Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son....

peter1219

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

I am traveling to Disney World with my wife and a 2 year old son pretty soon.

What I have:
Lens: batis 18, Zony 35 1.4, batis 85 and the 24-70 GM.
Body: a6000 and the a7rii.

Below are the options I have considered.
With a7rii
1) 18 + 24-70GM
2) 18 + 35
3) 35 + 24-70GM
4) 18 + 35 + 85

I would not consider taking 18, 24-70 and 85 together. I have done this on my recent trip and it was too heavy to manage. I considered taking 35 1.4 because it seems like I would be taking pics in fairly dark situations (indoors and after sunset) pretty often.

**Any thoughts would be very helpful!

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:58 AM
scrappydog
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

I suppose it depends on what you plan to shoot. If I only wanted one lens, it would be the 35 for the reason you stated -- it has the widest aperture and it's a good general FL. The 24-70 is the most versatile. If you are shooting big interiors, like the lobbies of the Grand Floridian or Animal Kingdom Lodge, the 18 will be useful. It's not very versatile beyond that IMO. If I wanted great shots of the animals at the Animal Kingdom park and at the lodge (or a side trip to Gatorland), a telephoto would be useful, hence a reason to bring the 85. If I took two lenses, it would be Option 3: the 35 and 24-70. Generally speaking, smaller is better there because you have to secure the camera on rides and you will walk a lot.

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:48 AM
gocolts
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

We take our daughter to Disney World every February, and my A7R2 went this past year, with my most used lens being an FE 16-35 f/4. I've since sold that lens in favor of a Batis 18. This upcoming trip, I plan to take the Batis 18, FE 24-70 f/4, and FE 28 f/2. All will fit easily in my 24L hiking backpack with camera insert, with room to spare for water/snacks.

For focal length, I'm anticipating the 24-70 will get the most use, with the Batis 18 reserved for shots at character dinners (no room to move & they come right up to your table), and the 28 f/2 for after-dark stuff.

While my daughter is older, I'd say with a 2 year old you'll want to keep it as simple as possible. I'd go with option #1. If you're really worried about low light, pick up an FE 28mm (that 35 1.4 is pretty big) used, and you can probably sell it when you get back and not lose much if you decide you don't need it anymore.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:40 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

You must have a patient family if you've got time to switch prime lenses. If you don't have time, why not just take a single lens - either the zoom or the 35? Both would give you good general coverage.

Personally, both of those lenses seem unbearable to carry around all day with my family, but I like to keep my kit lighter in such occasions so I'm not weighted down. I'd take the 28 or 35/2.8 if I were bringing the A7.

It's really subjective though. I find it's important to be present with the family and carrying lots of camera stuff, or needing to get every single shot, distracts from that.

Edited on Oct 12, 2016 at 04:02 PM · View previous versions

Oct 12, 2016 at 03:55 PM
Mystik
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

I'd go 18-35-85.

We went last June and I had a pretty robust kit with me (including a 24-70 F4ZA). Most of the trip was shot on my RX1RII, and Loxia 21. 35mm is the sweet spot for documentary photos and environmental portraiture....plus the aesthetic of a fast aperture 35 is something you can't create with a zoom. UWA of somesort for shots of the parks themselves. The 85 was actually useful for shots where I wanted some environment, but wanted a somewhat compressed FOV and very shallow DOF to contend with crowds.

Oct 12, 2016 at 03:57 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

Seriously do you like being married, take a iPhone and just have fun.

I'm kidding but not really.

Oct 12, 2016 at 03:59 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

24-70 and that is it. Everything else is bait for theft. And switching a lens? Not worth the hassle and delay you are causing. Every time you are delaying your family for a switch of lenses, you are justifying EVERY delay EVERY family member wants to make.

Just let yourself be limited to one amazing soom that can do just about everything you need, but not everything you want.

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:34 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

Agree. One lens

You there to be with your family , have fun and take some nice shots of your child. Leave it at that as really your not trying to create ART anyway. You will be busy enough chasing your kid down.

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:38 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

Take all the lenses, and only carry one when you are with family (or even just the phone or small P&S). With a two year old there should be "down" times when you can hopefully get creative and carry all the lenses you want. Have fun.

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:54 PM
JimUe
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

I went for 7 days a month ago. I took my a900, 14/2.8 & 35/1.4. I wished I just took my 14/2.8. A flash woulda helped (when in dark corners of Character Dining restaurants) but with the A7R2, you probably wouldn't need it.

I just finished PP and printed bout 60 keepers this past weekend. Most of my time in post was: 1) increasing shadows; 2) noise reduction; 3) leveling perspective and 4) cropping. Ideally if an AF 16/1.4 existed that'd be perfect, so your 18 would be pretty close. Just make sure horizon is level.

I don't know what you would do with a 85. People are everywhere so unless you're doing street, I don't see the point. Primarily all my photos were of my daughter and the 14 Disney Princesses (and a few Disney animal characters but there were a few multiples). Sometimes space is tight so the 14mm helped a lot, but at other times I felt I was encroaching in the character's personal space. Hope you and your son are into that.

EPCOT outside could have been photogenic at night if it weren't for all the coloured spotlights on everything. Once the night came, I shoulda just packed it in.

Disney has staff with Nikon D7200s everywhere that you can get family photos from if you buy a photo package. It'd be overstretching to call them photographers though. Direct flash is used and I got a bunch of tilted photos with weird shadows.

MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR EQUIPMENT AS FAR AWAY FROM ICE COLD A/C UNITS AT NIGHT and let it warm up for a while in your bag each morning before exposing it to the humidity.

I wish I spent more of my evenings relaxing with beer at the hotel pool and hot tub.

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gocolts
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

As for the comments on switching lenses....I get it. I should clarify that when I took 3 lenses, the 24-70 was on there most the time, and if we sat down to a character dinner I'd quickly change lenses just for that meal, and then before we left I'd switch to the 28mm f/2 as it'd be getting dark. I never changed lenses walking around the parks, too much of a hassle.

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:20 PM
xpfloyd
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

Just came back from a Florida vacation and done all the Disney parks. I carried the a7rii, Batis 18, Batis 25 and Batis 85. I didn't take a single 18mm shot in any of the parks and I took very minimal 85mm shots. The weight was fine though but wouldn't want to go heavier.

If I was to do it again it would be the a7rii and Batis 25 only in a smaller bag. If I had your lenses I would take the 35 and nothing else

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:18 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

normally, I enjoy the 'what lens' or 'build a kit' threads, although it's become less interesting to me now that i've nearly figured things out - but [email protected]#$
I have to admit, we never took our kids (our youngest is 8 and we're nearly in the clear) - but I would never take more than 1 lens and more likely would take a P&S. Not only would i want to be able to be active and enjoy myself - but with that many kids/people around, someone is going to get knocked in the head (or worse, they'll knock my gear!)

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:45 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

Just the 24-70 GM. Keep it simple, it's not a photo assignment.

Personally, I have the "lesser" Zeiss 24-70/4 OSS and it works great for general walk around.

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:54 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

What are you going for? Is this a family vacation or a professional photo shoot with the wife and kid in tow? Are photos destined for a gallery or a hard drive?

If you spend all your time fiddling with a camera and the "right" lens I can guarantee your wife will be angry at you and the kid will be cranky because of the interruption in its routine.

Oct 12, 2016 at 07:05 PM
peter1219

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments!!

It seems like I should choose a main lens (Zony 35 or 24-70 GM) that I would use 90% of the time and at most a 18mm which would come out occasionally when needed. Or if 24 is wide enough, another option would be to take two main lenses: 24-70GM for the day, 35 Zony for after sunset.

I agree that my wife and son would get mad if I try to swap lenses in the middle of the street in Disney World.

Oct 12, 2016 at 07:16 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

Disney has mercilessly beaten me down into only bringing my RX100. And I carry a 1-body, 3-lens camera kit elsewhere on vacation all the time. In your situation, I'd do 35mm on the camera and a fill flash.

Oct 12, 2016 at 07:21 PM
SharonCat...

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

TheEmrys wrote:
24-70 and that is it. Everything else is bait for theft. And switching a lens? Not worth the hassle and delay you are causing. Every time you are delaying your family for a switch of lenses, you are justifying EVERY delay EVERY family member wants to make.

Just let yourself be limited to one amazing soom that can do just about everything you need, but not everything you want.

There's plenty of time to switch lenses while you wait in line or wait for the parade to start or wait to be seated at a restaurant or wait for the monorail or wait for the fireworks to start... there's lots of waiting at Disney.

That being said - if you are set on taking your dslr, take the zoom. You'll need it to work around the crowds.

Oct 12, 2016 at 07:33 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

I thought that way at Disneyland. But when we were in line, I had nothing to change my lenses for. The way I shoot, I see something and picture the framing, and then change the lens as needed. I ended up shooting with the 24-70/4, and kept my 100/2 and 28/2 w/21mm converter in the bag. It was such a waste. There wre times I wished I had a brighter lens, but I didn't have an f/2.8 zoom.

SharonCat... wrote:
There's plenty of time to switch lenses while you wait in line or wait for the parade to start or wait to be seated at a restaurant or wait for the monorail or wait for the fireworks to start... there's lots of waiting at Disney.

That being said - if you are set on taking your dslr, take the zoom. You'll need it to work around the crowds.

Oct 12, 2016 at 08:17 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which lens to take? ; Disney World with a 2 year old son. Any ideas would help!

Yep. And then when you're constantly changing lenses you are slowing the whole group down. Not to mention dragging extra weight and bulk around, which will make a full day at the park with kids even more exhausting. It's just not worth it. A single zoom or moderately wide prime is enough. Bringing a long a fast prime to use at night is not a bad idea either.

Personally, I do a lot of this kind of stuff now that I have two young kids. I settled on an m43 kit for this, as I don't think any other system can quite match its small lenses. If I do decide to take the A7r2 for a family outing, it's pretty much only with the 35/2.8 or 55.

Oct 12, 2016 at 08:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password