Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

dills84
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

Hi All, I'm a Fuji user turned Sony. I came from an XT1 with 18-55 F2.8-4, 35 1.4, and 23 1.4... which were all absolutely incredible lenses. I also used an adapted Canon FD 50mm F1.4 as a manual portrait lens that did the job but was a little soft wide open.

I moved to a Sony system because I wanted something more versatile in the event that I wanted to shoot some video for whatever reason. I know I'd be giving up some IQ for switching systems but I had hopes it would be negligible.... I'm not THAT big of a pixel peeper

I moved to a Sony A6300 with the 35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, 16mm 2.8, and kit lens.

Now, I expected the kit lens to be pretty junky. And it is... but I figured I'd hang onto it for family gatherings when a zoom is totally necessary and I didn't want to carry around a big honkin' lens.

The 16mm 2.8 is a prime, for lack of a better word. At f2.8 the images are unusable, the corners are total mush and the center is soft too. It's barely usable even stopped down to F5.6... OK it's cheap. I guess I can understand that... so I'll return it.

The 35mm 1.8 is also very soft at f1.8... it's usable but only just barely. I believe my old Canon FD glass is sharper (and also about $400 cheaper). It sharpens up a bit at f2.8 but it's still nothing to brag about... the Fuji 35 I had absolutley blew this thing out of the water.

The 50mm 1.8 is the sharpest of the bunch... I'm happy with it for the money I spent.

Can someone help me? I want a fast (2.8ish) wide angle, a fast "normal" (1.8 or below), and I want them to be compact. All of the high end glass I'm seeing from sony is full frame and bulky. Are there any other options that are worth while? Or is soft glass just a known caveat of going Sony APS-C?

Sorry for my rant... I just want the perrrrfect cameraaaa

Oct 12, 2016 at 01:25 PM
MikeEvangelist
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

The Zeiss Touit 12mm and 32mm are nice, although pricey, options for the A6300.

Here's one with the 12mm on an a6000.
https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5796/29649568663_0aeeb491da_b.jpg

Full size version here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeevangelist/29649568663/sizes/o/

Oct 12, 2016 at 01:48 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

There are four really good lenses for Sony APS-C:
Zeiss Touit 12/2.8
Sony Zeiss 24/1.8
Zeiss Touit 32/1.8
Zeiss Touit 50/2.8 Macro

Therein lies the problem; all the holes in the lineup. Notice I didn't mention any zoom lens, because I like none of the Sony APS-C E mount zooms from Sony. The full frame system represents a transformation from this with many good lenses to choose from.

I would never contemplate switching from Fujifilm APS-C to Sony APS-C, if given such a choice.

Edited on Oct 12, 2016 at 01:54 PM · View previous versions

Oct 12, 2016 at 01:49 PM
aeonsim
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

For APS-C try the Zeiss Touit lenses 12mm f2.8, 32mm f1.8 and 50mm f2.8 or the Sigma e-mount series 30mm F1.4 Art, or 19mm, 30mm, 60mm (f2.8's).

The Sony Zeiss E-mount 24mm F1.8 seems fairly popular as well.

Oct 12, 2016 at 01:51 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

The Sigma lenses made for E mount are ok or with adapter Sony's A mount cropped lenses are excellent (2 kit lenses 16/80 and 16/50 f2.8 are worth looking at, though large)

Oct 12, 2016 at 01:55 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

The Sigma 30mm and 60mm can be included among good lenses. However, the Sigma 19mm is only just acceptable. The Sigma 60mm is really good.

Oct 12, 2016 at 01:58 PM
aeonsim
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

For zooms the Sony 10-18mm F4 seems rather popular with most people, while the Sony Zeiss 16-70mm seems to get a mixed reception some like it others dislike it.

Oct 12, 2016 at 02:03 PM
joychris
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

The 18-105 is a good standard zoom. The 10-18 is a nice UWA, I love it. The new FE 50mm macro looks great and its half the price of the Touit. As mentioned, the 24/1.8 is awesome. The new Sigma 30/1.4 looks really good. I've seen lots of praise for the Touit 32/1.8, but that FL is no man's land for me so I've never used it. The FE 55/1.8 is flat out amazing, and its really compact, makes a great short tele on the aps-c bodies. I use my Batis 85 on aps-c all the time.

The Touit 12/2.8 sounds like your best option if you want a 2.8 UWA, though I prefer the 10-18 for the convenience of a zoom and its wider. For a fast normal the 24/1.8, Sig Art 30/1.4 and FE 55/1.8 are the best options, IMO. Some of the others like the Sigma 19/30/60 are great performers if you're looking for budget options.

Oct 12, 2016 at 02:37 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

I can't help but wonder if you've got a bad copy of the Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS? Or if some of what you're seeing is the difference between 16 MP and 24 MP? I wouldn't expect that the E 35mm is going to be as sharp wide open on 24 MP as the Fuji is on 16 MP.

The E 35mm isn't a bad lens and is generally regarded well. In the wide open comparisons I've seen. the Sony and Fuji 35mm f/1.4 have similar performance, with the Fuji being marginally sharper at f/1.4-1.8 but the Sony having much better contrast. Both had some LoCA. The Sony has smoother bokeh wide open. I haven't seen any comparisons between the Sony and the newer Fuji 35mm f/2, but the Fuji f/2 is generally regarded as sharper than the f/1.4.

People say good things about the Sigma 19mm, 30mm, and 60mm. The Sigma 30mm might be a good replacement for the Sony E 35mm, but in the comparisons I've seen center sharpness at f/2.8 is similar between the two but the Sigma is sharper around the edges at f/2.8.

Just out of curiosity, why you'd switch from Fuji to Sony APS-C? I can imagine doing that if you're only using MF lenses, but when it comes to native lenses Fuji's APS-C line up is better in a bunch of ways. For better or worse, Sony's focus is on their FF system.

dills84 wrote:
Can someone help me? I want a fast (2.8ish) wide angle, a fast "normal" (1.8 or below), and I want them to be compact. All of the high end glass I'm seeing from sony is full frame and bulky. Are there any other options that are worth while? Or is soft glass just a known caveat of going Sony APS-C?

If you want a real normal (as in, focal length equals the format diagonal), maybe the Sony FE 28mm f/2? It's f/2 rather than f/1.8, but it'd be silly to look past it for that reason, it'll make no practical difference in shooting.

How wide is wide? The only good wide angle primes for APS-C E mount that are reasonably sized are the Sony E 24mm f/1.8, Zeiss Touit 12/2.8, Samyang 12/2.

If ultimate pixel level sharpness is your goal, you might want to look into switching to an A7 series and be willing to relax your requirements on either size, speed, or cross-frame sharpness. Alternately, go back to Fuji since you already know you liked the IQ.

Oct 12, 2016 at 02:48 PM
dills84
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

Thanks. I'm not looking for pixel level sharpness. But I like my images to "pop" with subject isolation. Here's a shot from yesterday. Shot at f1.8 on the 35mm. It just doesn't have the crispness I've become accustomed to.

I do appreciate everyone's responses! I overlooked sigma's offerings and the 19mm f2.8 looks like a great affordable contender.

Oct 12, 2016 at 02:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

It looks like Sony treats the APS-C line, at least the lenses, as a step son or daughter. They barely pay attention to its well being and the design of those lenses dates back several years ago back from the NEX era. A few are excellent but you have to pick and choose which. Beyond that, like others have mentioned, you will be better off getting lenses from independent manufacturers. On the other hand, they have been updating the APS-C cameras on a regular basis.

Oct 12, 2016 at 02:56 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

dills84 wrote:
Thanks. I'm not looking for pixel level sharpness. But I like my images to "pop" with subject isolation. Here's a shot from yesterday. Shot at f1.8 on the 35mm. It just doesn't have the crispness I've become accustomed to.

I do appreciate everyone's responses! I overlooked sigma's offerings and the 19mm f2.8 looks like a great affordable contender.

For that shot, it seems like a focus issue. His face is at the back side of the area in focus and therefore isn't as sharp. If you look closely there is a lot more in focus in front of his face (e.g., his shoes) than behind his face (the front of the step behind him is already starting to blur out of focus). My guess is that AF pick up on the seam of his pants rather than his eyes, which brought the focus just a bit too far forward.

I think it depends on how much you want to spend. I think the lenses you picked are not the best options for Sony APS-C. As people have said the Zeiss Touit 12mm is a great wide angle. The Sony/Zeiss 24 f/1.8 is a very good moderately wide lens. I really like the Zeiss Touit 32 f/1.8, but keep in mind it has a very classic planar rendering which will seem a bit soft wide open, but become very sharp stopped down. The Touit 50 macro is also an excellent macro. For a bit longer lens, I think the Sony/Zeiss 55 f/1.8 is an excellent portrait lens. All of these are pretty expensive lenses, however. If they are too much money, then consider the Sigma trio of the 19, 30, & 60 f/2.8 lenses. They are all very sharp and dirt cheap.

If you are willing to manual focus, then there are lots of options that are excellent as well, especially at the longer focal lengths.

Oct 12, 2016 at 03:06 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

There were rumours about a Sigma 14/3.5 for Sony E mount, but we've heard nothing more about it.

The Sony APS-C line relies too much on third parties for filling in the missing lenses.

Oct 12, 2016 at 03:10 PM
walts.photo
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

dills,

Your experience mirrors mine. I dumped my Fuji X-T1 and ventured back into mirrorless with Sony.

Very disappointed with the A6000 with most lenses. All my adapted Nikon lenses looked better on my cheap D5300 than on the A6000. So, I got rid of the A6000. The only lens that was ok was the 55 1.8, the 5th highest rated lens in the world (according to DXO)

People don't realize how sharp many of the Fuji lenses are since DXOMark doesn't test them.

Oct 12, 2016 at 03:16 PM
ravensight

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

dills84 wrote:
Hi All, I'm a Fuji user turned Sony. I came from an XT1 with 18-55 F2.8-4, 35 1.4, and 23 1.4... which were all absolutely incredible lenses. I also used an adapted Canon FD 50mm F1.4 as a manual portrait lens that did the job but was a little soft wide open.

I moved to a Sony system because I wanted something more versatile in the event that I wanted to shoot some video for whatever reason. I know I'd be giving up some IQ for switching systems but I had hopes it would be negligible.... I'm not THAT big
...Show more

If weight is not a concern I suggest the sigma 18-35mm f1.8 . AF is fast, quiet and the sharpness is amazing! optimized at f1.8, same for the 50-100mm in which you can search youtube videos that show sharpness at F4 is no more sharp than F1.8.

That is, again if weight is no concern.

Oct 12, 2016 at 03:18 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

Might want to switch back as Fuji seem to have put more effort into video recently.

FWIW your findings mirror mine when I tested out an A6000 a couple years ago. Nice camera but the lenses just didn't compare to either Fuji or the Sony FE lenses. Sure, you can use FE lenses, and the 55mm is a particularly good match, but most of the others are larger and more expensive than Fuji lenses. I really don't believe Sony expect people to use their APS-C cameras as primary bodies - though I'm certain some people do - otherwise they'd pay more attention to lenses.

Oct 12, 2016 at 03:38 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

Sounds like something is not right with your 35/1.8. Both the a and e mount versions of this lens are quite good. I loved the a mount version. What an amazing budget lens. And it does look like focus was off just a bit.

However, I am wondering if the "crispness" you mention could come down to the presence of an AA filter. As someone who went from the a7II to the Xpro2/XT2, the difference that stands out to me is the higher level of definition. This isn't noticed on the Sony bodies without the AA filter(a7r/II, RX1r/II), but unless I was shooting with the 55/1.8, I didn't really get the extreme sharpness and microcontrast that others got on the AA filterless bodies.

That didn't bother me too much. I prefered having a bit lower microcontrast in my images, particularly portraits. That 55/1.8 was a demon lens for skin flaws. Wow. Took more PP time than my Minolta 100/2, which while sharp, didn't have the extreme microcontrast. The color transitioning on that lens was sublime, and made for easier PP work.

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:23 PM
santiclaws
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

Steve Spencer wrote:
For that shot, it seems like a focus issue. His face is at the back side of the area in focus and therefore isn't as sharp. If you look closely there is a lot more in focus in front of his face (e.g., his shoes) than behind his face (the front of the step behind him is already starting to blur out of focus). My guess is that AF pick up on the seam of his pants rather than his eyes, which brought the focus just a bit too far forward.

My guess as well. Focus seems to be on the middle of his pant leg. I used to own the 35mm, it is waaaay sharper than what it looks like in that shot. Either the focus is not on his face or the lens is just a lemon. Usually, it is the former. I can imagine your disappointment, though - would have been a terrific shot. Grandma will still love the 4x6, though.

I also agree that a 24MP sensor will highlight lens shortcomings which are not apparent with a 16MP sensor. Your camera has one of the best APS-C sensors on the market, so if you're disappointed with the sharpness of the results you're getting with your old Nikon lenses, it is almost certainly not the fault of the sensor.

I own only an APS-C Sony, and for my purposes, the lenses are sufficient. I primarily use the Rokinon 12/2, the Sony 24/1.8 and the Sony 50/1.8. All are good, sharp lenses which are compact. I also have a 16-50 for casual snaps and a 55-210, which is much like the 16-50 - small, light and performs well if you're aware of its limitations and stay within them. I also have an assortment of legacy lenses. I rarely use the zooms, my primes cover 90%+ of what I shoot, so I'm perfectly satisfied with what I have.

Edited on Oct 12, 2016 at 04:30 PM · View previous versions

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:29 PM
dills84
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

ravensight wrote:
If weight is not a concern I suggest the sigma 18-35mm f1.8 . AF is fast, quiet and the sharpness is amazing! optimized at f1.8, same for the 50-100mm in which you can search youtube videos that show sharpness at F4 is no more sharp than F1.8.

That is, again if weight is no concern.

Weight is a huge concern, I'll be taking the camera hiking and ice climbing. That was another appeal to the Sony most of the APS-C lenses are very compact compared to fuji. I was really hoping the 16mm pancake wasn't total garbage! A 24mm super compact would be perfect.

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:30 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Dissapointed by Sony Glass. Suggestions?

Reading the rant and the need it seems to me that the answer can be found in the Fuji XT-2!

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:35 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password