end

Archive 2016 · TDP test of EF16-35mm f/2.8L III now available

artificialyello
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · TDP test of EF16-35mm f/2.8L III now available

RCicala wrote:
Bench tests are up.

16mm and 35mm. Mk II vs Mk III. The difference at 24mm is even more dramatic.

Coy!Roger? Here's the link to full test:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/10/canon-16-35mm-f2-8l-mark-iii-optical-bench-tests/

Oct 22, 2016 at 05:00 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · TDP test of EF16-35mm f/2.8L III now available

Milan Hutera wrote:
The original statement did not mention focusing distance at all.

You are 100% correct. The point I was trying to make was, however, that I don't believe an UWA lens, even an f/2.8 version, can provide any meaningful thin DoF except when focusing on very close subjects, in which case the f/4 can do it too. maybe the f/2.8 can do it a tiny bit better but as soon as you focus at 3m or beyond, the background is only marginally more OOF than with an f/4 lens. Certainly not possible to "isolate".
That said the f/2.8 offers other advantages like action stopping ability at less noise and less star trails with very long shutter speeds.

Oct 22, 2016 at 05:08 PM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · TDP test of EF16-35mm f/2.8L III now available

RCicala wrote:
Bench tests are up.

16mm and 35mm. Mk II vs Mk III. The difference at 24mm is even more dramatic.

Any chance of you adding coma data for lenses as well? For astrophotography coma is pretty important but few people test it.

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:17 PM
RCicala
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · TDP test of EF16-35mm f/2.8L III now available

Iwas joeking wrote:
Any chance of you adding coma data for lenses as well? For astrophotography coma is pretty important but few people test it.

The MTF bench doesn't really pull coma out by itself. We can show 5 micron pinhole images but they're analogue, not numerical data.

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:33 PM
woos
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · TDP test of EF16-35mm f/2.8L III now available

Looks great in the corners, wow.

I would say there isn't a ton of difference between it and the Tamron once you zoom in a little bit, but at 16mm in the corners there sure is at 2.8. How much of that is field curvature though on the Tamron is the question. And the Tamron has a MUCH more appealing price.

But that's rather misleading.

Canon actually has been pricing their new lenses rather fairly imho, especially compared to Nikon lol.

And the Tamron, in my opinion, is NOT really an accurate competitor to the new Canon lens. It's far more of a competitor to the Nikon 14-24mm.

The Tamron has image stabilization so it's going to be great for handheld video as long as the light doesn't go crazy. But it's really missing something BIG that the L's have.

Filters.

And yes I know you can get huge filters. I have a huge (i think it's like 140mm) ND filter with a foam and black tape ghetto adapter for it I made to use on my old sigma 8-16mm.

Not suitable for regular use. I know, I know, you can take a ton of pictures and average them to simulate an ND but that isn't always as nice. And you can't post process in a polarizing filter.

It's funny how in just a few years we went from not having many nice wide zooms on Canon to having a TON of awesome choices. And a ton of Canon branded choices that are priced fairly. (I have the 16-35mm f4).

Oct 22, 2016 at 09:21 PM
woos
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · TDP test of EF16-35mm f/2.8L III now available

dhachey wrote:
True. I thought Roger Cicala's review on LensRentals was much more informative. I'm torn between the f4 and new f2.8. I have V2 of the 2.8, but I just can't fall in love with it. Decisions, decisions...

You could sell it and get the F4 version and not really spend any more money. If you need the 2.8 only rarely you could always rent it.

Oct 22, 2016 at 09:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom_W
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · TDP test of EF16-35mm f/2.8L III now available

Curious - I know that there's barrel distortion at the wide end. It's almost unavoidable. But how does it compare to the 16-35 Mk II?

Oct 22, 2016 at 09:55 PM
woos
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · TDP test of EF16-35mm f/2.8L III now available

Tom_W wrote:
Curious - I know that there's barrel distortion at the wide end. It's almost unavoidable. But how does it compare to the 16-35 Mk II?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Distortion.aspx?FLI=0&FLIComp=0&Lens=1073&Camera=979&LensComp=412

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:13 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · TDP test of EF16-35mm f/2.8L III now available

Thanks, woos. I can't put a number on it, but it's better. Less barrel distortion at 16 mm.
Seems about the same at 24, 28, and 35. Might be better at 20 mm, but both are pretty linear by that focal length.

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:26 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · TDP test of EF16-35mm f/2.8L III now available

Great lens. The killer for this lens for astro is the vignetting. 4 stops in the corners is crazy. The Nikon 14-24 at 14 has less than 2 stops. Otherwise, the f4IS is just about as good at f8-f11 so I think I'd stick with the nikon for astro and 16-35 for everything else.

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:10 PM
cameron12x
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · TDP test of EF16-35mm f/2.8L III now available

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Massively better than the mk II, but not so much better than the f/4L IS, which looks like a bargain.

Indeed. The f/4L IS has been one of the best UWA bargains out there since its inception.

And by bargain I don't mean cutting corners (pun intended).

The corner-to-corner performance is simply outstanding for that zoom range at ANY price point.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:32 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password