building a strong set of primes that I can use on either the 6300/6500 or on a FF. I have the Batis 25 and 85, the Sony 28 f/2, the Sony 90 f/2.8 G Macro, and the Sony 55 F/1.8. When my credit card cools down, I'm going to get the Batis 18.

All of these lenses are truly excellent.

Originally, I was just going to use my Sony for travel and light kit, and in those days I acquired a 10-18, 16-70 (which I like very much for travel), and an 18-105. These are all also excellent.

If you want something longer, there is the Sony 70-300, which is an FE lens yielding a 450 FOV on the 6300, with OSS.

I think there are an awful lot of good lenses to choose from. And if you are sticking with APS-C, the 6500 will now give you stabilization with all of them.

Oct 13, 2016 at 01:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

matthewm
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

I use the 24/1.8 and 55/1.8 with my a6000 and they're both stellar. I also just got the 18-105 as a general all purpose lens and it's excellent as well.

The 90/2.8 Macro is a stunner (although I no longer have that lens).

I had the 16/35/50 previously and while the 16 left a bit to be desired (was fine as a point and shoot lens for snapshots and what not), the 35 and 50 were excellent. Looks to me like you either missed focus or got a bad copy.

I will admit that I also came from Fuji a while back and I miss a couple of their lenses but the 24 and 55 Zeiss lenses in Sony land are so hard to beat.

Oct 13, 2016 at 01:38 AM
supra28

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

Funny, I am highly contemplating switching to a Fuji from an a6000 after 10m use. I have the kit 16-50mm and 50 1.8., and several other adapted canon Ef and fd lenses. My favorite is the Canon FD 50mm 1.4. I really like the XT1's camera layout and can't seem to get use to Sony's menu system and also my preference is to manual focus, and the evf on the A6000 is pretty mediocre. I'm undecided between the XT1, xT2, or continue down the Sony path with an A7ii. Maybe some of the Zeiss lens suggestions may produce the pop you're looking for.

Oct 13, 2016 at 02:29 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

As others have mentioned, Sony's effort in lenses focuses on FE, whereas Fuji's APS-C system is the flagship (ignoring MF, which is more niche than flagship).

So, when looking at Sony lenses, don't get totally hung-up on avoiding FE lenses. The 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8 (but slow focus), 55mm f/1.8 (wipes the floor with Fuji equiv, but pricey), 50mm f/2.8, are all quite worth considering even on APS-C.

The Rokinon 12mm f/2 is a total gem. Cheap, and sharp as tacks-- and great for video as a manual focus, manual aperture lens.

Part of the look difference may also come down to how the two sensors CFAs and respective interpolation impact final image. Fuji XT, at portrait distances, looks like it resolves more detail than it does-- because there's a sort of detail/edge haloing/contrast coupled with a positive artifacting (remember genuine fractals for uprezzing? artifacts, in the right shape, size, form look like detail) that looks like detail for the right subjects (and falls apart for others). You might describe this look as popping. And I agree, for certain subjects it looks great.

The image of the boy looks like a focus issue-- plane of focus isn't on the kid. Technique?

Oct 13, 2016 at 06:40 AM
dills84
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

justruss wrote:
As others have mentioned, Sony's effort in lenses focuses on FE, whereas Fuji's APS-C system is the flagship (ignoring MF, which is more niche than flagship).

So, when looking at Sony lenses, don't get totally hung-up on avoiding FE lenses. The 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8 (but slow focus), 55mm f/1.8 (wipes the floor with Fuji equiv, but pricey), 50mm f/2.8, are all quite worth considering even on APS-C.

The Rokinon 12mm f/2 is a total gem. Cheap, and sharp as tacks-- and great for video as a manual focus, manual aperture lens.

Part of the look difference may also come
...Show more

Thanks . Yeah the focus wasn't perfect on that shot. I'll have to play with my AF settings as I'm not used to it.

The FE lenses seem nice but I hate to put FF glass on a crop body. When size and weight are big factors carrying around the unused portions and bulk of FF glass is not an option.

Oct 13, 2016 at 09:59 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

Princeps wrote:
I wouldn't say there is no reason, I think Sony APS-C still has some advantages over Fuji for stills:

1) stabilized primes (35, 50)
2) IBIS, coming shortly
3) better usability with alt glass
4) smaller and lighter bodies
5) consistent 49 mm filter size for many lenses
6) generally lower cost of bodies and lenses
7) xtrans vs bayer
8) until the latest generation of Fujis, sensor resolution and modernity
9) autofocus (debatable)

You have a good list here and I'll readily concede all of those except 7) and 9) as advantages (assuming Xpro2 and XT2) -- as Xtrans honestly seems to be finally hitting a good stride at 24MP and the AF (at least on my XT2) is pretty darn good...not Panasonic m43 good (AF-S), but pretty darn good (better in AF-C).

It's very interesting to see how it depends on one's wants and needs, obviously. For instance, I didn't consider any of your points as pros (though I can recognize them as such) for the Sony system because they don't appeal to me (even IBIS..I mean, yeah, nice to have, just like a fully-capable touch pad LCD, etc. but I don't put it on my list of 'must haves').

I don't count stabilized lenses as a 'pro' until I get to around 100mm or so, because they're either so wide it doesn't usually matter (like my 10-24) or I have to shoot fast enough anyway that IS doesn't usually matter (like with a 56mm). I wish the Fuji 90mm had stability, but Fuji's said they wanted ultimate IQ (which they claim the IS group degrades) and I'd say they hit their mark, the IQ is amazing on that lens).

And as for alt glass - Fuji's lineup is so good, I don't care about alt glass but I certainly see the appeal in some of it.

Anyway, thanks for the different perspective -- again things I don't consider to be opinion swayers (from my perspective) but certainly things someone else may find very important.

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:03 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

dills84 wrote:
Thanks . Yeah the focus wasn't perfect on that shot. I'll have to play with my AF settings as I'm not used to it.

The FE lenses seem nice but I hate to put FF glass on a crop body. When size and weight are big factors carrying around the unused portions and bulk of FF glass is not an option.

The 24/55 combo I mentioned above (one is an APS-C lens and the other FF) are pretty small. Especially considering the dynamite performance of each lens, especially that 55 (the 55 is almost identical in size to the 24). I realize the 55 is an FE lens, but I swear they were made to be a pair. They look identical, render the same, have the same great color and contrast, operate the same, use the same filter size, etc. Definitely brothers in the line up and it shows.

The 28/2 FE lens is an excellent performer as well and is about the same size as the 55 and the 50/1.8 is another great performer, again at a relatively small size. The 35mm f/2.8 Zeiss is another very small, lens that would pair beautifully with a crop body (albeit with the loss of OSS as compared to the 35/1.8). Any of the aforementioned lenses (28/35/50/55) would transfer over to a full-frame body should you choose that route in the future.

When I switched to Sony from Fuji, I was worried about missing one lens in particular the 14mm f/2.8. And I was right. Sony has failed to scratch that itch for me. The 10-18 is a good performer, but it's pretty pricey and comes in at f/4. The Rokinon 12/2 is nice, but it's manual focus. For whatever reason, Sony has decided that the little 16/2.8 pancake is the only moderately wide, small, fast lens we're going to get from them in a prime. I'd love to see a 14 or 15mm lens at f/2.8 the same size or smaller than the Fuji 14/2.8.

It seems Sony has decided to abandon the APS-C lens lineup in favor of the FE lens lineup while still pushing APS-C bodies (A6000, 6300, 6500, etc.). It's a shame, really, because Sony's APS-C cameras are excellent. The 24mp sensor is a rock star and the video capabilities are all there. If they could rework a few lenses in their current lineup and give us a wide and a short tele (135 equiv.), they'd have a really nice, very rounded crop-sensor lineup to pair with their full-frame siblings.

As it is now, though, you'll have to either settle for the limited APS-C lineup or go with FE lenses on the off-chance you'll go full frame at some point.

Not all FE lenses are huge, though, so explore some of those options. Once you get into the GM and 1.4's, they get massive, but otherwise are fairly compact.

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:07 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

The problem isn't long lenses for Sony APS-C, it's primes shorter than 24mm. There you have only the Touit 12/2.8. The only good native zoom is the 10-18/4, the 16-70/4 is variable in performance. None of the small FE lenses solves the need for APS-C wide angles and FE zooms get rather big on APS-C.

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:38 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

bjornthun wrote:
The problem isn't long lenses for Sony APS-C, it's primes shorter than 24mm. There you have only the Touit 12/2.8. The only good native zoom is the 10-18/4, the 16-70/4 is variable in performance. None of the small FE lenses solves the need for APS-C wide angles and FE zooms get rather big on APS-C.

Definitely agree... Thus my wish for something in the 12-15mm range from Sony that isn't massive, has autofocus and is faster than f/4.

I took some beautiful shots of the night sky in Iceland in April of this year with my XT1 and 14/2.8. Would love to replicate that setup with the video prowess of the A6X00.

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:50 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password