Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2016 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas wou...

CheechzeppLn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

I think your 35mm 1.4 is the best choice for your trip. It keeps your camera small and light around your neck. Its super bright for when the sun goes down and is super sharp. Also when you need to put it away I bet your wife will not feel so bad about putting it in her purse because of it's petite size. A gorilla pod and a small flash like the hvl 20 is really worth your time too, both are small and easy to store away until needed.

Charlie

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:27 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

My wife and I don't talk about how little I helped with our son on that trip. Or how she carried all the kid stuff. It was a big reason I switched to Fuji and the 18-135. It works for just about anything in the daylight outside. If I need lower light shooting, I use the 23/1.4 only.

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:29 PM
garyrn
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

as a veteran of 50+ disney trips, and leaving 10/14 for an 11 day universal/disney trip, i would recommend either the 35 or the 24-70 zoom. this will be my 3rd trip with my a7r2, and based on prior experiences i think the 24-70 f4 works fine, maybe rent that and take the 35 for the occasional low light/night time stuff. several of the rides are very difficult to get anything useable, haunted mansion being one of them, the holy grail of disney ride shots is the caretaker on the haunted mansion. now the purpose if my upcoming trip is photography, i get together every year with a bunch of friends for a gathering we call pixelmania, and we devote 4 days to straight up disney photography stuff. we currently alternate between october and december each year and do the hard ticket parties, mickey's not so scary and mickey's very merry christmas. so in the bag this trip is batis 18, rented for some parade shots, some dark ride stuff, and to see if i like it enough to buy it. 24-70 f4, my usual walk around, 55 1.8, night time parade stuff, since i am doing not so scary twice, that is 4 night time parades to try some stuff on, to see what i like. rented the 70-300 for safari at animal kingdom and for some dancer and character face shots at the daytime parade. safari is tough, they usually do not slow down much, it's bumpy, you have to luck out and the desired animal be on your side of the vehicle, as a group once in awhile we have gotten a driver who has slowed up as much as possible without getting in trouble so as to give us a little better shot opportunities. i have also ridden and gotten as few as 2 keepers for the whole ride. and only once in that whole time has the lion been up and moving, they really do sleep as much as a housecoat. now none of this has been with a child along, let alone a 2 year old. so given that, i would say rent the 24-70 and enjoy the trip, you get what you get and that's that. i got the photo pass package a couple of years ago when i took a niece and her 4 year old daughter for a week, and i did get quite a few nice character photos, and it allowed my wife and i to be in the family moment, yes i had a camera along, but it wash;t my main focus.

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:56 PM
jfourc

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

I've been an Annual Pass holder at Disneyland for over 5 years now. I have an A7RII that I've taken with me to Disneyland consistently since I got mine in August 2015. I've tried a bunch of combinations of lenses with it. I also have an RX1RII - I tried bringing just that camera this past Sunday, and having just 35mm is enough.

If it were one lens - I would bring the FE 35/1.4.
Two lenses - Batis 18 + FE 35/1.4.
If it were me, I would just bring the FE 35/1.4, but if you feel safer with the Batis 18, then it wouldn't be too hard to bring that as well.

To me there is plenty of time to change lenses - you are going to be waiting in line a lot where your scenery is really not going to change all that often. And honestly, if you have a kid, you're all going to want to sit down for a bit even if he has a ton of energy.

I don't find much room for longer than 35mm to be honest - it's so crowded. I tried bringing my FE 55 a couple times, but I always find that it's too cramped for the most part - but I also favor 35 over 50 so it may be just that. I wouldn't even think about bringing the 85, but that could just be me.

I do find the wide aperture on the FE 35/1.4 to be useful because Disneyland or Disney World is completely different at night so you'll want night shots. Also, a lot of the rides are dark inside so the wide aperture will come in handy.

Don't forget comfortable shoes, and a comfortable bag!

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:14 AM
Mystik
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

itai195 wrote:
Yep. And then when you're constantly changing lenses you are slowing the whole group down. Not to mention dragging extra weight and bulk around, which will make a full day at the park with kids even more exhausting. It's just not worth it. A single zoom or moderately wide prime is enough. Bringing a long a fast prime to use at night is not a bad idea either.

Personally, I do a lot of this kind of stuff now that I have two young kids. I settled on an m43 kit for this, as I don't think any other system
...Show more

Eh there's plenty of down time to switch lenses when needed.....particularly because you will spend a lot of time in lines, or waiting for something to start. Also since the OP is bringing a 2 year old, he/she will likely bring a stroller. I hang my bag on the stroller most of the time. Also, I haven't been on a ride in the park where I wasn't able to put my bag between my legs. We go every year and I've brought various set-ups...usually 3 lenses.

I think the key is also to bring a good bag and camera carrying system. My last trip I had a think tank retrospective and used peak design capture clips to holster my camera and keep it readily available. If you pak right, the gear will never get in the way of enjoying your time there.

My rationale for bringing gear is this: when the trip is said and done, the only thing from the trip that will stay with you forever are the photos. Same thing I pitched when I used to shoot weddings.

Oct 13, 2016 at 08:00 AM
SharonCat...
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

TheEmrys wrote:
I thought that way at Disneyland. But when we were in line, I had nothing to change my lenses for. The way I shoot, I see something and picture the framing, and then change the lens as needed. I ended up shooting with the 24-70/4, and kept my 100/2 and 28/2 w/21mm converter in the bag. It was such a waste. There wre times I wished I had a brighter lens, but I didn't have an f/2.8 zoom.

I used my 17-70 as a walk around lens for family shots, day time parade and landscape shots then switched to the
...Show more

Oct 13, 2016 at 08:38 AM
itai195
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

Mystik wrote:
Eh there's plenty of down time to switch lenses when needed.....particularly because you will spend a lot of time in lines, or waiting for something to start. Also since the OP is bringing a 2 year old, he/she will likely bring a stroller. I hang my bag on the stroller most of the time. Also, I haven't been on a ride in the park where I wasn't able to put my bag between my legs. We go every year and I've brought various set-ups...usually 3 lenses.

I think the key is also to bring a good bag and camera carrying system.
...Show more

I fully agree about the importance of the photos. But in weddings, the photographer is not typically a member of the wedding party.

Everyone has their own idea of what they'll tolerate and what their limits are. For me, carrying 5 pounds of camera gear all day (the stroller typically has a diaper bag hung from it), thinking constantly about lenses and trying to anticipate shots, distracts greatly from the family experience. My main point is simply that the OP can capture great photos at the park with just the 24-70 or 35.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:29 AM
ggweci
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

I visited Disney World a couple a years ago with the family (wife and 2 young kids) and primarily used my Canon 6D w/ 40mm 2.8 pancake. Worked a charm - great focal length and bright enough given the good ISO performance with current cameras. Also had a Ricoh GR for the days/times when I just wanted to travel really light and take in the experience.

Agree that longer focal lengths will have limited use and there's no real desire to have the isolation those lenses afford. You want to include all of the beautiful backgrounds in the parks and it proves that your were actually there

Oct 14, 2016 at 08:02 PM
gunmetal
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

Very old thread but very useful. Thanks for all of the input.

I'm headed to Disneyworld for 4 days in a couple weeks and think I will go:

A7R3
Batis 18
Batis 25
Batis 40
Batis 85

But I will only bring 2 lenses each day to the park. We're spending a few days on the coast after Disneyworld so I really wanted to bring along the 18 for some big seascapes. Not sure how much use it will see inside the park.

Jan 02, 2020 at 11:59 AM
twentysevenone
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

I think you may as well make a new thread. But to answer your question I highly advise just one lens per day if you have a family to keep track of. I'm guessing the 25 and 40 will see the most action.

Jan 02, 2020 at 01:25 PM
saxguy
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

For my Last Disney trip I mostly used the 24GM and my 50 1.4 ZA - but I carry two bodies with me when I travel. 24 is a little wide for me, so in the future I'll take my Q2 and the 50 ZA on the a7r iv.

Jan 02, 2020 at 02:34 PM
Seha

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

I was in Disney a couple weeks ago with my 1 year old and wife.

My setup was 24mm GM + 50 mm 1.4 ZA, which is my regular travelling setup nowadays.

Jan 02, 2020 at 02:55 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

saxguy wrote:
For my Last Disney trip I mostly used the 24GM and my 50 1.4 ZA - but I carry two bodies with me when I travel. 24 is a little wide for me, so in the future I'll take my Q2 and the 50 ZA on the a7r iv.

with small kids and depending on how busy the park is, wide is a must just to get the shot. went a few days ago to disneyland, the park reached capacity........ it was packed like sardines through the entire park. The disney photographers make it their job to take key photos at certain places, so that's a worthy option. They'll clear out the area for a more pleasing shot, something that you may run into

Jan 02, 2020 at 03:03 PM
imagesfromobjects
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

One lens, something wider than 35mm because you'll be right next to the kid most of the time. 35mm is too narrow for up-close candids, unless you just want head and shoulders.

Jan 02, 2020 at 03:10 PM
thallikar
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

iPhone, Seriously.

Jan 02, 2020 at 03:23 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

I did Disney World and Universal with the family in the past year. Took the A7R3, 24 GM, and a Tamron 28-75 "just in case". The 24 never left the camera. Wide enough since you won't get a lot of breathing room typically, light enough to easily carry and put in a backpack, with f/1.4 to help with night stuff and fireworks.

Jan 02, 2020 at 03:45 PM
mcumeda

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

There is plenty of time to change lenses at the park. I am not sure when people are going to Disney World where you can just zip around to different rides/attractions without time to change a lens. Walking is generally slow moving there, and there is always a line to wait in.

I usually carry a wide zoom, standard zoom, and a wide prime.

We are planning another trip, and I think I am going to take the 17-28mm, 28-75mm, and the 25mm Batis.

I would walk around with the 17-28mm; use the 28-75mm for character meets/parades; and use the 25mm for shots on dark rides.

I mostly take pictures of my kids and their reactions to rides, parades, etc. I am not posing them or anything like. I could use my phone for most of my pictures except the dark ride stuff, but there are pictures that I hope they will treasure and look at years from now. I don't mind carrying 4 pounds worth of stuff to make sure I capture some nice moments. I also feel like I can work my camera faster than my phone.

I would take the 18 and the 24-70mm or the 18mm and 35mm. I like the pictures of my kids looking at the fireworks or looking at something on a ride. I turn off the screen and just use the EVF for dark ride pictures. I try to be as unobtrusive as I can.

Have fun! Also, weight might not be an issue since you will probably have a stroller.

Jan 02, 2020 at 03:53 PM
gunmetal
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

Charlie N wrote:
with small kids and depending on how busy the park is, wide is a must just to get the shot. went a few days ago to disneyland, the park reached capacity........ it was packed like sardines through the entire park. The disney photographers make it their job to take key photos at certain places, so that's a worthy option. They'll clear out the area for a more pleasing shot, something that you may run into

We're going the week of January 13 with is "supposed" to be one of the least busiest times of the year. I've got kids ranging from 17 all the way to 4 but the 17 and 15 year old are into photography so I may bring along a Panasonic GX9 and let them have at it while I just keep the Batis 25, 40 or 18 mounted.

Jan 02, 2020 at 04:10 PM
Mystik
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

mcumeda wrote:
There is plenty of time to change lenses at the park. I am not sure when people are going to Disney World where you can just zip around to different rides/attractions without time to change a lens. Walking is generally slow moving there, and there is always a line to wait in.

I usually carry a wide zoom, standard zoom, and a wide prime.

We are planning another trip, and I think I am going to take the 17-28mm, 28-75mm, and the 25mm Batis.

I would walk around with the 17-28mm; use the 28-75mm for character meets/parades; and use the
...Show more

This is pretty much why I gear up too. I enjoy photographing the parks themselves, but my take is that if there is ever an important time to bring your gear and photograph something well, it's when you are on on vacation with the family. As good as smartphones have become, they cannot photograph things as well as I envision them.

Of course you dont want the gear and photography to distract from enjoying the trip. Just be smart about packing and managing gear. Disney parks are purposely bag friendly, and there is plenty of time to change lenses as basically anything important you do involves waiting beforehand (lines, snagging an early spot for parade/fireworks etc)

Jan 02, 2020 at 04:20 PM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

I'm speaking from experience: you'll learn to hate your camera bag when you go to theme parks with your family. I'd recommend to go with a small 35mm lens with AF with your A7r2.

Jan 02, 2020 at 04:45 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.